Generals

Ansem

35 members have voted

1. 1. Generals

• They pawn
    • They suck
    • There okay

Dalshin's speed growth really doesn't make that big of a difference since you get the Sety scroll shortly after recruiting him. I think he's actually pretty good for a few chapters, but he loses his sparkle as soon as you set foot outdoors.

Tell you what is really awesome, though.

If by chance you have a promoted (or promotable) Gilliam by C19, give him the Brave Lance. The enemy melts off him.

Generals > Paladins. Generals pwn.

Of course, I always adopt a much slower game that can revolve around the use of slower units, and I'm an addict for Defense over Speed - which Generals are the epitome of. FE9/10 Canto evens it a little bit, but I still like my Generals.

Actually 9/10 has Nephenee - who turns out to be a General minus the armorlayer vulnerability, but w/e

The fact that most of them are either meh (read: Brom, Gilliam) or just plain suck (read: Boris, Barth, Wendy, and lots of others in the class) keeps them from being my favorite class. That of course doesn't help things. The only really good generals are really Oswin and FE10!Gatrie. And as Saloma pointed out, they're obviously not the best class ever, especially since FE is rather speed oriented. They're pretty likely to get doubled (not good when they're up against armor-piercing weapons wielders and mages, which is even more true on FEDS Wi-Fi, where sages can and will tear through generals like a hot knife through butter), and their damage output is essentially half of everyone else's. (And the fact that Oswin and FE10!Gatrie are the only ones who really stand out among a pile of fail and mediocrity, as I said before, doesn't help things. And that of course isn't saying much.)

So yeah, you guys can guess my vote.

Edited by Little Al

And i'm going to keep doing this until there are no more class

You're just as clever as the guy who kept making all these FE4 pairing topics even though everyone was clamoring for him to just make one topic.

FE has shown that Knights/Generals are only considered really good if they are head and shoulders above others stat-wise to compensate for lacking mobility. Oswin's infinite durability, Zagaro/Wolf's enormous growths, Gatrie's injected Knight Ward...everyone else never gets above "mediocre" (Gilliam), and very often gets into the "bad" range (FE4, FE6).

You're just as clever as the guy who kept making all these FE4 pairing topics even though everyone was clamoring for him to just make one topic.

FE has shown that Knights/Generals are only considered really good if they are head and shoulders above others stat-wise to compensate for lacking mobility. Oswin's infinite durability, Zagaro/Wolf's enormous growths, Gatrie's injected Knight Ward...everyone else never gets above "mediocre" (Gilliam), and very often gets into the "bad" range (FE4, FE6).

fe9 brom is pretty fun. Though I admit I don't think I ever took him beyond 20/10 outside easy mode.

By "Gatrie's injected Knight Ward", is that in reference to the crown in RD or just the true KW in fe9?

I think they suck in most games. WTC and defense is nice, but since they're most likely not doubling, their offense is mediocre and low movement doesn't help either.

FE10-Gatrie is a great unit, but that's because of his insane stats.

Well, the only ones I've found to be useful at all are Gatrie and Tauroneo, in both PoR AND RD. Though moreso in RD for Gatrie.

Never really found much use for them in the other games, except Wallace in FE7 to an extent. Used him to beat the boss at the end of Lyn's story, since, well, no one else stood a chance. XD

Dalsin kinda sucks actually, you got lucky right there with his amazing 25% Speed growth.

That's why Sety Scrolls exist.

fe9 brom is pretty fun. Though I admit I don't think I ever took him beyond 20/10 outside easy mode.

By "Gatrie's injected Knight Ward", is that in reference to the crown in RD or just the true KW in fe9?

Only reason I use FE9 Brom is to support Zihark and Nephenee.

He means RD, with his 60 SPD growth.

To be honest he's not terribly useful against the clusterfuck of Hammers in some chapters.

I for one can't understand why they make armors with such horrible def growths. Dude has a 20% def growth. There are twenty-three units with better def growths than him. And Lara has the same def growth as he does. A thief/dancer has the same def growth.

That's what I was about but to say but didn't expecting someone would back it it up with, you know, scrolls. >_>

But the base actualy makes up for it, much like Doga or any other Knight in FE3, they get good promo gains and cap at 20.

That's what I was about but to say but didn't expecting someone would back it it up with, you know, scrolls. >_>

Best def boosting scroll is Neir for a pretty long time. At best you can do Baldo + Neir to get him to 35%. Thing is, why do that for him when you could get some other unit to 50% or something?

