Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 9: Over the wyvern mountain and through the dark woods

Snowy_One

"Thank you, Milady," Eric said, bowing at the first remark. Walking out of the town, he smiled upon hearing the question.

"It's no problem, really, Milady. We are more like brother and sister, really. You see, I am an orphan. I lived in the streets until Master Arckson took me in, so Dani and her brother Derek were the ones I grew up with. You could say that I love her, but as family. It is not anything like a romance."

"So tell me, Princess, how has life been so far, since leaving Jerdon? Has it been enlightening?"

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Oh I see, that is fortunate for you." said Charlotte. "I did not have any brothers or sisters growing up, as you probably already know."

"Spending a year in a church did not teach me much. I spent most of it wishing to be elsewhere, back home or on an adventure somewhere. I had always wanted to leave the palace, but Hamburg was extraordinarily dull. Perhaps I would have enjoyed it more had I not been so concerned about my family...and everyone else. When I heard the news it was rather devastating." she said with a sad look. "Hopefully the journey we are on now will be more enlightening." she said, managing a weak smile.

Eric frowned. "... I am so sorry, milady. We had been fighting, but there were simply too many soldiers. Then, Jace arrived... We were no match," he continued, clenching his fist. "He felled Master with one blow, and then King Frederic... We tried to protect your mother, Queen Lucile, but she warped us away... If I had been a little stronger...!" he suddenly stopped, regaining control of himself. "My apologies, Princess. I lost myself. Well, I believe experiencing the whole world will aid your future rule. A wise ruler rules for the people, not for power."

"I am sure you tried you tried your best Sir Eric." she said, giving him a pat on the shoulder. "Someday we will return, and I will endeavor to help the people of Jerdon as best I can. Although...I am not sure as to my ability to rule effectively. I grew up in the palace my whole life, I know little of the outside world besides what I have read." Charlotte said, looking out to the vast plains in the distance.

"Great rulers always begin with little knowledge, Princess," Eric said. "That is why you need to expand your horizons, milady. Traveling helps people understand the world, and so shall this journey. It is unfortunate that we have to travel under these circumstances, but on the other side of the spectrum, it is a blessing, in that this may aid you in the long term, when Jerdon is restored. There is no need to worry about it, though, now, as it is months, even years away. In the meantime, simply live life the way you want to. That is all you can do."

Reika yawned loudly as Chase started ranting the same things Morgan, only making less sense. She couldn't see how them wasting time on a pointless quest was "cool too." But then another member of the group started giving her more threats.

Followed by a sarcastic comment from Alferis that made her smile, finally he was showing more personality, even if it was hostility, it was better then the soldier like attitude he was taking before, speaking of soldiers she saw Damian walking over, rolling her eyes and sighing she tried to listen in on another conversation as Damian started lecturing her, each word leaving her mind as soon as the next one entered, the soldier seemed to enjoy ranting. Getting bored, she looked at Damian "That's nice Halton mutt" before turning heel and running towards the other side of the group,it was either that or she try to knife him, and she wasn't going to risk it with this many eyes on her.

The rest of the journey was relatively peaceful, but as they saw the town up ahead Reika slowly started slowing her pace, and eventually as they they approached what looked like a bakery she just left the group, ranks to go explore the town by herself, she figured she'd be fine for as long as the group was in town, but she doubted she could have any fun with those blockheads around.

She didn't really care where she went at first, and soon found a tree, which she hastily climbed and propped herself on, "Keeping an eye on me?" she laughed as she swung her foot back and forth, she wasn't going to waste her time being all formal and stiff, nor was she comfortable with eyes watching her every move. She contemplated heading back to Elysimma, but decided she still hadn't come across her employer, and if she headed back now, it'd be a waste of time. "Hmmmm what to do" she said to herself as she looked around from her position for something fun to do.

Morgan noticed the dog nuzzling Tessa's crotch.

"Probably a stray." she said. "I think I can calm it down though." As she reached for the dog to calm it like she did the horses, it removed itself from Tessa's crotch and ran away.

"Well I suppose I scared it off. You were looking quite uncomfortable." she pointed out to Tessa.

