Etrian Odyssey 3: The Drowned City

Ein

Ah floor 24... How I wish it could burn and never resurface ever again.

Also I've tried killing the Wyrm 5 times today. Three times it used Howling on the first turn and I died horribly. The other two I forgot to have my Hoplite use Antifire on the x5 turns and died horribly.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it can use howl on the first turn...@_@? wow, it always try to roast me the first turn with breath. what i worry more is the red fang after it buff itself, because if i do not have aegis shield, or some kind of stun/paralyze, it can cause some unpleasant damage that will cause problems if it start howling or trashin.

worst dragon skill I think is first stratum dragon's debuff/OHKO thing, i still die on that thing when i am LV 99 because of that move. second worst move is iceblock because it is so annoying when it does that followed by Regen, i am surprised i killed it on my first try because i did not have ad null for princess. i guess it's flaw was it does not hit very hard,lol

Yggroid shogun failz, there is nothing really catchy about that combination. it does not have extreme damage like droid arbalist, not as bulky and useful as some other Yggroid builds like droid/hoplite, can't be a stamina freak like a droid/monk. other than decent normal attacks, it have nothing special. maybe time to retire it for droid/ninja, droid/farmer, or droid buccaneer. i have not messed around with those yet.

Edited by themastersays

Red Fang hits randomly right? I had my Hoplite deal with that after my Ninja used Otori on her.

The Dragons OHKO attack won't be used until it's health reaches a certain point, I believe it's 30%, and only if your party has 8 or more buffs.

The Drake is probably the most difficult to deal with since it's a complete jerk face. 0 Point, Regen, and Ice Block just make it so much more annoying to deal with.

let your hoplite tank it out....is that a healthy thing for your hoplite? i am sure it will die or be near dead if the thing buff itself. ( i will take that back if you are LV 90 ish, hoplite that level with the right equipts feels like you have your own iceblock.)same can be said about dragon's random attack, since it lowers def most of the time it hits, if it multi hit something, it will be serious. that is the reason dragon's OHKO thing happens to me alot because i am usually buffing up the party so it will take 2 hits to lower the def to abnormal level.

Heh, I'm back! Got the other two endings, too.

[spoiler=Ending musings]Armoroad - Kujara goes from psycho to. . .brick. I don't know which one I despise more. Beating up the Deep City duo was nowhere near as ridiculous as Kujara and the Deep Princess (did it on my first try, and I think everyone was alive). What Olympia does at the end. . .that made me feel horrible. Off to NG+!

True ending - I had a choice between a easy fourth stratum boss, or having Kujara get the crap kicked out of him twice. Guess which way I went? Barely survived against Deep King++, mostly due to my Ninja's amazing dodging abilities and my Yggdroid's durability.

Good to see that the siblings were reunited, and I'm VERY curious to see what happens when I beat up the Abyssal God (not happening any year soon). BUT. . .the Abyssal King screwed up his programming with Olympia, again. So much for emotionless. Kujara is still useless.

Tried to beat up the Drake. It refused to use Frigid, which caused me to die a horrible death. Also, head binds can go to hell. Etheric Charge + Typhoon Bolt is hilarious.

Fuck, I wish we could re assign subclasses... I wanted to rest my characters down to level 41 so I could specialize them for the Karin fight, but I accidentally gave my SHogun Gladiator instead of Buccaneer, so now they're at 36 instead of 41. On the other hand, my Ninja/Zodiac will be able to help my Zodiac/Arbalist now.

(Zodiac/Arbalist is entirely for that passive skill that lets single target skills to hit multiple times. Combined with a maxed singularity, a full Etheric charge, level 7 in every element, and each element plus it's multi hitter, we have a full blown rape machine.

[spoiler=Yeah, I screwed up my subclasses too]1. Concentrate on getting to the fifth stratum.

2. Start doing sea quests.

3. One of the sea quest bosses will solve all your experience problems permanently.

Also, BF22-23 can go to hell.

[spoiler=Yeah, I screwed up my subclasses too]1. Concentrate on getting to the fifth stratum.

2. Start doing sea quests.

3. One of the sea quest bosses will solve all your experience problems permanently.

Also, BF22-23 can go to hell.

