Missingno is beating Sephiroth in the gamefaqs poll

Missingno is not eligible in the gamefaqs character contest.

Accoring to nintendo:

"MissingNO is a programming quirk, and not a real part of the game. When you get this, your game can perform strangely, and the graphics will often become scrambled. The MissingNO Pokémon is most often found after you perform the Flight Safari Zone Pokémon trick [or Viridian Old Man trick]. To fix the scrambled graphics, try releasing the MissingNO Pokémon."

Since missingno is "not a real part of the game" it is not a video game character in any game. In order to be part of this contest, characters must exist in video games. Missingno is not a real character and therefore not eligible.

Accoring to nintendo:

Since missingno is "not a real part of the game" it is not a video game character in any game. In order to be part of this contest, characters must exist in video games. Missingno is not a real character and therefore not eligible.

It's in the game, so either you are misinterpreting what Nintendo meant or they were speaking falsely.

And clearly a majority of the poll respondents thus far disagree!

Edited by Fruitloop Multipuck

Accoring to nintendo:

GameFAQs disagrees.

GFAQS.jpg

GameFAQs disagrees.

GFAQS.jpg

I know, but by disagreeing with my completely correct opinion, gamefaqs (and its userbase) denies itself the ability to properly rank characters.

Therefore, as a rational judge, I have more authority than gamefaqs and have been empowered by my own brilliance with choosing the winners of this character battle.

EDIT-The winner of the 2010 Character Battle is Hiro Miyamoto of Daikatana.

Edited by SeverIan

As of now, Sephiroth has 18947 votes (51.27% of the votes) and Missingno has 18010 votes (48.73%)....

As for me, I voted for Sephiroth. :P

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Sephiroth is winning 34,356 to 30,671, ergo about 3685 votes ahead.

I voted for Missingno. for the lol factor. If it beats Sephiroth, it's probably going to keep going until it meets Link, maybe all the way.

Aww...I would have voted for Missingo. It should of won because it can crush Pokemon game saves into dust (most likely by catching it and saving which is not recommended with actual carts) (if your not careful), or most likely just crashing your game. It can crash games, gives you 128 items in the sixth section of the item list upon which Sephiroth is just a silly mamas boy being born from a deluted man named by a mad scientist!

Edited by Ayanami

24396 to 22396, so OedipusRoth is winning by exactly 2000 votes at this point. I hope M.No comes back and wins.

I don't see it. An Oedipus complex is just as much about father-envy/hatred as it is about desire for the mother. The only possible argument is that Sephiroth develops a complex in which he views the Shinra president as his father, but IMO that's extremely problematic primarily because tthe shinra pres doesn't have some kind of relationship with jenova that sephiroth covets.

The other problem is that an oedipus complex is an unconscious, submerged set of desires developed at a very young age, which then influence our desires later on. Meanwhile Sephiroth's obsession with Jenova is at the forefront of his personality, so it can't even be called a complex.

As for being compared directly to Oedipus, the sex with mom thing is tenuous at best (especially since oedipus does so in an attempt to avoid it), and any other notable attributes of the character are not found in Sephiroth AFAIK.

Nope. I just don't see it. There's just no way I can accept such an idea. Because video games are serious business. I could see Sephiroth's backstory as being influenced by the idea of the oedipal complex, but I don't think he's intended to be read as actually having one.

Edited by SeverIan

I know, but by disagreeing with my completely correct opinion, gamefaqs (and its userbase) denies itself the ability to properly rank characters.

It's Gamefaqs. Nothing has to make sense.

why are people caring

The man raises a point.

Hojo is Sephiroth's father. Sephiroth hates Hojo.

Oh, he does?

I don't remember FF7 that well then. I didn't remember sephiroth expressing feelings towards hojo one way or the other! I need to play that game agian!

EDIT-I skimmed the game script a little bit. I don't see any indication that Sephiroth even knew hojo existed. In fact, Hojo says as much.

Edited by SeverIan