Mafia Roles

General Spoon

Here are some roles that I am considering including in future mafia games. I would like some input/feedback/comments/etc on them. I'd also like to know if anything is unclear so that I can clean that up before I actually put some of these roles in a game.

Baker

Can give bread to one player every night. Once a baker dies, famine starts 1/2 day after his death. During famine, a number of players (equal to the number of dead bakers) will be randomly selected to starve at the end of every 1/2 day. If a player selected to starve has bread, he will eat the bread and survive. Sided with the town.

Bulletproof

Can survive one shot. Sided with the town.

Deputy

If a cop dies, the deputy recives all of the cop's past investigations and can carry out his own. Sided with the town.

Nurse

If a doctor dies, the nurse can protect people at night. Sided with the town.

Framer

Can frame one person every night. If investigated, that person appears guilty. Sided with the mafia.

Lawyer

Can pick on person every night. If investigated, that person appears innocent. Sided with the mafia.

Stalker

Can stalk one person every night. The stalker will know that person's role by morning. Sided with the mafia.

Yakuza

At night, can choose to sacrifice self to convert one player into a mafia goon. If protected by the doctor at night when he uses his power, the conversion will go through and the yakuza will live. Sided with the mafia.

Traitor

Wins only if the mafia wins. The traitor does not know who the mafia are, and the mafia do not know who the traitor is. If investigated, appears to be town. The traitor is a third-party role.

Serial Killer

Must kill a person every night. Wins only if last one standing (meaning, one of the last two players alive). If investigated, appears to be town. Can survive one shot. The Serial Killer is a third-party role.

Edited by General Spoon

Some (but not all) of these are ones that Bizz and I are considering for the Choral mafia game, so obviously there's some good ones in there :P.

Baker: Could be a good role to limit the power of the innocents

Bulletproof: A nice simple role, it works

Deputy: Basically means the investigations are more likely to continue for longer, so it works I suppose.

Nurse: Ditto Deputy

Framer: Nice mafia role

Lawyer: Ditto Framer

Stalker: Again, nice mafia role, basically a detective for the mafia.

Yakuza: I'm not too keen on this one. I wouldn't want to use it unless I thought I was about to die, and furthermore I kinda don't like the idea of innocents suddenly becoming Mafia.

Traitor: He seems like a very weak role, in that the mafia are likely to kill him and the town are too. I've never had one used so I'm not sure, but it seems pretty unlikely to me that he'll survive to win.

Serial Killer: An interesting role, but in a way it's just the mafia/werewolves thing again but with a single, superpowered werewolf. It could work.

The Yazuka and traitor ones sound kinda lame, and the Bullet-proof and Serial Killer has the obvious disadvantage of if they're targeted one night, the Mafia knows they have one of those two roles and can kill them the next night. Plus, as soon as they were attempted to be killed then everyone would know that they were a special role.

I like them except for Baker or Yakuza. Not sure about Serial Killer either, but the rest are good. Always nice to add some depth to both sides.

How about an Army Veteran who, the first time anyone tries to kill him at night (mafia, vigilante, serial killer) he shoots them down. Sure, he's dead meat the next night, but it's like a more effective Bulletproof. Don't know how it'll work in practice, but hey!

The traitor wouldn't have to survive to win. His win condition is that the mafia wins. He will want to help them by trying to figure out who the mafia are so that he can help them during the day, and by generally disrupting the town.

How about an Army Veteran who, the first time anyone tries to kill him at night (mafia, vigilante, serial killer) he shoots them down. Sure, he's dead meat the next night, but it's like a more effective Bulletproof. Don't know how it'll work in practice, but hey!

Yes, I had been considering a role like this. Though I prefer to call it something else, and have it work slightly differently. Here are some more roles as well.

Granny

Shoots anyone who visits her at night. Cannot die during the night. Sided with the village.

Bomb

If killed during the night, his killer is also killed. Sided with the village.

Mason

If masons are in play, there are at least two of them. The masons know who each other are. Sided with the town. (may or may not be able to recruit new members, depending on what I feel is best to use for the setup)

Cult

The cult is a third-party. The game begins with one cult leader. Every night, the cult can recruit one player, converting him to a cultist. If a cult member is investigated, he appears to be guilty. If the cult leader is killed, the most senior member of the cult becomes the new leader, the newest cultist dies, and the cult cannot recruit the next night phase. The cult wins if they have a majority of the players during the day.

Obviously, the updates at the start of the days will need an overhaul for some of these roles to work (bulletproof, granny, yakuza, serial killer, and doctor saves are the big ones that will need an overhaul). I suppose it'll be best that, if a kill fails, I don't say anything at all to the town (though the bulletproof/serial killer would know that he was hit).

I'm planning on using some of these roles in my game as well.

Also, there's also the lovers as well.

They can each be of either alignment. If one of them dies, the other suicides the next day. They win irrespective of alignment if the game ends and they are both still alive. (i.e. if the town lynches all mafioso, or the mafia have a majority, the lovers can still win if they are both still alive.)