Just one question about the sea quests: Are they supposed to be as hard as they seem to be? Don't get me wrong, the ones I do now seem doable, but I can only do the Shark Reliably, and I focus way too much on my broken Zodiac to beat the ship. I can't even imagine what the one at the Tower of Victory is like.

the easiest way to reset subclass is the rest a character. it will reset all skill points and sub class at the cost of 5 levels, which is not that bad considering how fast you can level in this.

i think the stupid tree is a spaceship. I mean, it can produce robots and stuff. and 6th stratum is like.....tentacles humping trees.

Thus, the ultimate fight in this game is Hippie, Hentai tentacle monster VS Space Tree.

Edited by themastersays

Just one question about the sea quests: Are they supposed to be as hard as they seem to be? Don't get me wrong, the ones I do now seem doable, but I can only do the Shark Reliably, and I focus way too much on my broken Zodiac to beat the ship. I can't even imagine what the one at the Tower of Victory is like.

The first few shouldn't be too bad. If your NPCs are healers, bring offense. If they're offensive, bring support. If you can make a party that hits hard and keeps itself alive, you should be good to go.

There's three super-important ones: two for their Limit, and one for abuse.

The Tower of Victory one is hilarious. If you know how to time it right, you should be able to walk away from it without too much grief. There's another one that totally irritates me. . .and I really should go and beat it up some more. . .

I guess what I'm asking is, should I be able to get further than I am right now? I'm only able to beat the ship one, and that's mostly due to luck.

I can't remember where the Ruins of the Giants comes in, but if you beat the snot outta Kirin, you should be able to beat that one (though it will be. . .frustrating at first). Do bring someone with Party Heal and the like; it will make things much easier. Stay away from the final Ruins mission - THAT mission is a total pain.

My Hoplite can tank Red Fang because she has a Crush Amulet to reduce its damage. In fact you should definitely use the Amulets to reduce physical damage. Everyone has 2 Slice Amulets to reduce damage from most Wyrm attacks and my Hoplite tanks the Red Fang damage.

Also, each dragon uses its breathe attack on the 1st turn and every 5th turn afterwords. These turns give you some time to breathe so use them. The Drake on the other hand has 0 Point so you kinda have to use Anticold or Ice Prophecy to avoid the 50% instant death attack that can still OHKO anyone who's hit by it... Stupid Drake.

The Dragon use slash and crush attacks, the Wyrm uses slash and crush attacks, and the Drake uses stab and slash attacks.

To make the Slice, Crush, and Stab Amulets you need items from the boar enemy (x3), lemur enemy (x10), and scorpion enemy (x10) from the 5th stratum. You can also use the respective physical Mist item against the dragon but be careful as to what attack type you use most often since it works on both you and the enemy.

Also... Eclipse! Cherish the 22nd and 23rd floors for the 24th floor will drive you half-mad with self doubt.

Edited by Ein Silver Rose

speaking of tanks, have yet to try this out, but ooze summon is pretty intense since most things does 1 and 2 to it, and it plagues, XD. i am nearly done elemental forging all three of my dragonbanes, and thanks to all the dragon farming, everyone in the party is like LV99.

that abyssal god is looking very tempting right now. i should probably kill it before redoing shogun route to get another carbide armor. wonder what the abyssal god drops......urchild gave me muramasa..,,hope it's drop lives up to it's predecessor.

and here is a question for fun, what if subclass is available in the last 2 games, what would you combine together.i would be like warmagus/hexer

Edited by themastersays

Looks like I'll need to go back into the fifth stratum with a bunch of farmers, because those stupid scorpions HATE dropping things.

I went farming for 6th stratum materials, and for some trade bait for the ships.

[spoiler=Complaining]I wish to stab those Forest Eyes with my underleveled Hoplite's spear.

No thanks to them, I've been beating up the 23F FOEs (rather than challenge that red 22F FOE, which I will stay the hell away from for the time being). The extra Formaldehydes are peachy, but I hate killing those things, because it causes me to use so much TP! Fortunately, Guard Order + Line Guard means my front row doesn't take too much, and a Lion means more damage.

