Let's Play Fire Emblem 4

Balcerzak

There's really not a lot in them, Bal :P. Most of them are just one or two lines about pairings and a boss towards the end of the game who is notoriously difficult to kill. Looking forward to watching these videos :D.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 4 completed.

Eh, you found the secret conversation between Sylvia/Fury. There are some more of these in the game, but only if you play with the substitutes.

Defense Sword missed (no surprise either). You could get it by having Sylvia help the village where they talk about Kult's daughter. It's a nice sword that gives a +7 boost in defense when equipped.

The AI was really stupid here. I can understand the mages retreating near Cuvuli for the leadership boost, but I have no idea what the Pegasus knights were trying to do...

Oh and when you kill a good portion of an army while leaving the leader alone, said boss will usually retreat to his castle to call for reinforcements, which happened to you with Pamela. It's a great thing if you're into abuse.

Infantries can re-move after going into the castle, which means you could have attempted the arena with Levin and move to the spot you wanted to after that.

Also that cheating skill is Big Shield which has the exact same effect than the generals' great shield in FE8 (cancels an enemy attack). I think nobody mentioned this yet.

Okay, Marthur watched all the videos already it seems. They finished uploading, and are properly sorted, though I still haven't added the descriptors.

Completion time for

is 36 turns.

Highlights:

Special

Oops, Azel can't dodge.

Neither can Claude. :(

Guessing correctly on how to unlock that bridge.

Witness sad, sad plot battle

Getting completely blindsided by Pamela Squad heading for Thove, frantically try to mount a defense

Watch a Civilian dodge an axe to the face

Finding out your emulator movie got corrupted and trying to re-figure out just what you'd done? Priceless. :facepalm:

Remember to pick up Holsety

Pairings:

Azel and Aideen previously acquired

Holyn and Ayra still together

Beowulf x Lachesis <3

Alec x Slyvia. He managed to unlock the special dance after all.

Levin x Fury. "That was then. This is now."

Tiltyu x Claude is almost there.

Briggid... yeah, about her. I guess her only realistic option at this point is Midir, because I messed some things up here. (Spoiler: She ends up with Midir in my as yet unrecorded Ch 5.)

[spoiler=Stats at end of Ch4]

Name: Lv.XP MHP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES Lover
Sigurd:  24.30 57 22  0 25 22 16 14  9 Dierdre
Noish:   14.41 43 14  0 10 10  7 13  0 
Alec:    13.77 37 14  1 12 12  8 14  2 Sylvia
Ardan:    6.58 39 15  0  5  4  4 13  0
Azel:    13.65 39  2 16  9 14  4  4  7 Aideen
Lex:     24.60 49 20  1 15 18 11 23  3
Cuan:    19.89 49 33  0 25 17  6 27  4 Ethlin
Fin:     19.14 47 19  2 16 12 19 16  0 
Ethlin:  20.84 37 12 10 17 19 13  8 10 Cuan
Midir:   18.76 40 12  2 11 14  6 15  1
Aideen:  30.00 46  5 24 14 15 27  4 12 Azel
Dew:      7.28 32  7  1  7 17 16  2  0 
Aira:    19.03 41 13  0 24 22  5 15  2 Holyn
Jamka:   21.42 50 18  0 14 21  7 12  1
Deirdre:  8.91 28  1 18 10 12  6  3 20 Sigurd
Holyn:   19.21 47 22  0 22 17  2 11  1 Aira
Lachesis:16.93 36 15  8 11 14 13  9 11 Beowulf
Levin:   18.01 45  1 18 25 45  9  9 11 Fury
Sylvie:   9.00 30  4  4  5 13  7  1  9 Alec
Beowulf: 27.14 55 23  0 27 24  7 16  6 Lachesis
Fury:    17.43 36 18  2 13 20  8 13 10 Levin
Brigid:  23.71 48 32  1 25 34 13 17 10
Tiltyu:  10.19 32  1 12 21 11 14  1  9
Claude:  27.26 39  1 22 16 18 12  5 23

Chapter 4 completed.

Eh, you found the secret conversation between Sylvia/Fury. There are some more of these in the game, but only if you play with the substitutes.

Defense Sword missed (no surprise either). You could get it by having Sylvia help the village where they talk about Kult's daughter. It's a nice sword that gives a +7 boost in defense when equipped.

The AI was really stupid here. I can understand the mages retreating near Cuvuli for the leadership boost, but I have no idea what the Pegasus knights were trying to do...

Oh and when you kill a good portion of an army while leaving the leader alone, said boss will usually retreat to his castle to call for reinforcements, which happened to you with Pamela. It's a great thing if you're into abuse.

Infantries can re-move after going into the castle, which means you could have attempted the arena with Levin and move to the spot you wanted to after that.

