• Fantasy
    • Sci-Fi
    • thriller
    • realistic
    • mystery
    • horror
    • romance
    • historical

Hopefully I am not missing any, however I have a feeling that I might. Please inform me if this is so.

I have voted for horror. Likely one of least popular ones on the forum(though hopefully more popular than romance).

EDIT. thank you Narga.

Edited by Sophius

Hm... I dunno.

We can discuss without poll?

Anyway, mine'd be Wuxia. Chinese martial arts novels for those who aren't familiar with the genre. Basically, lots of swordfighting, with a good balance between action and romance (in other words, mostly action), and epic hot guys with long hair doing awesome cool things.

I don't really have a favourite genre... but if I had to choose, I would choose literary fiction I guess? That's a very subjective term though. But I usually enjoy books that focus on psychological depth and writing style - though that's not to say that not that other types of fiction can't be psychologically deep.

I guess I also like coming-of-age novels (bildungsroman?), and novels that promote discourse about gender/sexuality (no idea what you would call that).

I tend to avoid historical fiction and romance tongue.gif

Edited by icey

I suppose that between sci-fi and fantasy, which are probably my two favorites, I prefer sci-fi slightly. I can't really think of any reason why however.

I haven't read much in the way of alternative fiction that I like :( In historical fiction, I really like anything by Cecelia Holland or Patrick O'Brian.

I read a lot of fantasy, so that'd be my favorite.

I wanna read a good horror book!!! Can anyone recommend? Cause I've only read a couple books that felt the slightest bit like horror. I wanna book that scares me!!! =D Cause those books that felt the slightest bit like horror only made me anticipate and wanna read more. I haven't found one that has scared me yet. =/

PLEASE PLEASE RECOMMEND!!!

If you haven't yet, try reading Bram Stoker's Dracula (since you like vampires too, apparently). That one is genuinely chilling. And then there are a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's works, such as The Call of Cthulhu. There are a lot of others that I don't remember at the moment, but those two should help get you started.

I don't have a favourite genre, by the by (just to be on topic, ha! I am a clever dastard).

Well usually I try to avoid reading but I suppose I would say it would be between reasonable fantasy fiction(something like His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, etc.) and...dramatic I guess? I'm not really sure what the genre is called but its fiction books that could be real and about like...hmm I will just give examples like Ghost Boy, I Am The Messenger, Wringer, I am the Cheese, etc.

Well usually I try to avoid reading but I suppose I would say it would be between reasonable fantasy fiction(something like His Dark Materials, Harry Potter, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, etc.) and...dramatic I guess? I'm not really sure what the genre is called but its fiction books that could be real and about like...hmm I will just give examples like Ghost Boy, I Am The Messenger, Wringer, I am the Cheese, etc.

Ooh, I liked Wringer too.

I don't really like pigeonholing books into sci-fi, fantasy, historical, crime, horror etc. etc. Some fantasy books scare me. Some sci-fi books involve crime. Some horror books have fantastical elements. Some sci-fi books explore alternate histories. And in all genres, some novels send me to sleep and some make me want to continue reading.

That being said, the medieval charm of fantasy is much more interesting to me than sci fi.

Another good horror book is Salem's lot, especially if you like vampires. It posseses aneExcellent plot, and was one of the few, "horror" books that actually disturbed me. My personal favorite would be It though, that is another really good one.

I can't believe I forgot historical! I'll add that right away.

I'm going to say Sci-Fi on this one, but I far prefer the "good" explained Sci-Fi rather than the generic space settings. I can appreciate a story a lot more if I actually know how the HyperDrives, ect... work, regardless of how far-fetched it is.

Fantasy also appeals to me a lot but I just prefer Sci-Fi.

Silly Alternate History's are also fun. The Command and Conquer: Red Alert series' plot comes to mind here if any one has played it.

I love reading fantasy, but reality is a good second choice. Ellen Hopkins is a great reality writer, and I love her books.

Aaw more genres were added =((((((((((((((((

lol Doesn't quite matter to me that much though. =D

If you haven't yet, try reading Bram Stoker's Dracula (since you like vampires too, apparently). That one is genuinely chilling. And then there are a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's works, such as The Call of Cthulhu. There are a lot of others that I don't remember at the moment, but those two should help get you started.

I don't have a favourite genre, by the by (just to be on topic, ha! I am a clever dastard).

Ooh Dracula. =D Haven't read any of them, I'll look into them! Thanks!

EDIT: OOH OOH!!! MAGNIFICENT DASTARD!!!!!!! heehee

Another good horror book is Salem's lot, especially if you like vampires. It posseses aneExcellent plot, and was one of the few, "horror" books that actually disturbed me. My personal favorite would be It though, that is another really good one.

Haven't read any of them either. Heeheemorevamps

Yeeeeeeeeesss disturbing is definitely one thing I'm searching for!!!!!!!!!!! >=D I must get creeeeped ooooout!!!!

Time to go searching and get my Halloween spirit on!!!

Edited by Freohr Datia

I'm going to say Sci-Fi on this one, but I far prefer the "good" explained Sci-Fi rather than the generic space settings. I can appreciate a story a lot more if I actually know how the HyperDrives, ect... work, regardless of how far-fetched it is.

Fantasy also appeals to me a lot but I just prefer Sci-Fi.

Silly Alternate History's are also fun. The Command and Conquer: Red Alert series' plot comes to mind here if any one has played it.

Is that where some guy from Russia goes back into the past and turns out to be Cain or something?

Action Comedy

Also I don't see comedy on the poll...

Comedy is for simpletons...satire, now that's the genre of a high-brow intellectual!

Holy shit!

?Did you forget you're not in FftF :P

Edited by SeverIan

I just don't particularly care about my post quality. It's amazing that not only did Namie post, but they actually stated an opinion. That used to drive me fucking loony how they'd post all of the time and most of it was just "I have no opinion" and "I don't care really".

and I voted realistic. I like realistic things, even when they aren't real.

OH OH OH I CAN SEE THE DELETE VOTE OPTION!!! =D Don't seem to pay very much attention that well. Time to go vote on those new options!!! =)

EDIT: Now I REALLY don't pay attention. XD Only one favorite. Now I have to choose between fantasy and horror.....

EDIT EDIT: AAAAAAH I can't choose!!! D=

Edited by Freohr Datia

Realistic fiction is about all I've read and remember clearly enjoying. Oddly, I tend to prefer fantasy video games over more realistic ones despite the fact that I read more realistic fiction than fantasy by a fair margin. I guess I prefer both, perhaps a little bit blended, too. For example, what I do like best about realistic fiction is that the characters tend to be fairly easier to relate to, whereas it can be harder with a fantasy piece; but if said piece manages to develop deep, compelling characters, I'll probably end up liking it by having that feeling of common ground with the lead(s). That said, I find it a bit easier to follow stories from a 1st-person perspective than a 3rd-person one, but that's my taste, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

I partly agree. The reason I enjoy Stephen King so much is that he uses the "every man" for the characters in his books, and deeply develops them before quickening the pace of the plot. The "chosen one" theme for books has never really appealed to me.