Bluffing Quiz - The Game

Tables

This is the Bluffing Quiz that people have signed up for. If you're interested, there's still time to sign up! (If you'd like to, either post in the thread or send me a PM - PM is preferred, I can reply directly with the quiz)

I know I explained the rules badly before, so hopefully things will start to make sense with a better explanation and then an example.

There are 5 rounds, each round has 3 parts. In general, each part will last about 24-36 hours, maybe longer, but a minimum of 24 hours. That means the entire quiz could take up to 2 weeks.

In round 1, any points are actually half the amount stated! This should help you learn the game, and anyone can join from the start of round 2 without being massively disadvantaged.

Part 1: The Quiz

Each participant will be sent a copy of the questions - there are 7 questions (the average of what people wanted from the options available), which are part Fire Emblem, part General Knowledge. Each question is worth 10 points, although some may have two parts of 5 points each, or other splits etc. Once you have the questions, please do NOT use anything but your own knowledge to answer the questions - no google, wikipedia, or Serenes Forest browsing. Of course, I won't know if you have cheated, so honour system rules, I guess. After sending your answers back to me, I'll reply with your score and you can start talking about the quiz in the topic.

Part 2: The Score discussion/Bluffing

Once you have your score, you can discuss with other people about the quiz and try to find out how they did. I'll also post the questions and answers for all to see. You can lie, tell the truth, generally do whatever you want to try and mislead people's ideas about the questions.

The actual scored part of this round is the score guessing. You will get to make a guess, in the forum about what you think the average score is. If you get the score exactly right, you get 60 points. Then for every point off you are, you get 3 points less. In laymans terms, better guess, more points. Once you've made a guess, I'm going to ask you not to change it. One guess for the round.

Part 3: The ranking discussion

After Part 2, you'll be told your score from part 2 and your total score so far, but not how your score compares to everyone else. That's for you to try and guess in this round. Once again, you have to make a guess on the forum, this time for your overall rank. An important note is that it is your rank over the game so far, not just the round you're in. One catch is that you can't guess a rank someone else has already claimed - if the game had 4 people, and two had guessed they were 1st and 3rd, you would have to guess either 2nd or 4th, even if you think you are first. So going later obviously means less choice, but it also means you have a better idea of how others are doing.

The points for this are: 30 points for getting your rank correct, then 20 for being 1 rank out, and 5 less for each rank out after that.

After this, you're told you score again, and the next round starts.

To help explain the rules, here's a worked example:

Part 1

I eat tables gets PMed the quiz. He answers the questions, and gets told he scored 40 points (4/7).

Part 2

I eat tables says on the thread he found the quiz easy, and got 7/7. VincentASM said he found it easy as well, and got 6/7. I eat tables decides to guess on an average score of 54/70

Part 3

The actual average was 43/70, so I eat tables gets 27 points. He had 42 points already from round 1, which he thought was good, so he decides he might be 3rd. VincentASM however, had already guessed he was 3rd, so he has to go for another rank - he's optimistic and goes for 2nd. It turns out he was 4th, and so he gets 15 points (2 ranks out).

His score at the end of this round is 42 + 40 + 27 + 15 = 124.

Note that, from this information, he can work out he was in 4th. If he'd got 20 points, he would only know he was either 1st or 3rd, so in this case, losing those 5 points might help him next round.

Here are the rules:

General:

• Don't edit posts if you can help it (I'll be fine with posts that are edited within a minute of posting - grammar and stuff is okay)
  • Breaking a rule once will get a warning. Breaking a rule after will get point deductions.
  • Have fun! (Not strictly a rule, but...)

Part 1 (Quiz):

• Just answer the questions, by PM, as soon as possible.
  • Don't look up answers online or by any other means - use your brainpower for all it's worth!

Part 2 (Score):

• Feel free to discuss the questions in whatever way you want - you can lie about answers, or be completely honest, or generally do whatever you want.
  • Make one guess at the average score during the round - that is, the average of everyone's score from the quiz. Whole number guesses are preferable, but if you want to be awkward, so be it ¬_¬. Once you've made a guess, you can't change it, and I'll try to give everyone a chance to guess, if they're being a bit slow.
  • Bold your guess so I can find it easily, and please give it in terms of points (out of 70). This is mainly for my convenience which is incredibly important

Part 3 (Rank):

• Make one guess on the forum at what rank you think you're in overall. Once again, once you've guessed, you can't change it. Think carefully.
  • You can't guess you're in the same rank as another player, if they guess first.
  • Identically scored players will be treated as occupying both ranks - so if 2nd and 3rd are tied, 2nd and 3rd would both give you 30 points, 1st and 4th would give you 20 etc.

List of players:

Admiral Lifey Crunch

Kai

Zath of the Sword

Reinfleche

cheezperson

CrashGordon94

Balcerzak

mikethfc

(Proto? A wynaut picture isn't entirely descriptive).

Current part: Round 2, Part 3 (rank) and Round 3, Part 1 (Quiz)

Edited by Black Bomb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're waiting on one person to finish the quiz, so I won't post the answers yet, but asides from that round 2 can start. Discuss your scores and make a guess at the average (note: Since decimal averages are very much possible, so are decimal guesses, and you could very easily end up with a bizzare score, as I'm going to use an adapted formula (for the curious, 60-|a-x|*3, where a is the average and x is your guess).