Also that cheating skill is Big Shield which has the exact same effect than the generals' great shield in FE8 (cancels an enemy attack). I think nobody mentioned this yet.

Substitutes, eh? I'll have to give that a try in another playthrough then. I like matchmaking far too much though...

+7 defense sword, tied to a special village... I am sad I didn't find it then. :(

Wait... the enemies have leadership stars too... I've totally been neglecting to check for those. Wow. Okay, I'm learning, seriously!

Aha, if and when I ranked run, and find myself strapped for XP, I'll have to remember how to abuse the mini-bosses with their squadrons.

I did notice that in Chapter 2 I think, with him managing to buy and use the Return bracelet, but then there was another case I thought where someone moved into a castle and couldn't act. I think that might only just be for the home castle, but I wasn't sure.

I know, I think I will continue to use my own personal pet name for that skill for forever though.

Edited by Balcerzak

Pairings:

Azel and Aideen previously acquired

Holyn and Ayra still together

Beowulf x Lachesis <3

Alec x Slyvia. He managed to unlock the special dance after all.

Levin x Fury. "That was then. This is now."

Tiltyu x Claude is almost there.

Briggid... yeah, about her. I guess her only realistic option at this point is Midir, because I messed some things up here. (Spoiler: She ends up with Midir in my as yet unrecorded Ch 5.)

Nice to hear you managed to pair everybody.

Substitutes, eh? I'll have to give that a try in another playthrough then. I like matchmaking far too much though...

You usually do the matchmaking and kill them in the last chapter, because even when careful, accidental marriages are prone to happen.

+7 defense sword, tied to a special village... I am sad I didn't find it then. :(

If it makes you feel better, if you don't have a save right before you attempt to get the sword, there is a glitch in the translation patch that could sometimes freeze your game. At least you didn't have to restart... :)

Edited by Brighton

Just finished chapter 4. It's a generally good chapter, I think I'm out of comments to make :P. On a purely administrative note though, YT playlists are limited to 200, if I remember correctly, so you probably want to start Gen 2 in a new list (assuming Ch 5 didn't push you over 200 already, but I doubt that somewhat since it's not the longest chapter).

Oh, and I hope you like my new sig.

Edited by I Eat Tables

The only thing to keep in mind in your future playthroughs is to sort out your items at the base before clearing Chapter 5. As items like the Defense Sword, Pursuit Ring, Knight Ring, Earth Sword will be lost for good if you don't. Just finished watching Chapter 5. =)

Edited by Ayanami

How's Chapter 5 going now (uploading, that is)? Also what's your actual progress in the game now? Start of 2nd Gen still?

I actually uploaded during the week, but didn't get a chance to manipulate them into the playlist, or to even make sure they all worked fine. Turns out one of the episodes was slightly too long and rejected, I've replaced that one now, and they're all properly organized. You can watch Chapter 5 starting

Highlights:

Byron is frail...

Prayer Sword Lachesis. Oh my word. Prayer Sword Lachesis.

I cannot wait to kill all the Thracians. I will be merciless in my righteous retribution.

Damn but if I don't love my Dancer. And using Rescue Staff on the Dancer.

I am probably way too conservative with my holy weapons.

Beowulf dodging one key wyvern rider.

Getting confused why Alec didn't get hit harder by that Slayer weapon (forgot about Awareness/Nihil/whatever).

Accidentally getting Jamka Thorhammered from beneath the ledge.

Getting cockblocked by like, 10 big shields in a row. Not cool man. Not cool.

Chapter ending an entire castle before I expected it to...

Pairings:

Azel x Aideen

Holyn x Ayra

Beowulf x Lachesis

Alec x Slyvia

Levin x Fury

Tiltyu x Claude

Briggid x Midir

[spoiler=Stats at end of Gen 1]

