Aran

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't help double the possibilities of Impale. Impale is a SKL% skill, and Aran and Neph will cap SKL (35) at 20/20/11, while Danved will have 31 SKL at the same level.

If we're going for Impale, then Aran and Neph are the obvious choices, as a +4% bonus is nice.

He doesn't help double the possibilities of Impale. Impale is a SKL% skill, and Aran and Neph will cap SKL (35) at 20/20/11, while Danved will have 31 SKL at the same level.

If we're going for Impale, then Aran and Neph are the obvious choices, as a +4% bonus is nice.

Doubling gives better chances than not doubling. If Danved doubles w/ 31 SKL, he has a 52% chance to proc impale, for example.

I never really got the appeal of Soldiers anyway.

I don't mind soldiers. They don't have weapons that are effective on them, their MV is decent, lances are alright weapons, and they have a little bit of crit to go along with it.

Those would be Halbs. I actually appreciate Soldiers now that they are finally playable, I was pretty glad we had a lance-wielding foot soldier that wasn't a Knight or say, Ephraim, who later gained a pony and became a little bit average in my book.

Edited by Soul

I don't mind soldiers. They don't have weapons that are effective on them, their MV is decent, lances are alright weapons, and they have a little bit of crit to go along with it.

They're very average melee characters. Fast, but not generally speedy (one major advantage of Myrms); they can double, but they're touchy. Durable, but not especially tough like armors. Strong, but with a weaker weapon and less STR than Fighters. I think they shine more because there's more of them than Fighters in the Tellius games, and because Boyd isn't that great in 10 and Nolan's not around as much as Nephenee. But compared to the Myrms in 9/10, they don't really leap out at me. And I don't even like Myrms, but I'd rather have Mia/Zihark than Neph/Aran.

I like Halbs conceptually and they needed to exist as a class (a playable monotype foot unit for lances and promotion for Soldiers was a long time coming), and as all-rounders they have no major weaknesses. But they also kind of have no particular niche that I can see either. Aran's not rock-solid enough to be a real tank, Neph's not fast or strong enough (without a transfer or something anyway) to be a doubling machine, and Danved's just so average in general that there's not much to be done with him.

They're very average melee characters. Fast, but not generally speedy (one major advantage of Myrms); they can double, but they're touchy. Durable, but not especially tough like armors. Strong, but with a weaker weapon and less STR than Fighters. I think they shine more because there's more of them than Fighters in the Tellius games, and because Boyd isn't that great in 10 and Nolan's not around as much as Nephenee. But compared to the Myrms in 9/10, they don't really leap out at me. And I don't even like Myrms, but I'd rather have Mia/Zihark than Neph/Aran.

I like Halbs conceptually and they needed to exist as a class (a playable monotype foot unit for lances and promotion for Soldiers was a long time coming), and as all-rounders they have no major weaknesses. But they also kind of have no particular niche that I can see either. Aran's not rock-solid enough to be a real tank, Neph's not fast or strong enough (without a transfer or something anyway) to be a doubling machine, and Danved's just so average in general that there's not much to be done with him.

you just opened my eyes, to something i never even thoguht of, mia/zihark > neph/aran. I just thought that was cool, because IMO myrms > soldiers.

I really love Aran. He is kinda good-looking and he is not annoying because he never says anything. Yeah.

But he's crap unless he gets massive amounts of BEXP. If he doesn't, you can not know how his speed will turn out (low level -> many levelups -> averages are less reliable, and his average speed is borderline anyway) and if you're unlucky he gets doubled by enemies like generals. And even if he doesn't, he's nothing special, he's probably underleveled and thus, still useless.

I still use him because I like his armour.

Edited by SG-666

Good-looking? Aran? His face is very oddly proportioned and his hair is bloody stupid.

you made me lol, ^.^ i dont't get how they see an ugly green color as attractive, but i'm not one to judge a man's looks.

at least you know the character sucks without bexp

I always use Aran. He gets doubled, but he's a tank so it doesn't matter. In my current game he is one of the most fitted to be a one-man army, staying alive when many of his similarly-leveled comrades get 3HKO'd. 4-P was a real shining moment for him.

Though I use bronze weapons to suck exp.

Good-looking? Aran? His face is very oddly proportioned and his hair is bloody stupid.

I never paid much attention to faces in video games unless someone is extremely ugly. Same with the hair, though I do like the colour.

But it's the armour. It is awesome, it makes him worth using for me.

I have a weird taste in men even in real life, so who cares.

I always use Aran. He gets doubled, but he's a tank so it doesn't matter.

Um, it does. His HP is low and his Def isn't all that. It's at promotion when it doesn't matter that much.

I never paid much attention to faces in video games unless someone is extremely ugly. Same with the hair, though I do like the colour.

I must admit the armor is part of why I use him too. Though I like Nephy's and Danved's as well. Sadly all three are kinda bad personality wise, though Aran slightly beats the other two.

Edit @ Soul: Don't expect me to make that much sense. I always think that the melee units in DB are too equal to be chosen between before around 20-10. Now Aran, Edward and Nolan all just reached third tier, and Aran tanks while the others are okay. Personal experience means nothing but I will always use personal experience as an argument. Much more fun.

