A total n00b looking for help

TheYugiohKid

I have alot of questions about making my own Fire Emblem, and im hoping you guys can help me out. I can get Nightmare to work, but my needs go far beyond that.

Basically, I need to know these things:

1. How to make my own portraits/mini portraits

2. What program to use for text editing

3. How to make my own maps

4. How to make my own sprites

5. How to get all of this to actually come together into my own game, or how to insert my own creations into the ROM.

I'm sorry if any of this has been mentioned in other topics, but im really hoping to get all the info in my own topic, rather than dig through all the other topics. hope you guys can help! smile.gif

Edited by TheYugiohKid

Well let's see...

0.Ask someone to work with you(No one makes a hack alone)

1.I wish i knew.

2.FEditor adv.

3.Mappy(dunno how to insert the map but you really need Mappy).

4.Don't know.

5.You need to use a couple tools:Nightmare(and the proper modules), FEditor adv, Mappy and some others i don't know(but mostly nightmare and FEditor adv)

Edited by Viyut

I actually had mappy at one point, and succeeded in creating a map, but couldnt figure out where to go from there. I also had FEditor adv, but couldn't get any of the programs to run.

I was thinking about asking someone if they could make the sprites and portraits for me, but I wouldn't want to waste someones time like that, especially if this fails in the end. In reality, most of the sprites and portraits I need could be simply edited from whats already in FE7. For instance, making Ravens sprite bald with a black shirt and blue pants, as well as using the spike-armored Hero sprite and doing the same thing, would pass good enough for me to use for the character he'll portray. I might even be able to get away with making his portrait bald and squinting his eyes slightly.

It would mostly be simple stuff, I just need the right programs really.

Edited by TheYugiohKid

You might want this

You definitely want this

This does more than the typical Nightmare

If you use MAR2BIN (at

"Hextator's Doc/$Development/#Apps/Binary Reformatters/MAR2BIN"

in the first link) you'll want to use the output of Mappy as the input for it, then manually prepend 2 bytes to the beginning of the output file and type the hexadecimal values for the map's width and height, in that order, in those bytes using a hex editor. Then you'll want to compress it with the LZ77 setting when placing the data in the ROM with FEditor's binary manager (the editor that appears when you first start FEditor and open a ROM with it).

Alternatively you could use the MAR Array inserter with Mappy's output as its input and shove it right in the ROM, but you'd be losing FEditor's free space management advantage, risk overwriting used data (the map, specifically) by accident in the future, and have to manually locate where you want to put the map data.

And if none of that makes sense, you have other problems you need to take care of before trying to put custom maps into the game (or anything else, really).

It doesn't work for maps at all. You use Mappy for maps and then use the output of Mappy with some of these tools, which are mostly for other things.

You need

- Mappy

- Tilesets for Mappy

- The Event Assembler

- A good hex editor, like Hex Edit

Other people should be capable of linking to these.

1. See spriting tutorials, FEND is a good place to share sprites, FEP is a good place to get sprites.

2. FEditor Adv

3. Mappy, then export as a .MAR (File-Export), then insert that MAR file to an offset using the MAR Array Inserter or Xeld's more complex method.

4. Essentially the same as 1.

5. To insert portraits and custom battle sprites, use FEditor Adv. For all other graphics, use GBAGE. For most data-type things, like statistics and tables and crap, use Nightmare. For events, use the EA (see Arch's tutorial).

For a hacking FAQ, look here-http://forums.feshrine.net/index.php?showtopic=3054

Btw, if you aren't willing to research for information, you aren't going to get very far in hacking, most of the time... I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to motivate you to not become lazy about it. XP

Correct.

You're supposed to install Java properly, read documentation before asking questions, and detail what you're actually doing so we know what you're screwing up if that still isn't working.

I'm going to go ahead and sound stupid again, but i've downloaded java, and I still don't really have a clue what to do. I tried the link to FE universe, and found a video for adding maps that unfortunately doesn't have a part 2 uploaded. I'm mainly concerned with making custom sprites and portraits, which I found on FEditor adv, but don't know how to start my own. I'm sorry if i'm being annoying, or if I am actually missing something you guys already posted, but i'm really just about to give up right now, and i'm pretty sure i've tried all the links and suggestions you guys have posted.