But the base actualy makes up for it, much like Doga or any other Knight in FE3, they get good promo gains and cap at 20.

The base only really helps them out for their first few chapters. I mean, great, they take 5 damage in their first map or two. That soon becomes 5x2 damage since they get doubled all the time (though sety scroll alleviates this in fe5 and KW in fe9). Then it starts becoming 6x2 and 7x2 and 8x2 because enemy str or weapon selection goes up faster than the armor's def stat. And with fe5 having a lot of armor slaying enemies and no way to ignore the pain boost they need a good def growth all the more. Dalsin at least can promote for another +4 def, but he is still relying on that growth to get the last 4 points and if you want his spd to go up to a reasonable level with sety scroll then you need as many levels in tier 1 as you can get.

Not to mention they practically live and breathe off their def stat. If they get screwed by two or three points they are utter trash.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Probably because Dalshien's base DEF is pretty nice to start and his promotion bonuses help too. It's not like the DEF growth is 0%, he has no trouble reaching 20 DEF unless you intentionally deprive him of scrolls.

Edited by Speedwagon

Probably because Dalshien's base DEF is pretty nice to start and his promotion bonuses help too. It's not like the DEF growth is 0%.

11 to start, +4 on promotion. I'll grant that he will actually cap, but given how quickly units like Karin and Marita spam 20 spd and 20 luck(Karin) or 20 skill(Mareeta), it's kinda silly that he takes until 20/10 or 20/11 to get to 20 def. Okay, sure, he hits 20 str at 20/2, but Karin hits 20 spd at level ten, first tier. Mareeta hits at level 11. If they can "major" in spd to that extent, I don't see why an armor shouldn't have 20 def by level 17 or earlier. Asvel has a pretty rockin' spd promotion, too (+6), and yet he caps at level 18 or 19 anyway. He caps in tier 1 but his promotion is 2 better than Dalsin's promotion. Dalsin's promo bonus is no excuse to give him such a bad growth.

I'm just saying, it's silly.

Well, do take in consideration that increased DEF makes more of a difference early on than Karin's ridiculous SPD gain. Dalshin's already receiving pretty low damage and a growth like Karin's SPD for his DEF would pretty much make him immortal against anything that isn't a hammer while Karin's SPD just means some avoid and uh, doing what she's already been doing: Doubling. FESD Normal General Zag comes to mind.

Well, do take in consideration that increased DEF makes more of a difference early on than Karin's ridiculous SPD gain. Dalshin's already receiving pretty low damage and a growth like Karin's SPD for his DEF would pretty much make him immortal against anything that isn't a hammer while Karin's SPD just means some avoid and uh, doing what she's already been doing: Doubling. FESD Normal General Zag comes to mind.

Well, her ridiculous spd growth allows you to double with things like long swords and other ridiculously heavy weapons. If she hovered around 14 spd with a 20% growth and had a +4 or +5 promo bonus to make up for it you'd pretty much be stuck with slim and maybe iron or something unless you early promo and kill her str and def for late game. Overkill spd basically saves her.

Of course, I forget how much atk power enemies had for a few chapters after Dalshin shows up, though, so I'm not entirely certain how bad his 11 def becomes. Also I don't remember how long until he is doubled, if he is ever doubled. Maybe it isn't as bad as I think. But a 50% growth would mean 16 def at level 15 and 17.5 at level 20, then promotion gets him to 20. Or you can promote at level 15 for 20 def. I think that would be better. Of course, scrolls can screw with this so maybe 40% would be better.

Enemies do have pretty strong weaponry in this game. Things like Battle Axes and Great Swords/Lances/Bows will leave a dent on just about anyone, including Dalsin. What really fucks him up is the high concentration of Hammers on some chapters. He hates mages more than a lot of people as well since he's not terribly dodgy, moves slowly on the field and because of his crap magic like most melee units. His crap luck also means he's quite prone to criticals unless he has a scroll.

They do tend to be pretty sluggish however. There's still a decent number of 0 AS enemies even in midgame and Dark Mages in lategame tend to be insanely slow as well.

Edited by Dio

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for "alright." Personally, when I first played FE7, I loved Generals, the way they attacked (who doesn't love an axe/lance that's retractable?) I also loved how enemies DINK!ed them so often. However, I've begun to appreciate speed a little more lately, so Generals are sort of taking a back seat to other units