Sirius, Nightmare, Pride and Obviam's magical (and insane) Castlevania journey

ARGHABLARGH I BEAT DEATH

Unfortunately my play time is at 2:55 right now so I can't beat Sirius's play time.

I'm at the save point right outside Dracula's room and this is going to be hell isn't it.

Sirius magically reappear and spoil that thing you were going to tell us pleeeease

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARGHABLARGH I BEAT DEATH

Unfortunately my play time is at 2:55 right now so I can't beat Sirius's play time.

I'm at the save point right outside Dracula's room and this is going to be hell isn't it.

Sirius magically reappear and spoil that thing you were going to tell us pleeeease

In the second phase where he summons wolves and indestructible bats, you can cancel out his attacks by Ignis kick jumping to his other side. He'll use that cape swipe move to try and hit you while Ignis jumping and forget all about the move he was about to do, effectively locking him to just using SOUL STEAL on occasion.

If you're out of hearts and thus unable to Ignis kick, then you can just double jump and teleport to his other side... just keep in mind that you MIGHT get hit by his cape swipe if you don't teleport far enough.

Edited by Sirius

The funny thing is I actually figured that out about right after I made that post because I remembered the guy in the video I watched doing that same thing and only just then realized "hey, how come Dracula didn't do those retarded attacks in the video? ...Oh!"

Unfortunately the furthest I've gotten I actually ran out of hearts against Dracula and then in my frustration I screwed up.

Then I found out I have time to do 2 Optical Shots before I use Ignis, essentially doubling the effectiveness of my hearts, but now my DS is acting all unresponsive and doing weird stuff like making me do Ignis off of the ground instead of letting me jump.

At this point his first phase is harder even though I can beat it almost every time, but it's so draining I can't concentrate.

Edit: beat the fucker

3:03:44

69.2% map completion

5500 gold

66/150 hearts left

288 HP max

Enough MP for only just under 8 consecutive super jumps done as quickly in a row as possible (made fight with Death REALLY hard...dunno if you had more MP than me)

Edited by Obviam

• 2 months later...

Well damn. I can't even reach the first save point in Shanoa's hard mode because the "tutorial" skeletons kill me. Every time. You guys are insane. D:

WTF? Aren't you the guy who said you usually don't go down below 3 hearts of your cap in Twilight Princess? From that, I got the impression you were way better than me at games. But I guess 3d isn't the same as platformer.

(I never got around to finishing hard mode for Shanoa, but I know I got further than that without dying...I didn't go as far as Dracula's Castle, though.

Well damn. I can't even reach the first save point in Shanoa's hard mode because the "tutorial" skeletons kill me. Every time. You guys are insane. D:

Duck in front of them. They don't move into you if you move up to them slowly.

WTF? Aren't you the guy who said you usually don't go down below 3 hearts of your cap in Twilight Princess? From that, I got the impression you were way better than me at games. But I guess 3d isn't the same as platformer.

(I never got around to finishing hard mode for Shanoa, but I know I got further than that without dying...I didn't go as far as Dracula's Castle, though.

That has nothing to do with it. Order of Ecclesia is just straight up harder than Zelda games.

I haven't played any Zelda games where keeping your HP way up was really all that difficult. In Order of Ecclesia you die in a couple of hits to everything the entire game if you play with the settings described in the OP, which Sirius and I did.

And nightmare until he pussied out

Edited by Obviam

I haven't played any Zelda games where keeping your HP way up was really all that difficult. In Order of Ecclesia you die in a couple of hits to everything the entire game if you play with the settings described in the OP, which Sirius and I did.

Have you tried playing Zelda II?

This run is far more difficult than Zelda II. But yeah Zelda II is not a as easy as most (if not all) of the others.

Edit: beat the fucker

3:03:44

69.2% map completion

5500 gold

66/150 hearts left

288 HP max

Enough MP for only just under 8 consecutive super jumps done as quickly in a row as possible (made fight with Death REALLY hard...dunno if you had more MP than me)

Congrats. I seem to have enough MP for 12 high jumps which makes sense since you were out to beat my elapsed time. Your number of hearts would've made the Dracula fight easier for me, I ran out of them during phase 2. Death's fight is always hard with these settings because those bloody sickles bring chance into the fight.

Edited by Sirius

I am. ;/

However, comparing Twilight Princess to Order of Ecclesia is like comparing FE8's Easy Mode with a team of Seths to a warpless run of FE11 H5 mode. ;/

I did beat the Hard modes of the other DS Castlevania games, and I could probably beat this one's too if I could just get past those tutorial skeletons. However, as long as I can't even reach the first save point, I have to keep watching the intro and all the pointless dialogue over and over again, which is why I gave up on it way more quickly than usual. It was just too annoying.

It wasn't a New Game Plus, though. I probably wouldn't have had as many problems if I had kept the extra HP and stuff from my previous Normal mode run, but I figured, if I try Hard mode, then why not do it right?

...well yeah.

@Obviam: I'll try that if I ever give it another go. ;/

The thing about Ruvas Forest is that once you beat it, you know it's all down hill (unless you're doing Albus mode, in which case you still have to beat Death).

More importantly, Ruvas Forest has one of the best tunes in the game.

But yeah, Ruvas Forest and even just the bats in the Monastery poop on the tutorial skeletons.

That has nothing to do with it. Order of Ecclesia is just straight up harder than Zelda games.

I agree with much of this, but it doesn't contradict my surprise that Shade of Shadow was unable to the first savepoint on Hard Mode when I was, and I'm not sure why you think it does. And I can't read the OP as it was, Nightmare edited it with a request so it doesn't contain the settings. Which IIRC were Albus only, which clearly isn't what Shade of Shadow was doing, so that has nothing to do with it.

The settings weren't in the first post. They are in the topic title and some late post on another page where the challenge was first proposed.

Hard Level 1 Cap, Albus, No New Game Plus.

HL1CANNN for short.

I've done HL1CANNN and HL1CSNNN. I love Ecclesia.

I agree with much of this, but it doesn't contradict my surprise that Shade of Shadow was unable to the first savepoint on Hard Mode when I was, and I'm not sure why you think it does. And I can't read the OP as it was, Nightmare edited it with a request so it doesn't contain the settings. Which IIRC were Albus only, which clearly isn't what Shade of Shadow was doing, so that has nothing to do with it.

It's fine if you're surprised, I don't blame you. ;/

Maybe it's because I'm good at exploiting things that completely trivialize a game (which the Zelda series has tons of), but just good/decent otherwise. I can't 1cc any Touhou game on Hard either, for instance (...yet).

I just need to give it another try at some point.

You can break any random 3D Zelda game basically by using the deku nuts (where they exist), the bow (where deku nuts don't exist), the boomerang, or even just your shield. It's really funny how in Twilight Princess, you're basically invincible by just doing nothing.

In Castlevania? Sure, every DS Castlevania (haven't played the other modern ones) has something in it that allows the game to be broken very badly, but it's usually much more difficult to figure out what it is, or to find what you need to make use of it. And, taking PoR as an example again (because I've played that one the most), the "normal" characters may have something that breaks the game even in Hard Lv1 mode, but the same isn't true for the special characters. I did beat Richter mode on Hard Lv1, and while Maria is infinitely better than Richter (and Richter already is much better than both Jonathan and Charlotte), she's not only useless against the final boss, but doesn't break the game. Sure, she owns a few particular bosses really bad, but the hardest thing in Hard Lv1 mode quite certainly aren't the bosses (again, except the final one).