Also, I really like the role of Granny. But I think it's TOO powerful. I'd say that he/she has say two bullets or something to make it more reasonable.

Another role.

Hunter

If lynched, can shoot one player before dying. Sided with the town.

Also, I really like the role of Granny. But I think it's TOO powerful. I'd say that he/she has say two bullets or something to make it more reasonable.

For which side? See, she'll shoot anything that visits her. That includes cops and doctors. Though bullets might be a good idea.

Edited by General Spoon

For which side? See, she'll shoot anything that visits her. That includes cops and doctors. Though bullets might be a good idea.

I would say 2 bullets. I didn't know about cops and doctors though, which would make her (or him) less overpowered (for the town). Perhaps 3 would be fair given the double-edged nature of the ability.

I misread what you were implying for the role...

Baker - Sounds interesting. It would throw in an extra element of randomness, which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.

Bulletproof

Deputy

Nurse

Framer

Lawyer

Stalker

- These ones sound good.

Yakuza - I'm sort of neutral about this one. Can't really see any reason why not, though.

Traitor

Serial Killer

- I like these two.

Granny - I agree that she should have a limited number of bullets. Unlimited ammo would be too powerful. Personally, I'd think 2 or 3 like RP suggested. Then when she ran out of ammo, she could be killed, right?

Bomb - Sweet revenge ftw :newyears:

Mason - I like this one, too. If they could recruit new members, how would that work? If they chose a new member to recruit, what if they chose a mafia?

Cult - Don't really like this one personally. It seems like it would be too powerful.

Lovers - This sounds cool, too.

Hunter - This one I particularly like for some reason. I think a lot of people who get killed in the night have their own suspicions of who did it.

I'm all for more roles. It makes the game more interesting and fun when more of the players have their own agendas and secrets.

That's the kind of stuff I fully expect to have going on in my game. So do recruit more people so I can have more roles.

Honestly, I'd like to give everyone some sort of role (though obviously some roles are not compatible with certain alignments...)

My concern with the Granny would be that if she can't be killed in the night phase, then if she gets proven innocent by the detective or through role-claiming, or some other means, then she's essentially unkillable.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered. If the detective investigates her, he won't exactly be able to report his findings. :awesome:

On second thought, you're right, the Granny wouldn't necessarily be overpowered, even with unlimited ammo.

Edited by Dracohon

I like them all except for:

• Baker: I'm neutral on this one, the whole famine thing could really screw over the town if the baker dies early.

• Bulletproof and Serial Killer as separate roles: The power should be exclusive.

• Yakuza and traitor: Good concept, but won't work.

• Granny: Think about it: if the Granny gets a kill once, the mafia will never target her and the town will never lynch her, even with limited ammo.

There should only be one third faction in the game to account for possible mason-cult-mafia combos... then again that might actually be kinda neat.

The Serial Killer needs to have bulletproof power to give him an edge. He needs all the help he can get. Obviously I wouldn't be mean and put the serial killer in a game with a granny or a bomb

Please, elaborate on why you don't think the yakuza would work. Is it just because you think that your alignment in the game should be set in stone? Because I find it more fun when your alignment can change.

Edited by General Spoon

In my opinion, that's part of it, plus as I said I'd be reluctant to use the power because it feels like you've lost when you die before the end, regardless of being alive or not. I think it could work, but save it maybe for later games.

I just figured out a way that I think balances the cult.

Cult

The cult is a third-party. The game begins with one cult leader. Every night, the cult can recruit one player, converting him to a cultist. If a cult member is investigated, he appears to be guilty. If the cult leader is killed, then the cult does not recruit the next night, and instead votes on which cult member will be the new cult leader. If this new cult leader dies, then the whole cult commits suicide. The cult wins if they have a majority of the players during the day.

Baker- I don't like it at all, I have a feeling it would complicate the game too much.

Bulletproof- sounds good

Deputy- sounds good

Nurse- sounds good

Framer- I like it

Lawyer- I don't like it so much, seems overpowered if there are only like 4-5 mafia.

Stalker- I like it but it seems overpowered

Yakuza- I like it a lot, if you change it so that it can be done during the day, so it is a more viable last chance option.

Traiter- seems pointless

Serial Killer- I like it a lot

Granny- might change the game too much

Bomb-see hunter vv

Mason- I dun' gettit

Cult- seems too complicated to add a whole other faction that doesn't serve the same purpose as Mafia(like in round 3)

Hunter- I love this idea. Its common that you think you know who killed you. I like it more than bomb because bomb is uncontrollable.

The Serial Killer needs to have bulletproof power to give him an edge. He needs all the help he can get. Obviously I wouldn't be mean and put the serial killer in a game with a granny or a bomb

I meant that there shouldn't be a serial killer AND a bulletproof in the same game. That's just my opinion.

As for the yakuza, I really don't like the idea of having a job that involves killing yourself. I honestly don't get the point of the traitor. The job really doesn't add anything to the game. However, I do think your new cult idea is worth a shot in a future round.