Dragon Quest in general

Game Janitor

So, who here is a fan of the legendary Dragon Quest series? I am, though a pretty recent fan. I've only played two games in the series so far, Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest VIII. Still, I've known about the series long before I even knew about Final Fantasy, when I was first read about it in Nintendo Power.

Is anybody looking forward to Dragon Quest IX when it comes out this year? And Dragon Quest X when we find out more about it?

I've played I, II, III, and VIII, like most others that played it in America. I've also tried the Dragon Quest Monster series.

It's interesting, I suppose. Increasingly hard, however, and I wasn't a fan of the first-person battles after having played the Final Fantasy series. In general, though, I find the first few to be some of the best classic RPGs of their time. Real quality that deserves a look by every fan of the genre.

Check out some gameplay videos then. I think they made some changes to stuff like the level caps of some monsters your recruit in DQ5DS. Though if you do end playing DQ5DS, there's a 3rd choice as your bride who's basically a bitch that treats you as her servant (which to some, seems more interesting than the other 2).

I love Dragon Quest! The first one I played was III on the GBC and I have followed the series since. I have really only played ones that were released in NA though. So III/IV/V/VII and VIII for me. I think three is still my favorite, but I used to have Yangus as my wallpaper if that's any indication of how much I enjoyed DQVIII when it was released >_>. I still love that pudgy little guy too. I still am saddened by all the times I had to have him use Kerplunk during the side quests after the final boss because I am terrible at the game :(

Check out some gameplay videos then. I think they made some changes to stuff like the level caps of some monsters your recruit in DQ5DS. Though if you do end playing DQ5DS, there's a 3rd choice as your bride who's basically a bitch that treats you as her servant (which to some, seems more interesting than the other 2).

Not to mention that she's far more useful in combat than the other two as well as being a tsundere... But that's not important.

I love Dragon Quest! The first one I played was III on the GBC and I have followed the series since. I have really only played ones that were released in NA though. So III/IV/V/VII and VIII for me. I think three is still my favorite, but I used to have Yangus as my wallpaper if that's any indication of how much I enjoyed DQVIII when it was released >_>. I still love that pudgy little guy too. I still am saddened by all the times I had to have him use Kerplunk during the side quests after the final boss because I am terrible at the game :(

I and II were both released on one GBC cartridge some time ago.

It's interesting. I was given it as a random present as a kid, and thought it too hard to play, putting it down. About a year later, I actually picked it up and finished it after lending it to a friend, who was able to move through it without difficulty like he does with every other castoff classic I at first hate.

Wishful thinking, but I wish Square Enix would put I-IV on the virtual console. Not so much DQIV since it was rereleased for the DS, but the NES and gameboy cartridges are hard to find.

I and II were both released on one GBC cartridge some time ago.

It's interesting. I was given it as a random present as a kid, and thought it too hard to play, putting it down. About a year later, I actually picked it up and finished it after lending it to a friend, who was able to move through it without difficulty like he does with every other castoff classic I at first hate.

Oh? I didn't know they had I and II released. I've played them both on SNES, but I didn't know they had releases on a handheld. I do a lot of my gaming with handhelds if I have the choice, since it is a lot more convenient. I wouldn't get much done in a game if I were forced to sit on my butt in a room to play it. Though I definitely make the time if a game is great.

• 2 weeks later...

I like IV and VII a lot. Dragon Quest Monsters isn't as good but I liked it a lot when I was a kid. It is interesting to play a game where there are incentives to avoid directly commanding your monsters (at least in DQM: Joker).

Just purchased VIII but haven't had time to try it yet. I'm sure I'll like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Dragon Quest somehow related to Dragon Warrior? Because I had a game boy color Dragon Warrior game then I saw something about a Dragon Quest and they both have Slime enemies and similar art style. I've just always wondered about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I had Dargon Warrior 1 and 2. Or maybe it was 2 and 3? something like that I think.

That would be Dragon Warrior I & II--the game that got me into the series when I had nine years.

Since those days, I've played every Dragon Warrior/Quest game except IX and the spinoffs (and I've only put thirty minutes or so into VIII, but don't tell anyone) and it's easily my favorite name in RPGs, and sometimes more generally too. If Dragon Quest were a painting, it would be like the huge paintings of Gettysburg and other hectic Civil War battles, covered in a hundred unique figures each in the thick of the turmoil. The paintings which may not have the most streamlined design, and may have some features that appear rough and undetailed on closer inspection, but all the same will captivate you for an hour before you realize you're wasting time looking at a painting. I've preordered DQIX, and am looking forward to when I'll have the opportunity to look over and appreciate all the details to their fullest.

My favorite games in the series are VII and III. All of you who haven't yet appreciated that second name, go and download the remake for your VBA. You won't regret it.

Edited by Hero