It seems paralysis drops DEF a little. My bazooka (Yggdroid/Arbalister Front Mortar spammer) was doing ~520 damage with Front Mortar normally, and 600+ once I paralyzed the Dreamsmasher (or whatever that stupid stoner sheep is called).

I think the drop rate for the items needed for the Amulets are 10%. If you have the Lucky Hammer Limit skill then have a Gladiator use it with Charge.

Wall eyes watch from the wall because they are wall eyes. Just wait till the 25th floor~ :awesome:

Also... The Wyrm and Dragon are dead! Now only the Drake is left! Hiiragi and Amagede are just adorable though.

Also I'm incredibly confused... I think I need to use Crush Amulets against the Drake because Ice Crush is insane! I guess it doesn't have Shower anymore so no worrying about being Stunned and being impaled by icicles. I don't think it even has 0 Point anymore... I'm still looking out for that because EO1 and 2's Drakes are still fresh in my mind.

Also also the random targeting attack the Wyrm uses is Beat which is Bash based so a Provoked/Otori'd Hoplite can tank the damage if they have a Crush Amulet. Red Fang hits the party and deals slash damage so 2 Slice Amulets on everyone else make it deal super low damage. The only problem is you are using a Gladiator with LV 10 Berserker Vow and a Shogun with LV 5 Kaishaku because even a scratch to a Gladiator after using Berserker Vow MIGHT activate Kaishaku so have your Hoplite use Bodyguard. De geso~

Well all three dragons are dead... Why is the Drake always the jerk ass of the three? Now that I know how to kill them I'll get some more Formaldehyde and get their conditional drops.

grats, you have killed 3 dragons, now the 6 legged white fur ball called elder dragon is ready to be challenged. i still have yet to find a alternative to using bind beasts to kill it. it have nearly no tolerance to high level bind skills, but if you leave any body parts unbinded, you will die, especially the head, supernova is like OHKO with all mighty damage. i have yet to find a good way to kill it with that ninja women and the royal brats. if you want it's drops or farm it, go for the second sea quest for it because it comes with a wildling that helps you bind. it's drops are very lame for a boss that requires you to kill dragon, drake and wyrm. dragonblade is just crap compared to a set of fully elemental forged dragonbanes

i stopped using Kaishaku because it messes up my plans. i don't use that berserk vow because glads are already kind of frail. instead my first 2 turns of a boss fight are usually along the lines of triple def debuffs, eagle eye, wolf howl and that other one wildings use. that sets up for charged meteor on the third turn.

Edited by themastersays

I wonder what element Supernova is. If its fire then I can just nullify its damage. Should be fun figuring out how to kill it. The other three optional bosses are giving me trouble though. That and I keep forgetting to fight them prepared. Also I'm only missing 5 monsters and they are the bosses I haven't defeated. Gold Pasaran was defeated not too long ago.

The Dragonbane has always been one of the best weapons in the game. In EO1 it's a nightmare making it. LOL 3% scale drop :awesome: . The Dragonbane in EO2 is just awesome and in EO3 it makes a Gladiator/Shogun one of the best damage dealers in the game.

Since I'm stuck working on projects and dealing with the tail end of a bloody work filled semester, I haven't had much of a chance to play, but I haven been thinking about what I'm going to do in my Second+ Playthrough with my team, especially in prep for post game stuff.

Shogun/Buccaneer/Ninja: 2 Swords, Katana Mastery, 5 Ring Sword, Endure, Swashbuckling, Lady Luck, Bushin, Ninja Evasion, and maybe that ninja skill that auto kills occasionally. Just imagining how much ass kicking that would be is enough to make my head spin.

Hoplite/Prince(ss)/?: That less physical damage skill, the element guards, Magic Parry and regular Parry, Shield Up, Lance up, Guard Order. Sink a few points into some lance skills if I have extra after that. Mostly used to make sure my extrodinary glass cannon above doesn't die.

Zodiac/Arablist/?: Max Elemental Mastery, Max Element Masteries, Max Singularity, lowest possible points in the Zodiac's attack skills so I can do all 9, the Abalists 2 Hit skill, Proper Form, and then maybe sink the points into learning Meteor Strike. Third class might just be for the 5 extra skill points. Strikes weak points for massive damage.

