Thracia 776 translation patch

Ansem

What's not done exactly?

I'm guessing you're talking about about the latest patch by Shaya, which still has a few things incomplete. I don't think they're going to work on it for a long time.

What's not done exactly?

I'm guessing you're talking about about the latest patch by Shaya, which still has a few things incomplete. I don't think they're going to work on it for a long time.

It is

Anyways im not going to play it

The graphics are terrible and Leaf sucks

No the graphics in FE4 were even better then the ones in FE5

You know, I kinda agree on this. I'm not sure which one actually has better graphics, but it just seemed like fe4 was more polished and just looked better overall.

I think it's just a matter of taste.

In my view, a lot of the FE4 graphics (maps, stat screens) looked kind of grainy compared to FE5. I found FE5 to be more polished in general, if unnecessarily dark (such as the map sprites).

I think it's just a matter of taste.

I suppose. I think it just had some different style choices and I liked fe4's more. It doesn't help that the fe5 translation patch I have doesn't do as good a job with the menus as the fe4 translation patch does.

No the graphics in FE4 were even better then the ones in FE5

You're handwaving the argument that I presented. It wasn't even that difficult to address it. You could've said something about graphics enhancing gameplay or something, but you just handwaved my point. Perhaps I should present it a different way.

What do graphics have to do with the worth of a game?

Edited by General Spoon

You're handwaving the argument that I presented. It wasn't even that difficult to address it. You could've said something about graphics enhancing gameplay or something, but you just handwaved my point. Perhaps I should present it a different way.

They don't necessarily have anything to do with how "good" the game is, in terms of the functionality of it all. RD compared to fe4 has similar ideas. They add things like shoving and rescuing (and there are no healing items in fe4), but there are still staves to heal units and you attack the enemy and those have similar methods.

However, they certainly have something to do with how bearable the game is to play. If a person feels like his/her eyes are bleeding every time (s)he looks at the screen, I think it is only natural that the person would not want to finish it. Some games are just too different from what some people are used to that they can't stand it.

(I grew up on the original Zelda, so I don't have that problem. Still hate the Elevator Shaft chapter (Intruder Excluder) in Battletoads, though, no matter how long it has been since I last tried it. But that has nothing to do with graphics.)

Everything

If a person wants to play a new game they are going to look at the graphics first

It can be the best ame in the world but if it has bad graphics noone is going to wat to play it

Generally people who rate videogame holds graphics to some level in the overall experience in videogames. But it may vary depending on the game. For example: FF7 had mediocre graphics for its time and its translation was terribad. People who once loved it are starting to realized that it isn't that great of a game. Factors like story, tranlation, sound/music (to an extent), characterization, and gameplay can stand test of time, but things like graphics are not so they may hold older videogames back unless other factors like those listed above can make up for it.

Edited by Brighton

Everything

If a person wants to play a new game they are going to look at the graphics first

It can be the best ame in the world but if it has bad graphics noone is going to wat to play it

I don't see why this should be true. Gameplay and story and things like that are the most important. If the controls are clunky but the graphics are amazing, how is that better than if the controls are perfect and the graphics merely adequate (or even a bit bad)? If the characters are blocky and the landscapes a bit pixelated or something, that shouldn't matter as long as you can see what is going on and thus react, and the controls are responsive enough that you don't feel constrained by bad programming. As long as the graphics are bearable, they should not be nearly as important as everything else that makes up a game.

Obviously some people have a higher tolerance for mediocre to bad graphics than others. People that grew up with stuff like duck hunt and legend of zelda probably find it easier to appreciate the gameplay in a game like fe5 without crying over the graphics than others.

I don't see why this should be true. Gameplay and story and things like that are the most important. If the controls are clunky but the graphics are amazing, how is that better than if the controls are perfect and the graphics merely adequate (or even a bit bad)? If the characters are blocky and the landscapes a bit pixelated or something, that shouldn't matter as long as you can see what is going on and thus react, and the controls are responsive enough that you don't feel constrained by bad programming. As long as the graphics are bearable, they should not be nearly as important as everything else that makes up a game.

Obviously some people have a higher tolerance for mediocre to bad graphics than others. People that grew up with stuff like duck hunt and legend of zelda probably find it easier to appreciate the gameplay in a game like fe5 without crying over the graphics than others.

Importance of graphics can vary game to game, but having good graphics are never held to be a bad thing in the overall enjoyment of a game, I think what he means is that graphics hold a "first impression" so to speak between the gamer and game so that it may improve ones opinion of a game. For example, FFV and FFVI are my favorite games ever, but my initial reaction was meh because of the way I saw the graphics, gameplay and stuff was able to win me over eventually, but the overall experience would have been much better if the graphics were more than just 16 bit sprites

Edited by Brighton

Importance of graphics can vary game to game, but having good graphics are never held to be a bad thing in the overall enjoyment of a game, I think what he means is that graphics hold a "first impression" so to speak between the gamer and game so that it may improve ones opinion of a game. For example, FFV and FFVI are my favorite games ever, but my initial reaction was meh because of the way I saw the graphics, gameplay and stuff was able to win me over eventually, but the overall experience would have been much better if the graphics were more than just 16 bit sprites

Certainly the graphics can give a good first impression. If the graphics are jaw-dropping (in a good way) and all that then a person might be led to believe that the other parts of the game are just as polished. This belief is frequently wrong, of course, but it does mean that great games with decent graphics can certainly be overlooked by those that didn't do the research.

The question, however, was:

"What do graphics have to do with the worth of a game?"

The answer was "everything". I reject that answer and substitute my own.

...Unless he was answering the monetary worth of the game, in which graphics certainly play a huge role (though they are still not "everything"). But I think it should be obvious that the question was intended to address how much the graphics matter for how good the game actually is. And there are many other important factors that determine how good a game is beyond mere graphics, as you yourself have pointed out with the comment about the "gameplay and stuff" in ff5 and ff6 (I love ff6, by the way).

5. Avoid derailing threads. Our definition of derailing a thread consists of going off-topic for 3 or more posts. An example of going off-topic is discussing why Volke is better than Sothe (two FE9 characters) in a topic about Thieves in Fire Emblem DS. While another may be discussing why Fire Emblem DS's Wi-Fi battles are bad, when the topic was about making a Wi-Fi battle team. In these cases, it is probably wise to make a new topic.

From asking for the FE5 translation to general video game graphics discussion... yeah. I can't see this thread going back on topic, it has been derailed enough and it'll likely continue to go around in circles so it's closing time.

You may continue the graphics discussion in a new thread.

Edited by Speedwagon