Edited by Santino

Someone else appreciates Aran's awesome black armour!

I always use Aran. He gets doubled, but he's a tank so it doesn't matter. In my current game he is one of the most fitted to be a one-man army, staying alive when many of his similarly-leveled comrades get 3HKO'd. 4-P was a real shining moment for him.

Though I use bronze weapons to suck exp.

4-P is a shining moment with everyone, i had aran solo over half of it one PT then neph the next.(basically they just stood in range of horses)

I like his outfit the most as a sentinel, Nephenee looks too weird and Danved's is ok.

you don't like the legs?? XP

I must admit the armor is part of why I use him too. Though I like Nephy's and Danved's as well. Sadly all three are kinda bad personality wise, though Aran slightly beats the other two.

Edit @ Soul: Don't expect me to make that much sense. I always think that the melee units in DB are too equal to be chosen between before around 20-10. Now Aran, Edward and Nolan all just reached third tier, and Aran tanks while the others are okay. Personal experience means nothing but I will always use personal experience as an argument. Much more fun.

Arans personality < danved or neph's he has like 2 convo's the entire game, and both with laura.

Aran is by far the worst out of himself, eddy and nolan. That isn't even an arguement, Aran can't double(outside of armours/mages/loladins) Nolan and eddy can. Nolan is better in almost every way then aran. Eddy, it's just offense Vs defense in the biggest FE10 way.

4-P is a shining moment with everyone, i had aran solo over half of it one PT then neph the next.(basically they just stood in range of horses)

Arans personality < danved or neph's he has like 2 convo's the entire game, and both with laura.

Aran is by far the worst out of himself, eddy and nolan. That isn't even an arguement, Aran can't double(outside of armours/mages/loladins) Nolan and eddy can. Nolan is better in almost every way then aran. Eddy, it's just offense Vs defense in the biggest FE10 way.

Well, in my PT (and all I say will be personal experience) Aran and Nolan were both about 20-15 at the beginning of 4-P. Aran stood his own, rarely needing healing. Nolan never dodged and thus was killed in two-three hits by nearly all enemies. Marcia didn't do better than 20-15 Aran until promotion.

In this case I consider rarely being seen speaking to be better than what the others have. Nephenee's personality really ruins her character and Danved is Danved.

Again, personal experience, in all my three playthroughs Aran has been the easiest to train of the three. Reason being that he can do bigger risks without getting killed. I use Nolan in my front lines pretty much always, still I have never managed to get him to a decent level without bexp.

Though I am overly emphasising my Aran love here : P (Too weak to resist countering arguments)

That's why we say that PEMN, though. Average 20/15 Nolan vs. average 20/15 Aran is about 46HP/18.75DEF for Nolan vs. 39.5HP/25DEF for Aran. This seems like a win for Aran, sort of, until you consider that Nolan could/should be using Tarvos for +4 DEF. Now the DEF gap is only 2, and Nolan is easily winning both HP and avoid. Also, Nolan is winning mt, and doubling most of the enemies here, while Aran is in danger of getting doubled by the Warriors.

Throw in supports, and it gets sillier. Aran gets +2-3 DEF from his own affinity, which is nice, but Nolan has a ~+14 avoid advantage over Aran just due to being Earth, never mind what he could get from his partner. In fact, 20/15 Nolan with A Eddie or something in 4-P, using Tarvos, has 97 avoid and effectively 25 DEF. Considering that the only enemies that Nolan actually cares about tend to top out in the 144-ish range for HIT, and some drop into the 120's, that's pretty good.

So if your Aran was outperforming, it's because of RNG-blessage/screwage, or not using everyone properly. None of these things are Nolan's fault. He arguably remains the better unit.

That's why we say that PEMN, though. Average 20/15 Nolan vs. average 20/15 Aran is about 46HP/18.75DEF for Nolan vs. 39.5HP/25DEF for Aran. This seems like a win for Aran, sort of, until you consider that Nolan could/should be using Tarvos for +4 DEF. Now the DEF gap is only 2, and Nolan is easily winning both HP and avoid. Also, Nolan is winning mt, and doubling most of the enemies here, while Aran is in danger of getting doubled by the Warriors.

Throw in supports, and it gets sillier. Aran gets +2-3 DEF from his own affinity, which is nice, but Nolan has a ~+14 avoid advantage over Aran just due to being Earth, never mind what he could get from his partner. In fact, 20/15 Nolan with A Eddie or something in 4-P, using Tarvos, has 97 avoid and effectively 25 DEF. Considering that the only enemies that Nolan actually cares about tend to top out in the 144-ish range for HIT, and some drop into the 120's, that's pretty good.

So if your Aran was outperforming, it's because of RNG-blessage/screwage, or not using everyone properly. None of these things are Nolan's fault. He arguably remains the better unit.

Or because I use bronze/iron weapons and often consider doubling to be a bad thing : P (less exp and larger chance for killing enemy on enemy phase, thus being killed by the next enemy attacker)

I never liked effective play, which kinda makes my arguments moot if you think about that. But for my playstyle Aran does great and Nolan does slightly above mediocre.