Edited by -Cynthia-

"These diamonds... They are too much. One of them is worth more than six loaves of bread." said the baker. "For one, the proper amount would be two dozens of bread and a fine cake." he said, taking out twenty six loaves of bread and a small chocolate cake. "Do not eat the cake in large quantities though. It is very strong mister."

---

With a happy bark the labrador rubbed it's muzzle into Tessa once again, this time prying his way under her arm until his head had managed to pass out the other side before he sat down and gave a cute little whine, as if desiring to be petted.

"Awww... Tessa dear has a new friend. Lucky her." said Esphyr, happy, but with a tone of resentment in her voice. She wished she could attract animals like the healer, but knew it was pointless. "I wish I could get something like that." she mumbled under her breath.

"Excuse me madame?" came a new voice as a man approached beside Esphyr. "Bonjour. You seem to have dropped a small favor." he said, offering a small handkerchief to the mercenary girl. Esphyr gave him a odd look, as if he couldn't see that she was not the kind for dainty things.

"It's not mine." she replied simply.

"Ah. But a such a lovely favor can only belong to a lovely woman, and I see only three here. You, the dog girl, and that kind little priestess."

Esphyr was about to give a response, but chose instead to bite her tongue; reaching out and taking it instead. "Thank you."

"Thank you kind sir." Cess took as many loaves as he could carry.

"Morgan, could you help me carry some of this?" He was fumbling with some of the loaves, and did not want to drop them.

Cess passed a loaf to everyone, before taking a bite out of one himself. They'd even have some for later.

"Um, who wants the cake?"

I do! wrote Katie, practically leaping up and down as the cake was offered.

"No th-Is that a chocolate cake?" asked Esphyr, raising her eyebrows. "I would like a slice then if possible."

Saved from her current plight by Morgan's timely intervention she brushed herself off a bit, watching the dog scamper off happily looking for someone else to molest.

"Heh heh, thanks there, Sis," she expressed her gratitude. "I... don't really have that much experience with dogs. I've heard you're not supposed to let them know you're afraid of them, or it'll just make it worse, but... Anyway! That one sure was pushy, though, I wonder what got into him."

Suddenly, Tessa made a connection between something the shaman had said and something that had been on her mind a lot recently.

"Say, Sis? Arrin told me how you managed to calm Trevor when I spooked him in the caves. And then, I found out that you used a spell to, um... manipulate Kamilla's memory... You were going to use that on the dog too, right? Just how does it work? Did you really intend for that to happen to her, or did something go wrong?"

"Here you go." He handed the cake to Katie. "Let everyone have some if they want it."

"Did everyone get some bread? We have plenty to eat now. Let's go see if we can find an inn."

Cess noticed the black dog that was lying next to Tessa. It seemed pretty thin, even for a stray. "Maybe we should give the mutt a loaf of bread."

With a happy little bounce, Katie took the cake and quickly started to nibble on it. Nibble on it rather quickly... In less than a moment she had gone from a polite and dainty nibble to a outright voracious gulping down of the food as she started to teeter from side to side.

"Someone stop her before she chokes!" exclaimed Esphyr as she quickly darted to Katie's side to try and restrain the caked woman.

Reika frowned, a few people had passed her as she sat in her tree, and yet every person that passed by seemed to notice her, and they all had that stupid cheery expression and would call out "bonjour" it was starting to feel rather mechanical, and was quite annoyed when she told a man "Get lost, baldy" and the man didn't seem to mind and all. "Where was this Meli... whatever, never coming here again, bloody creeps all of them" she mumbled angrily. She contemplated robbing one of them, perhaps then they'd stop with their friendly attitude?

Morgan helped Cess with some of the loaves. "I hope you did not pay too much for these." she said to him. "We can provide for ourselves."

Responding to Tessa, Morgan answered "The spell used on animals is different. It just shuts doen many of their natural reactions to make them docile and complacent. Fairly simple, but it only works for a short time."

"Kamilla was an entirely different matter. I was attempting to rearrange her memory, which is difficult to do properly. I was attempting to erase her memories of our criminal activities and her mission to speak about the Crimson Weapons, but I may have gone a little overboard, considering her childlike state afterwards. Still, kinder than killing her I suppose and it was necessary. Memory alteration should not be used lightly, a single error can reduce the subject of the spell into a catatonic state, which can be inconvenient." Morgan said, biting off a piece of bread as she spoke.