Well, now I'm feeling stupid. I clearly didn't expect to do worse than Crash. I got questions 1 and 6 correct. Other questions were a lot harder than I expected. Never played FE4, last played Sacred Stones 4 years ago, never been a big history buff, etc. Things like that add up. Clearly I should do a little more browsing of SF to prepare myself for the future rounds.

I'm going to have to wait for a few more people to chime in to see whether 20 points or full points is the more commonly claimed end of the spectrum before submitting my actual score guess, however.

Edit: grammar.

Edited by Balcerzak

I got questions 1 and 6 correct.

I highly doubt this. You're doing a Ph.D in Switzerland (in something but I'd say it's science based) but you didn't know that Calcium Carbonate is chalk (question 2)? I mean, I'm only a first year university student and I knew this back in Grade 11.

I highly doubt this. You're doing a Ph.D in Switzerland (in something but I'd say it's science based) but you didn't know that Calcium Carbonate is chalk (question 2)? I mean, I'm only a first year university student and I knew this back in Grade 11.

Would you believe me if I told you I got it confused with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?

Would you believe me if I told you I got it confused with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)?

Possibly. Except I think that the Ca in CaCO3 should have tipped you off.

My first response was actually going to be limestone to that but chalk is the universal answer.

The last member is now too late for submitting his quiz. I won't be considering his score (0) in the average :P.

Q1: Nice easy starting question... if Marcus, Bartre and Karel are in an army together, who might their lord be?

Any one of Ephraim Eliwood, Hector or Roy was acceptable. (Thanks Admiral, spotted the... er... intentional mistake).

Q2: What is calcium carbonate commonly known as?

Chalk or Limestone.

Q3: My 20/20 Nephenee has maxed Speed in FE:PoR, and I transfer her to RD. What boosts does she get?

+2 Spd

Q4: Mental arithmetic – Add the year of the Battle of Hastings to that of Pearl Harbour.

1066 + 1941 = 3007

Q5: What notable glitch might occur if you make Sety Levin's son?

The answer I was looking for was his speed wrapping back to be low (he should come with capped Speed). I also accepted his speed dropping to 15 after levelling from 29, which I've seen reported a few times - unconfirmed, but it's the first round so I'll be generous.

Q6: Which quartet comprised Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael and Donatello?

The Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles

Q7: In Sacred Stones, name at least one of the changes that occurs depending on your main lord, in chapter 16: Ruled by Madness

Ephraim's party starts further west, the enemy locations are different, Orson has different weapons, the Theives arrive in different places at different times, as do the other reinforcements... there may be others I've missed too.

Note: For convenience, could you bold your guess at the score - and it's probably better in terms of points (eg. 50 points) rather than questions correct (e.g. 1/7), although I'll accept either.

Edited by I eat tables

Q1: Nice easy starting question... if Marcus, Bartre and Karel are in an army together, who might their lord be?

Any one of Ephraim, Hector or Roy was acceptable.

Really? I was always under the impression that Ephraim lived on Magvel and fought sissy monster but hey, we learn something new every day.

I'm going to go with 6/7. I honestly think Bal is lying about getting only 2 of them right (he's smart enough not to mix Calcium Carbonate and there is this thing called the internet...) and got 5 or 6 of them in truth.

I only got 3/7. I got all the FE ones right except the FE4 question.

Can't believe I didn't get the Ninja Turtles one, though... I have one of the games, too... ugh.

I'd say the average is 4.33/7 since everyone else did pretty good (I dun believe Bal).

It was at the bottom of my post so I'm not surprised it was missed, but please give scores in terms of points in the future, and in bold :). Makes it much easier for me to see.

For this round, these are the scores I've seen:

CrashGordon94: 25/35 (5/7) - first guess counts, I'm afraid

Admiral Lifey Crunch: 30/35 (6/7)

mikethfc: 25/35 (5/7)

Reinfleche: 21.65/35 (4.33/7)

Edited by I eat tables

I'm going to go with 6/7. I honestly think Bal is lying about getting only 2 of them right (he's smart enough not to mix Calcium Carbonate and there is this thing called the internet...) and got 5 or 6 of them in truth.

Think what you want. And anyway, as far as the Internet goes, I was under the impression it was an "1) Open spoiler tags, 2) Go down the list answer immediately, 3) Do not check your work, do not pass go, do not collect $200". The reason for the spoiler tags was if you opened the PM at a time where you couldn't for some reason devote the five minutes needed to the 7 questions.

Clearly everybody else is doing well, or thinks everyone else is doing well by the votes of things, so I guess I vote 4/7 or 20 points (due to the halving for first round).

If there's no objections, I'm going to shorten the game to 3 rounds. Each round is going a bit slower than I anticipated. Also, Part 3 will run concurrently with part 1 of the next round - they're separate anyway, so it should be fine.

Next part will start about midday GMT tomorrow.

I got the first two and last two right and I'm guessing everyone got those four questions right as well. Questions 3 and 5 seem like they could be answered by many others so yeah, I'd say the average would be somewhere near five. I'm guessing the average would be something like 4.78/7

Your scores are being sent now, along with Round 2's quiz. You also need to guess at your rank... which reminds me, I really should have posted a list of who's playing...

Admiral Lifey Crunch

Kai

Zath of the Sword

Reinfleche

cheezperson

CrashGordon94

Balcerzak

mikethfc

Proto