Name: Lv.XP MHP STR MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES Lover (Promoted) (Weapon Kills)
Sigurd:  28.13 60 24  0 26 24 18 15  4 Dierdre (Steel sword 45 kill, Tyrfing 2, Steel Lance 25)
Noish:   15.82 43 15  1 10 10  7 13  0 
Alec:    15.35 39 14  1 12 14 10 15  2 Sylvia
Ardan:    6.58 39 15  0  5  4  4 13  0
Azel:    15.88 40  2 16  9 15  4  4  8 Aideen
Lex:     24.80 49 20  1 15 18 11 23  3 (P)
Cuan:    19.89 49 33  0 25 17  6 27  4 Ethlin
Fin:     19.14 47 19  2 16 12 19 16  0 
Ethlin:  20.84 37 12 10 17 19 13  8 10 Cuan
Midir:   21.36 43 12  3 12 15  7 16  1 Brigid (Steel Bow 26)
Aideen:  30.00 46  5 24 14 15 27  4 12 Azel (P)
Dew:      8.14 32  7  1  8 17 16  3  0 
Aira:    24.31 44 20  0 30 28  5 12  5 Holyn (P) (Hero sword 24 kill)
Jamka:   26.18 55 26  0 16 23  9 15  4 (P) (Killer Bow 38 kill)
Deirdre:  8.91 28  1 18 10 12  6  3 20 Sigurd
Holyn:   22.30 51 22  3 26 19  2 14  4 Aira (P) (Silver Sword 17 kill)
Lachesis:20.61 39 18  8 12 14 14 11 12 Beowulf
Levin:   24.03 50  2 23 21 30  9 10 17 Fury (P) (Elwind 17 kill, Holysety 2)
Sylvie:  11.78 31  4  4  5 14  7  1 10 Alec 
Beowulf: 29.33 57 23  0 27 25  7 17  6 Lachesis (P) (Steel Sword 29, Thunder Sword 13)
Fury:    26.09 40 20 10 18 26  8 16 16 Levin (P)
Brigid:  27.76 51 22  2 26 26 15 18 10 Midir (Steel Bow 21, Ichival 12)
Tiltyu:  12.73 33  1 12 23 11 15  1  9 Claude (Thoron 14)
Claude:  30.00 41  1 23 16 18 12  6 23 Tilytu

Replies to previous comments:

You know, Claude doesn't need to do anything but spam Reserve and use the arena to get to level 30, especially if it's not going to be passed down -- and it isn't going to be in your playthrough.

Yeah, I don't remember what I said, or if I mentioned worrying about him, but he and Aideen were the only two to actually hit 30. And I didn't really figure out how inheritance worked exactly ahead of time, other than some general basics.

Just finished chapter 4. It's a generally good chapter, I think I'm out of comments to make :P. On a purely administrative note though, YT playlists are limited to 200, if I remember correctly, so you probably want to start Gen 2 in a new list (assuming Ch 5 didn't push you over 200 already, but I doubt that somewhat since it's not the longest chapter).

Oh, and I hope you like my new sig.

Good to know about Youtube playlists. I'll be planning Gen 2 in its own list then. (Ch 5 only take me up to 188.) Also, I found your signature completely hilarious. I did try to play that bit partly for laughs. Glad to see it worked.

The only thing to keep in mind in your future playthroughs is to sort out your items at the base before clearing Chapter 5. As items like the Defense Sword, Pursuit Ring, Knight Ring, Earth Sword will be lost for good if you don't. Just finished watching Chapter 5. =)

Yeah. In the future, I won't end up with such a tangled web of, "oh crap, this item needed to be over there... Oops." Or at least, that would be my hope.

Edited by Balcerzak

Heh, Great Shield is annoying ¬_¬. On my current run I'm messing around with class changing, and Master Knight Aira (Master Knight being pretty much the best class...) with a Silver Blade got blocked by chapter 4's Arena Baron for three turns in a row, and hit every time too at about 40% hit. I was not happy. Next time, Aira Starlight Sword'd him for a 3HKO.

Anyway, watching chapter 5 now. Also, you'll be pleased to know that promoting makes no difference to children characters (except maybe being able to give the parents more weapons the child can inherit), although being a higher level does help them, and it looks like on the whole your parents were fairly well levelled.

Did Claude and Tiltyu actually happen, or did you miss it in the end? You didn't list it in your stats, but you stated you've made it.

....damn you didn't pair Tailto. =\

[spoiler="not sure if you know about subs]

That means....you get a set of Subs. =\ Oh well, you can probably work around it.

Linda's one of the better subs and actually a hell-ton more easy to raise than most Tinnys before promotion.

Edited by Voltaire

Tiltyu was paired, guys.

Some relevant points:

Forests are basically Heroes without Axes (I guess the programmers just forgot it, because otherwise, they're just completely inferior to Swordmasters who have better caps and gain Continue.) That's right, your Ayra got Continue which is canceled by the Hero's Sword effect. That's why it's usually recommended to give the Hero Sword to someone else after her promotion to balance your army a little more (unless you want a completely broken Ayra which is fine too.)

Fury also got the ability to use Staves upon promotion. You probably overlooked it, but this might still be useful.

About the Axe Knights not attacking Sigurd, that's because they did have 0 hit%. The status screen doesn't take into account the several bonuses when calculating the stats.

Sigurd's evade = 56 + 20 (village bonus) + 10 (leadership bonus) = 86

Enemies' Hit = 92 - 20 (weapon disadvantage) = 72

The Edin-Bridget conversation can't be triggered after you kill Andre. You didn't miss any item out of it. Both sisters have a battle conversation with him as well.

Status Staves: They never miss, but they can't be use on an enemy that has a greater MDef than your unit's Magic.

