Nintendo to localize Japan-only DS titles

The Awesomest

That's the only reason?

Ah well, I guess. A friend let me borrow them sometime back, but I neglected to let him know that my PS2 isn't modded.

Yeah, pretty much. Sony told Banpresto to get ENG VAs to dub the game, or they wouldn't release it. Banpresto didn't have the money/didn't want to.

'Least, that's what I heard.

Super Robot Wars Taisen K and W, it's hard as hell to play when you can't speak Japanese.

It. Will. Never. Happen.

Too many copyright issues because of the huge amount of series in the games.

Yeah, pretty much. Sony told Banpresto to get ENG VAs to dub the game, or they wouldn't release it. Banpresto didn't have the money/didn't want to.

It. Will. Never. Happen.

Too many copyright issues because of the huge amount of series in the games.

Is it now? What a waste, it could've worked fine anyway with just the English Text. Oh well...

Expected, but it's even worse for W considering it's cast is made of series that were released out of Japan... except for the Shin Getter. Either way, it would have still been messy... :/

But I want to halt the birth rate in North America!

Oh man, I've heard so many horror stories about how bad that game can be in a relationship.

But then I hear lots of horror stories about women complaining that their boyfriends aren't paying every iota of their attention towards them, so... >__>

I think it would have done pretty damn well if it had caught on in the slightest over here, which I really think it would have.

Banpresto's loss, I guess. I'll just import the damn thing with a PS2 when both are like ten dollars apiece and have my fun. :V

Oh man, I've heard so many horror stories about how bad that game can be in a relationship.

But then I hear lots of horror stories about women complaining that their boyfriends aren't paying every iota of their attention towards them, so... >__>

See, I think we could easily solve both of these problems by including certain other products along with Love Plus. We can get rid of women forever that way! "Who needs real girls when you have Love Plus?"

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Not only Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side and Love Plus are games in a genre far too niche for the western world to be ever released there, they also are Konami games. And they got severly burned off by their failed Brooktown High attempt three years ago, so...

That's really unfortunate. I'll have to actually take up Japanese then. :(

That's really unfortunate. I'll have to actually take up Japanese then. :(

Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1st Love on DS got very recently (June 2010, if memory serves right) a full translation patch, and I've heard fans are already working on the 2nd DS Girl's Side, if that can be any comfort for you. I'd love the same to happen for the standard branch of the saga, if only for more people to discover them (as for me, I can manage with my Japanese skills), personnally. T_T

Edited by AceNoctali

Banpresto's loss, I guess. I'll just import the damn thing with a PS2 when both are like ten dollars apiece and have my fun. :V

Don't forget to get a swap magic, or a japanese PS2!

The GBA games never really caught on, anyway, so that might have helped their decision.

The GBA games never really caught on, anyway, so that might have helped their decision.

Not Banpresto. They're only the developers of the series. Atlus currently has the localization rights in NA, as far as anyone knows (considering that they haven't announced Endless Frontier EXCEED or Lord of the Elemental, it's possible that they don't have the license anymore). Their reason not to localize OGs is largely speculated to be the above (Sony said that the games must have at least English VAs (hence why we actually got Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love on the Wii, since NISA had to do the English VAs for the PS2 release) to be released) coupled with the fact that they figured it wouldn't sell, using the past precedent of OG1 and OG2 selling like rocks. Which, of course, the latter is purely Atlus's fault, since it's kinda hard to have people buy a game when they don't even know about it. Not once do I remember seeing any advertising whatsoever for either OG1 or OG2 (and this was back in the day when I still read Nintendo Power, EGM, etc.), and I wouldn't even have known about the series at all if a friend hadn't told me about it.

-------

On topic though, I honestly can't think of too many Japan-only DS games that I'd really care about getting localized. For that matter, I can't really think of too many Wii games that are Japan-only that matter enough to be localized either.