How did you stumble across Fire Emblem?

Weisspraline

I was really just kinda curious as to how you guys came across Fire Emblem.

Me? I first HEARD of Fire Emblem when SSBM came out. You know, Marth and Roy. Yada yada. I had taken an interest in the series, but only mildly. Marth and Roy were cool, but, ya know. Whatever.

Then when Fire Emblem came to the US, my friend Garreth bought it. He was on the bus one day, and I looked over to see what he was playing. He told me, and (Of course, you know I had to ask it. I was a 6th grader, so I was prolly only 11 or 12. :P)

"Are Marth and Roy in this game?"

So, he let me borrow it. I was hooooooked. It reminded me of the old Shining Force games I used to play. And ever since, I've been addicted to the series off and on.

What about you guys?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend recommended 7, so I went out and bought it. Thats it really. I had known about it from back when Nintendo Power did a little article before 4 came out.

I had first seen in SSBM....i said hey they look cool.....after about a month i didn't even think about it. About 2 months later i saw an add for #7. It looked cool. You get characters and if they die they're gone for good.(At the time i hadn't made the Roy & Marth------> Fire emblem connection. Then about one year later a friend let me borrow fire emblem 7. Awesome in a GBA cartridge. Then i got number 9 then 8 and recently 10! YAY for me! (note i forgot to give it back -_-)

Saw FE7 at a store and it looked like Shining Force, so I asked my mom for it, she said no a couple years later I bought FE8 at Best Buy.

I think it was during 2003 when my very nerdy (nerdy is cool) friend - the guy has great taste in games - introduced to me the world of roms. He only recommended Fire Emblem, and I played it during the winter of 2004. Before, I had only played Pokemon, so I was in for a surprise. A few years later, I got my hands on FE: The Sacred Stones, and it really renewed my obsession for Fire Emblem. :)

*I bought my Gameboy JUST to play FE.

My friend bought it and showed it to me and it looked cool, so I bought it. I had known about Marth and Roy, but I didn't really pay enough attention and think enough to make the connection, so it didn't matter much.

My friend bought it and showed it to me and it looked cool, so I bought it. I had known about Marth and Roy, but I didn't really pay enough attention and think enough to make the connection, so it didn't matter much.

*gasp* you stole my phrase!

One day I was watching my older brothers play a game called Fire Emblem Thracia 776 on the SNES9X. I thought to myself, hey that is actually pretty interesting to have a strategy game for the super famicon, but on emulator. So I gave it a try at one of the other Fire Emblem ROMs by brother had and had a really hard time grasping the game since it was in complete japanese and I couldn't read Jap yet and still can't. At best I could read were the weapons and character stats since they were in numbers I could read. But from there, I've been into FE since.

I must've played #4 about 5 times just to find everything and a few more times to perfect the game with perfect 2nd gen. people (at least in Holy Blood) since I had no other game worth playing. Even though I can't read it, I could just about guess what they were talking about time to time to know what to do. :wacko: It wasn't that hard to figure it out. Definitely liked it how the Ultimate weapon users needed to be challenged by other Ultimate weapon users or else you would be signing your own grave.

This was 6 or 7 years ago.

Like many others I saw the two in Melee and went "Look, swordfighters, sexy!" (classical melee weaponry is always good). I tried to dig up stuff, for maybe 5 minutes and got distracted again. Saw an add for 7 when it came out, bought 7 when it came out, hooked ever since.

After that just got to know the series as a whole (who was in what game, basic plots, etc) and then prayed for more releases stateside. And hay look FE 8-10 and DS on the way. ^_^

yup heard about Marth and Roy on melee and then one day my boyfriend bought me PoR knowing I liked tactical games, especially Final Fantasy Tactics....had to go through the whole "Where's the phoenix down?" thing....and then when I realized, I had to restart the whole game over and loved it ever since lol :D

I never heard of Fire Emblem until I played Super Smash Bros. Melee and was introduced to Marth and Roy. That was my first encounter with anybody from that series, and it got me curious because I also love SRPGs and I wanted to know more about them. I never had the time to pick up any of the localized GBA versions and when I actually did from borrowing it from a friend, I didn't liked it at all. Now fast forward to this month, I am on vacation at my parent's. And I was shopping around at a GameStop near where they live, and I was lucky to find Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn used. I decided to purchase it because if I didn't liked it, I could return it back. And now I'm hooked.

Now I love Fire Emblem and it's a really fun game, thank god I gave this series another chance. And it's so funny because my father also plays Fire Emblem with me and it's kinda cool to see him controlling my troops. Most funniest thing is when he calls about 80% of my male troops as girls such as Soren, Rafiel, Reyson, Zihark, Rhys, and... Oscar oddly enough. So it's always like, "Move that bird lady [Rafiel] next to that blue-haired girl [Zihark] and make her move another turn." ^^;;

only like 3 or 4 people here didnt get FE cuz of Melee. now im wondering how metal gear solid will do when Brawl (if it ever gets here!) comes out

Fire Emblem started as a Japanese-exclusive game series, but Metal Gear Solid has been in America for years. I'm sure it will gather a few new fans... but I don't see Brawl doing what Melee did for FE.

It was kind of inadvertent at first. FE6 hadn't even been released (for which Roy was an advertisement) in Japan, and that was a couple years before FE7. Still, it probably receives full credit for FE's success here in the states, and in other countries too.

oh yeah, good point. Just think if roy and marth weren't in SSBM, how many ppl would be here? hmm.....