Monk/Farmer/Gladiator: All the healing/stat skills up to a decent level, form Qi, Harvestry, to market, a couple of points into multi chop and the individual skills and then everything else into club up and club skills. Makes sure that we all survive and can run our asses away in case something fucks up.

???/???/???: I have no idea what I'm going to do for lucky number five. I've got a Ninja/Zodiac now, which is a great way to help my Zodiac deal even more insane damage, but in the long run I might want to switch to something else, especially since my Shogun's going to use the NInja's real pride, that duplication thing. Might put a Yggdroid here and do some work with that, but I dunno.

I have a Wildling/passive Princess in conjunction with a TP battery. She grabs a Lion, debuffs the enemy, then starts poking from the back row. Ad Nihilo and Prevent Order are for emergency use only.

Pick two jobs, you'll never get three ;)

i heard the Pasaran in 5th stratum drop some kind of item, i have still have to chase the ones in 4th and 5th down. i want hexer's dampen skill, i kind of miss that because it is so awesome, that is what got me the dragons' conditional drops in EO2

Well Furby's post is confusing the hell out of me.

You mean you're trying to decide between a Shogun/Buccaneer or Shogun/Ninja or something like that?

If so then a Shogun/Buccaneer is best in a party with a Warrior Might user while a Shogun/Ninja is a solo set up. Shuccaneers utilize Fore Honer on the Warrior Might user for more damage.

Master the Hoplites Guardian skill. Hoplites can make good use of the Ninja and Monk skills. In particular the Ninja's evasion boosting skill and the Monk's passive self healing skill when they use a skill to be better tanks. Although since we're talking post game a Hoplite won't have enough points for any subclass skills. Maybe an extra 3 points. For post game bosses they don't have the time to attack and they won't have enough skill points for attack skills either. At least I think...

Zodiac/Arbalist is good for main game for the less expensive AOE Barrage skills. Zodiac/Gladiator deal huge damage with a Charged Meteor. I wouldn't bother putting more than 1 point in the Mastery skills unless you are going for a Prophecy spell. Ether Mastery SHOULD be mastered because how can you say no to 40% more damage? Also any attack boosting skills/items will boost the power of Meteor.

Form Qi boosts healing skills by 40%. I make my Monk take the Princess subclass for Ad Nihilo and Protect Order since it is affected by Form Qi making them the best healers in the game.

If you are going to use a Shuccaneer use a Gladiator/Shogun or Arbalist/Shogun since they make the best Warrior Might users. Although Gladiators deal more damage with Warrior Might because they have access to better weapons to forge and Berserker Vow. You would need a Hoplite with Bodyguard so your Gladiator doesn't die. Arbalists have the perk of being able to Warrior Might from the back row. You wouldn't really need a Warrior Might user if you are using a Charged Meteor spamming Zodiac/Gladiator.

Phew... You can do whatever you want obviously. These suggestions are just what I prefer to go with.

NOTE: Be aware that the related videos may contain spoilers for some boss fights. >_>

Who wants to discuss these unused tracks for EO3? :awesome:

Unused random encounter battle theme. The name seems to suggest they were going to have a night time battle theme. Or not, who knows.

Unused possible optional boss battle theme.

Unused possible FOE battle theme.

Unused possible boss battle theme.

Of those, the only one I particurally like is blood-Stained Sword. If they did some more flushing it out here and there, it would probably be an awesome boss battle. The rest just came off as too flat.

i need to rethink my team for abyssal god, lol. charged meteor is not inflicting enough damage to it before it recovers. and it does not get stunned or paralyzed easily. i can't seem to kill the other 3 tentacles floating around. 2 floating around the top left and 1 floating in the room directly right of the boss room. i probably need another swashbuckler and probably a higher level hoplite, but it seems easier than uruchild. i should probably take advantage of the thing's counter mode and buff up the warrior might user, since it sit and does nothing but counter for like 6 turns.

You have to use the FOEs in the rooms where the wall eyes see you as soon as you enter the room to kill the Tentacles.

The Abyssal God scares me... It's just so strange compared to everything else in the EO series.

Personally I'm gonna go for the MANLY!solo Shogun/Ninja method even if the video I saw had the Shogun using a fully forged ultimate katana you get from the Abyssal God meaning he had to kill it 9 times. >_>