How should we refer to the remakes in the ordering system?

There has been a small commotion in a gamefaqs thread about how we should refer to the remakes. Lots of people feel Shadow Dragon shouldn't be called FE11. This will become more acute when the next original FE title is released and people start calling THAT FE11. Personally I feel we should call them as the are released numerically. Shadow Dragon being FE11, Heroes of Light and Shadow being FE12. But since FE11 as SD is not universally recognized, the same may occur with this new release.

What would you like them to be called? FEDS and FEDS2? How do we go about finding a good universal system?

Just use their names (or a shortened version if it's long like this one).

I don't see the point of using numbers. They weren't released as such. :mellow:

Agreed. They weren't released with numbers, so don't use them.

But if you do use them, then I would consider Shadow Dragon "FE 11" and this one "FE 12", since they were the 11th and 12th Fire Emblem games released.

(unless we count the BS ones. Then I guess we move them back 1).

I see it as FE11 and FESD. Whatever the forum won't bitch about. On IGN, it is universal (even though the forum is pretty much dead now) that FESD IS NOT FE11. I don't really care, since we should refer to it as "FE12" anyway. No one ever includes the BS FE's. If we did, FE4 would be FE5, and so on.

Edited by MGS: Metal Gear Solid

I don't see the point of using numbers. They weren't released as such. :mellow:

No FE has ever had numbers(other then Thracia), yet we the fans dictated them as they were released.

As long as it's not called FE3DS, I don't mind. But it's still the twelfth installment in the series (I don't count the BS FEs as they were short and it was impossible to legally obtain a hard copy) so I'll call it FE12.

I don't see the problem with calling them FE11 and FE12, as they are the 11th and 12th Fire Emblem released respectively. Even if they're "just" remakes. FE3 was "just" a remake as well, even though it added some new content. So what? FE11 added new content as well (wifi, prologue, etc.), even if it by far isn't as much as FE3 did. FE12 is going to have new content as well. Anyone who refuses to call Shadow Dragon FE11 and Heroes of Light and Shadow FE12 can by the same logic not call Mystery of the Emblem FE3 either.

Mystery of the Emblem wasn't a remake, it was a sequel with a remake.

I've always called Shadow Dragon FE11 and FE DS interchangeably, since I know some people don't like it being called FE11. The main reason I call it FE11 is because it's called FIREEMBLEM11 in the game code (from FE6 onwards, only FE9 has the "wrong" numbering in the game code, since it was developed around the same time as FE8).

For this game, I usually call it FE3 DS, but this might change later (since people sometimes mistake it for FE 3DS).

Shadow Dragon and Shin Monshou (or it's final English subtitle) for me. If people can go on without numbering Tales or any other series without official numberings, I don't see why FE can't survive without numbers.

FE3DS will be confusing when the first Fire Emblem for 3DS does come out (FE14?). I refer to Shadow Dragon as FE11, FESD or FEDS, and the next game as FE12 or NewME.

Numbers are confusing for non-fans if they consider the Satellaview games as Games and not an expansion pack to FE3. XP

Numbering systems for Fire Emblem have generally been confusing because of an odd game exclusion of some sort.

The safest suggestion would be to merely refer to games via their subtitle or the most notable part of their subtitle.

The most popular numbering system the US fan base tends to use excludes BS Fire Emblem for whatever reason.

The Japanese fanbase, meanwhile, seemed to have abandoned using a numbering system around the time Seisen came out, but there was a time when Monshou no Nazo was what was meant when "Fire Emblem 2" was discussed, implying that for some reason Gaiden didn't count. This seeped over into a few albums such as the "Orchestral Game Concert" albums, and it confused me for the longest time why tracks like "God's Young Sage" were labeled "Fire Emblem 2".

I tend to just stick to the "safe" subtitle system for now.