FE Newbie

FaceDancer

Kent is more impressive at the beginning of the game, but once Sain's speed starts catching up Kent is pretty overshadowed. It's not a terrible loss, Kent and Lowen are still good to use (and you will get Sain back, albeit at a crappy level).

Could the same be said about Marcus, the pally at the beginning of Eliwood's story? Because everyone says he sucks.

When I used him, he raped people in 1 or 2 shots, the 2 hits mostly in succession.

It just depends on how you're playing. If you're trying to minimize turncounts and play efficiently, Marcus is invaluable. I would recommend against using him on your first time through the game if you can avoid it, though. And if you do, try not to let him get (many) more kills than your other units because it's easy to have them fall behind in terms of levels. A good use for him on a first playthrough is to strip him of items and let enemies attack him so your weaker characters don't have to take hits.

Well by luck I found copies of both FE7 and 8, so I've already started the first. I'm liking the tutorial so far even though I remember going through it once already a long time ago.

Great! They're both the best games for experimenting with classes and such.

Could the same be said about Marcus, the pally at the beginning of Eliwood's story? Because everyone says he sucks.

When I used him, he raped people in 1 or 2 shots, the 2 hits mostly in succession.

Classic

Marcus is quite good, though you don't want to let him get too many kills. You should try to distribute experience among the characters you want to use. Trust me, Marcus may be good now, but no matter how good his stats will turn out, he'll still only be one unit, no matter what, and having only one strong character in later chapters will really backfire on you. On the other hand, if you give experience to a variety of characters that you want to use, they won't be as strong as Marcus right away, but they all will be able to handle enemies without easily dying (unless they're healers or something). In later chapters, you should have a lot of units that will be even more powerful than Marcus (in terms of stats, not overall utility), assuming you didn't get insanely unlucky with level ups and you promoted them at level 20. Take it from someone who learned this the hard way, overusing Jeigan and Marcus in FE3 Book 1 and FE7, respectively.

Also, you probably want to put priority on levelling up your lords, seeing how they're forced in quite a few chapters. Even if you don't like using them, it's better for them to be usable in their forced chapters, than to be a burden in the chapters they're forced in.

Marcus has the dubious honor of being the most mobile and accurate axe unit you'll get (all Paladins can wield axes, but Sain, Kent, and Lowen aren't going to achieve that kind of axe rank without some serious abuse). He also gets (relatively) good Skill, and an affinity that will help to compensate for the "accuracy" of axes.

My sentiment is that FE9 is the easiest game in the series, and probably the easiest one to ease into. The problem is that the gameplay of 9 and 10 is significantly different from the GBA and DS games, and it might be a hard transition between the two.

FE10 is my favorite game, but probably the hardest overall among the games released outside Japan (excluding the higher difficulties of Shadow Dragon).

FE8 is considered the easiest game, but that easiness is partially reliant on level grinding, so it's tedious for its lack of difficulty.

I don't know much about FE7 since I've never played it.

I really don't like FE11, so I don't recommend it... :/

Honestly, the easiest part about it is probably Seth. Let's just toss you a unit who can relatively easily solo the entire game in the prologue.

Edit: Ninja'd and I wasn't even answering a question...

Edited by Rewjeo

The best plot IMO is FE4 Gen1. But I don't know PoR/RD plot very well, so disregard this.

Yeah. Lyn mode plot really isn't all that great existent. Don't worry, 15 chapters is not even halfway through the game. If you disregard Lyn Mode, it's still in the earlygame mode.