If tier lists didn't exist

Raven

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How so? Think of all we could've done in the time spent debating tiers, we could read a book, do a charity event or even invent lists to rank the characters based on availability and utility

If you think tier lists are all about opinion, then you have no idea what they are, because tier lists are, in fact, the selective efforts of people trying to make a ruling over something objectively.

Don't worry, you'll have a nice place in my list.

Opposite.

Sadly, I think you're right. The problem with tier lists is that they don't have any authority, and since video games aren't taken seriously enough, somebody will always come around and dispute the established lists.

lol not taken seriously enough :lol:

If you think tier lists are all about opinion, then you have no idea what they are, because tier lists are, in fact, the selective efforts of people trying to make a ruling over something objectively.

Don't worry, you'll have a nice place in my list.

*shivers* >_<

Some quote I thought up not long ago.

"Whenever you compare, you also compete"

~Phoenix

I'm not a competitive person. And I've never seen a completely unbias tier list. Even Red Fox is a little bias on the Jill front.

Nah. Back in the olden days before tier lists came along, people would just make "debate topics" and work out random stuff like Raven vs Harken. Tier lists just gave the boards a convenient way to organize everything.

If tier lists didn't exist, we'd all throw opinions around in rankings threads, and in doing so form an informal ranking of characters based on the principle that gerik > cormag > kyle > lute.

What would the absence of tier lists even do? It'd remove our senses of bearing, and make the community inaccessible to anybody not willing to jot down notes as to the state of things. Chaos would ensue. Riots would be had. A new world order would rise, and it would come bathed in the sweet promises and delectable lies of tier lists.

If tier lists didn't exist, we'd all throw opinions around in rankings threads, and in doing so form an informal ranking of characters based on the principle that prepromotes are all shit.

Fixed that for you

I don't base my team off of tier lists. I like to try out a couple of lower-tier units in certain playthroughs. So I really wouldn't be fucked.

Well, forum-wise. Maybe. I could imagine the shitloads of new topics each day stating X Unit>Y Unit. Would get tiresome after a while although entertaining for a bit.

Edited by Joey

If they didn't exist, the only thing that would change would be where the hate is directed. Instead of hating on people who don't know how tiers operate or whatnot, we'd be hating everyone else's opinions instead.

Having many different possible and plausible teams in a game is a joy and a woe at the same time, for that reason alone.

Long ago, I made a serious topic in FE7 called "Nino", and myself and Tino went at eachother for simply ages about it. It was amazing. Tier lists make a community, and it's enjoyable if you like that kind of thing.

To me, making tiers undermines the whole reason FE gives you such a plentiful amount of characters: Use whoever you like and win.

Now, tiers aren't physically stopping people from this, but it creates needless hostility I think.

To me, making tiers undermines the whole reason FE gives you such a plentiful amount of characters: Use whoever you like and win.

Now, tiers aren't physically stopping people from this, but it creates needless hostility I think.

The only reason that happens is because people take it too seriously. They think that whenever they say some shit character is better than a good character and someone else says otherwise, the tier people are telling them who to use and how to play the game. Tiers don't tell anyone who to use unless you let them; they tell you who is good and who is bad.

I still don't see the reason behind debating something so easy though. You go to all these lengths to prove A is ever so slightly better than B, and then what? Again, I see it as an exercise in frivolousness...

I still don't see the reason behind debating something so easy though. You go to all these lengths to prove A is ever so slightly better than B, and then what? Again, I see it as an exercise in frivolousness...

It's just like everything else