MAG Screwed

So,I recently started my first playthrough of this game.My Lugh got MAG screwed: 5Mag at Lv.9.I am currently in chapter 8, and I was asking:Should I drop him for Lilina,who can do almost as good as I heard,or try to purchase Hugh(Even though he's really expensive...)?Or should I try to continue to train Lugh?

If you're going to replace someone then use Lilina. Hugh is more defensive than the other two and has pretty low growth rates (IMO(Plus if you want him at his best it will be. 10,000 Gold.) Lilina is just more powerful and Lugh is pretty much balanced. I would continue to use Lugh but he got screwed pretty bad but you can take your chances with him. (Or use both Lugh and Lilina.)

I never realized up to now how much other people get RNG screwed.I must be pretty lucky then....

Hugh isn't coming for quite some chapter, by the time you get him his level isn't worth the money.

I'd say Lilina, she can easily pull up her level within 2 chapters by feeding her some kills. If you feed her even more she will even reliably double everything she doesn't OHKO.

though Lugh could just be given an energy drop (was it called that?) and gain some more magic later. or just keep using him, but as dodgetank...

If it's your first playthrough (Normal Mode) and Lugh is looking bad, you can certainly use Lilina. She won't turn out as great as a decent growth Lugh might've, but she's not AWFUL in Normal Mode.

I've actually never tried Hugh. I ought to do that sometime.

5 Mag at Level 9 is just two points below is average; are his other stats decent enough to compensate? If so, I'd just keep using him. Enemy resistance sucks in this game, so he doesn't actually need that much Mag to deal decent damage. Get him some supports, maybe an elfire tome and he should do just fine if at least his speed grows as it should.

Lilina works fine on normal mode, too. She's slower than Lugh, so she won't double some enemies if you're unlucky, but her Avd can become pretty good regardless, and she undeniably hits hard. Maybe give her a speedwing if she seems to be too slow.

Hugh is "expensive", but I always wondered what that is all about; a normal player that isn't trying to do an efficient playthrough has so much money available to spend, it isn't even funny.

If you recruit Hugh for the full ten thousand, he's very decent in my opinion; his concrete durability is very high for a mage, and his other stats are, while not outstanding, not bad either. He's durable enough, in fact, to make him able to be deployed at the front lines in Normal mode without having to worry about him much.

He's definitely worth using, in my opinion.

... a normal player that isn't trying to do an efficient playthrough has so much money available to spend, it isn't even funny.

it actually is funny when you have the member card. if you don't have too many characters in your main team, you can just max them all out. all stats, even movement XD

so, just use Lugh and buy him some mag when you get there :P

Edited by whase

If you're using Clarine and don't mind being without a Mage for a while, she'll probably be at 20 around chapter 10-11 if you heal a ton, you can use her once she promotes if she has a decent Mag.

No. Clarine's Mag is horribad. It's even worse than Lugh's.

I say use Lugh, and see how he turns out. Getting him to at least 10 Mag is good. He's just itching for an Energy Drop.

Hugh isn't coming for quite some chapter, by the time you get him his level isn't worth the money.

Your darn right that he isn't. That's money that you could be using to get your some Angel Clothes and promotion items. Steal the Card and kill him, that's what I do in every playthrough. =O

If it's your first playthrough (Normal Mode) and Lugh is looking bad, you can certainly use Lilina. She won't turn out as great as a decent growth Lugh might've, but she's not AWFUL in Normal Mode.

Neither in HM thanks to her great Mag that can kill many bosses in a few turns. Rescue and attack makes her worth using especially on those dammed Berserker bosses.

My Lugh got screwed more. 9 mag at level 20.

My advice...don't use him again. Use Lilina and Clarine. Always.

If you're using Clarine and don't mind being without a Mage for a while, she'll probably be at 20 around chapter 10-11 if you heal a ton, you can use her once she promotes if she has a decent Mag.

Most likely not until Chapter 16. Still she makes great utility thanks to her horsie.

I say use Lugh, and see how he turns out. Getting him to at least 10 Mag is good. He's just itching for an Energy Drop.

That you won't get free anyway without going to the Sacae route. :/ Screw him.

Hugh is "expensive", but I always wondered what that is all about; a normal player that isn't trying to do an efficient playthrough has so much money available to spend, it isn't even funny.

If you recruit Hugh for the full ten thousand, he's very decent in my opinion; his concrete durability is very high for a mage, and his other stats are, while not outstanding, not bad either. He's durable enough, in fact, to make him able to be deployed at the front lines in Normal mode without having to worry about him much.

He's definitely worth using, in my opinion.

Yeah, but 10000 gold could be buying Seraph Robes and Killer/Silver weapons and Aircaliburs and Nosferatues and a BAJILLION other assorted shiny things. You could even save it for Boots in Chapter 21.

Yeah, but 10000 gold could be buying Seraph Robes and Killer/Silver weapons and Aircaliburs and Nosferatues and a BAJILLION other assorted shiny things. You could even save it for Boots in Chapter 21.

Good point.

Personally, however, I just prefer having another decent mage/healer over giving a random character +7 HP or even +2 Move.

As for the weapons those 10k gold could be buying, a mere 10k less won't prevent you from decorating your storage with them. Unless maybe you were going to buy a large amount of promotion items, but eh, I'll gladly use a prepromote over an unpromoted character if the money saved this way allows me to use Hugh and still get a bunch of killer weapons.

I'm not really trying to argue with you, I know Hugh isn't very good from an efficiency point of view. I was just saying that if you do decide to recruit him, he's a decent enough unit from my point of view.

Edited by Raymond

Screw efficiency, I LIKE using Hugh!

Give Lugh a little more time to grow before tossing him. Sometimes, characters will apologize for RNG screwage in interesting ways. Lugh's most practical supports give him quite a bit of dodge, so unless you're gunning for a running nuke (which Lilina does better), he'll do just fine.

My advice...don't use him again. Use Lilina and Clarine. Always.

That you won't get free anyway without going to the Sacae route. :/ Screw him.

That just sounds like a biased response. Lets not forget Lugh gains +4 Mag upon promotion?