Edited by -Cynthia-

This new town was very weird...to say the least.

Within several minutes of entering,Cess had traded Diamonds for bread,Tessa had been nearly molested by a stray dog,and a plump baker had appeared to come onto him just after chastising her apparent husband for a similar action.These people even spoke Jerdonian,for some reason,as they were nowhere near what was once Jerdon.

"What else can happen in this odd place?" Damian asked curiously,just seconds before Katie began to choke an a piece of cake.

"Of course..." Damian muttered,walking over just in case he was needed.

As soon as Morgan bit into the loaf of bread, a sudden uneasiness started to sweep throughout her body. The world about her seemed to escalate in volume before suddenly dropping, fading in and out around her.

"The man would only take a single diamond. I feel a bit sorry for having to trick him like that." He explained to Morgan.

"If you could have used that spell on animals, would you have been able to do it to the wyverns in the pass?" Cess asked Morgan.

"We have food, what next?"

With a sudden lurch, Katie pitched forwards and collapsed to the ground; vomiting just before she landed. Esphyr was right there beside her, picking the mage up and rolling her over before bending in close to sniff the vomit.

"Drugs." she said after a second. "I think at least. Don't know what. Demonwart maybe? Or possible spiritleaf? What on earth was baked into this bread?" she asked, looking over at the cake; suddenly grateful she had not had a slice.

Edited by Snowy_One

Reika frowned as another man waved at her, getting irritated, she jumped down from her perch and approached the young man who seemed to have stopped just to wait for her. "What the hell is wrong with this town? You people are all crazy and are either all drugged, or crazy!" she said infuriated, smiling people made her feel uncomfortable, and the town was full of happy smiling people. The man didn't even reply and just stared with a big grin on his face.

Drawing her dagger she swiped at the mans head.

(Snowy, your control, or I'll just behead him, and be on my merry way.)

(Reika lives up to her reputation of stab happy bitch)

Edited by Kanami

Isotov and Irina

Katie had begun eating the cake all by herself, and no one really had time to stop her.

Irina: ... ... ....

Iso: ... ... ....

As she continued without rest, Irina finally just said it.

Irina: Well thanks for sharing with the rest of us! It's not like we're not hungry or anything!

Iso: ... wow ....

Suddenly Katie collapsed! Iso and Esphyr were on the scene immediately! Esphyr quickly identified the source!

Iso: Drugs?! Oh for crying out loud! Katie! Can you hear me?!

Irina: ... never mind ... I don't want any cake.

She knew it. She knew it, she knew it! Big Sis hadn't been malignant at all. Just a case of a delicate operation not going quite as planned. The aftermath was still highly regrettable, but that was were she was supposed to pick up the slack. To right the wrongs was the job of a healer. Pressing onward, she continued.

"I've never had much... well that is to say, I've had exactly zero experience with any sort of mental spells. Just earlier, Eric was telling me to do something about Helios, but I haven't the foggiest idea where to start. I know your magic operates differently than my own, but surely if you tried to teach me something about the mind in general, it would provide at least some help? Maybe then I wouldn't be worthless when it came to fixing matters like this." She had a smile on her face, and a hopeful tone in her voice until she noticed that something was not quite right.

With a near lightning reflex, the man quickly bent back out of the way before bringing his hand about to catch Reika's arm firmly in his grasp. With a sudden, stern, look he quickly flipped her about and to the ground. Yet, as he looked down upon her, his look wasn't harsh or judgmental, but rather... different. Different in a way that could send happy little tingles down Reika's spine and send her down to that happy place down south. Different.

---

With a happy yip, the dog quickly rushed over to where Katie and upchucked and started to happily lick up the vomit.

"EWWWWWWWWWW!" exclaimed Esphyr, squinting her eyes and backing away repulsed as Katie lay there on the ground looking flat out baked.

"I have to place my hands on the animal's head for it to work, so attempting the spell on angry wyverns is likely to get my head but off." she replied to Cess.

"I really only now how to delete not to repair--." Morgan began replying to Tessa before she began to feel extremely woozy.

"The bread is a lie!" she managed to spit out before falling unconscious.