Holin got more accuracy because Leadership Stars boost both evade and accuracy. Same goes for Charisma.

I lol'd at all the Big Shields.

And now you should have a vague idea why we call LoGH: Seisen IN SPACE Yes, this is shameless advertizing.

Edited by Marthur

Linda and Amid are okay substitutes, but he really want subs he should of gone for Laylea and Sharlow.

Why did you pair Alec with Sylvia?

I would have given her Claude, a magic pairing is better for her.

And can I ask why Azel and Aideen too?

I do Jamka, but Midir works too.

I do Azel and Tiltyu.

WTA/WTD is 20 in this game, not 10.

Oh right, got confused here.

Edit: Wait, it's not even that.

I always though it was + 10 avoid for the advantaged units and -10 hit for the disadvantaged one, but it seems it only affect the accuracy of the disadvantaged unit. :/

The result is basically the same though.

Edited by Marthur

<List of useful comments>

You can't stack Hero Sword and Continue huh... I guess that makes sense, things would get ridiculous if you could.

Falcoknights with Staves. I did overlook that. That must have been why they gave her that huge magic boost on promotion...

Sigurd gets the effect of his own Leadership stars??? I assumed that was just for other units' benefit (and same with Charisma). I guess that was the missing factor into my calculating Sigurd's dodge that time. It ended up working in the end, it's just not having the AI try to attack you at 0% will still take getting used to. Later FEs I was pretty sure they just mindlessly throw themselves at the mercy of your dodge tanks.

Aha, so my guess about the brother was correct then. I'll have to find that one on another playthrough then.

Big Shields: Why do you laugh at my pain. ;-; Ah, schadenfreude, it's a wonderful thing.

The Earth Cult Lopt Sect should just go die. Also Trabant and his Phezzani friends. I hate them. :angry:

Anyway, watching chapter 5 now. Also, you'll be pleased to know that promoting makes no difference to children characters (except maybe being able to give the parents more weapons the child can inherit), although being a higher level does help them, and it looks like on the whole your parents were fairly well levelled.

Did Claude and Tiltyu actually happen, or did you miss it in the end? You didn't list it in your stats, but you stated you've made it.

Ah, so noted. I wasn't sure whether raw stats, just levels, or what all goes into making good babies to be perfectly honest.

It happened, I forgot to list it in my Stat Sheet Spoiler. Arthur is chilling with a greyed out Valkryie Staff in his inventory.

Why did you pair Alec with Sylvia?

And can I ask why Azel and Aideen too?

Because Levin x Sylvia just wasn't working, and Alec x Sylvia had storyline significance. (At least, in my mind.) Plus their final lover conversation was hilarious. "I think the *cough* willingness on both sides led to our little surprise." :wub:

Azel x Aideen was just too cute. Also, I'm glad I did this anyway, because I got addicted to that Rescue staff.

Edited by Balcerzak

The greyed-out Valk staff w/ Arthur happens so much among people who played FE4 for the first times, there's actually several jokes about it in a certain manga about it IIRC.

Since you've gone past gen 1, I'm sure you don't mind a little extra detail on inheritance?

[spoiler=Stat inheritance]The simplest way of describing this I think is saying that children get 0.2 points in every stat for each point their same gendered parent has above the class base, and 0.1 point for each the other gendered parent has. Then they add on their own class base, and some of their own growths. E.g. Holyn has 19 SPD, Aira has 28. Holyn is 7 above the class base (lol, slow), Aira is 14 above. So Skashaer would have 12 + 7*0.2 + 14*0.1 = 14.8 = 14 SPD at level 1. Lachke has 12 + 7*0.1 + 14*0.2 = 15.5 = 15 SPD. Maybe a little off if I forgot something but that should be roughly right.

[spoiler=Item inheritance]Items are inherited by the same gendered child. All weapons the child can initially use are inherited, along with all items, and any holy weapons regardless of whether the child can use it. Every other weapon isn't inherited.

[spoiler=Growth/Holy Blood inheritance]Children's growths are their same gendered parent's base growths plus half of the other parent's base growths (base growths being the growths without the hold blood). If a parent has minor holy blood, it's inherited by both children. If a parent has major holy blood, then the same gendered child inherits major holy blood, while the other inherits minor holy blood. If both parents have the same holy blood (major or minor) then both children have major holy blood.

[spoiler=Skills inheritance]Children inherit both parents set of skills, but class skills are not inherited. This means, for example, that both of Sylvia's children won't have dance, and Beowulf's children won't have continue.

And that's pretty much everything about inheritance. I might have forgotten something but whatever.

Edit: I did forget something. Occasionally the parent's roles are reversed. You'll find out who that applies to as you play, I guess.

Edited by I Eat Tables