My Work. :)

eCut

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ecut, may I ask a question, is it ok for me to sheet some of your battle sprites? I will definately give credit to you for the original work if granted permission.

I'm sorry, I am really not comfortable with that so I am going to have to say no. :(

I'm sorry, I am really not comfortable with that so I am going to have to say no. :(

Dang, oh well it's ok besides I have other methods of getting what I need.

Edit:

A couple hours after this post I realized that I can finally realize a somewhat big dream that I originally had but dumped to the side.

Thanks for the idea!

Edited by hithere1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with your dream!! :)

A bit of a hint as to what I am working on. ;)

Hint.gif

Don't take it is a guarantee though because he is proving to be more difficult than I speculated. :/

I should really post in this more.

You are correct, my friend. :)

I present to you... Prince Leaf!

PrinceLeaf.gif

[spoiler=Actual Leaf...]Leaf.gif

I personally am unimpressed with myself... I like actual Prince Leaf above more. :)

Thank you! :)

Probably not, as per usual. xP Though it wouldn't be too bad considering I would have Leaf's sheet to go by...

Offtopic:

The Leaf mug inspired me to make it , just sayin'. c:

Edited by Ecut

My, prince leaf is marvelous! The crown is top notch, and the shades of green are just--

Wait there's a spoiler tag :P

In all honesty, looks like 1000% better than FE4/5's leaf, not sure why you are unimpressed with yourself, it's simply amazing!

Beauteous! I don't know why you're unimpressed; he looks fabulous. :) Animating him would be crazy awesome, but that also *is* a lot of work, haha. Great job!

Thank you Astelaine! :) You have a new portrait made? How come I haven't noitced it?! D:

My, prince leaf is marvelous! The crown is top notch, and the shades of green are just--

Wait there's a spoiler tag :P

In all honesty, looks like 1000% better than FE4/5's leaf, not sure why you are unimpressed with yourself, it's simply amazing!

Hahaha. :P

And thanks . (:

Something about him just makes me go "Eeeeeeh". xP

Also, I was fooling around with my Leila sprite and made a Matthew/generic thief sprite!

And as always, multiple colour palettes from the games. :)

Thief2.gif

Enjoy!

GAH, why do your stills look so damn clean! I mean, seriously, these are almost good enough to pass as 3D @__@

That was so fast! Not that I am complaining, of course. :P

And awh, that's nice! I am takin' " these are almost good enough to pass as 3D" as a major compliment. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

I personally really like how Matthew and Colm looks.

I think it might be that "close to 3-Dness" that might explain why you weren't overly thrilled with Leaf. While it's quite amazing (as are the thief stills), I think that the 3-D depth shading you have going on is throwing off the clarity of some of the stills. With Leaf, there aren't many dark lines in the interior of the sprite, which blends the colors together when looking at a normal zoom level. It gives the sprite depth, but it also "blurs" the details together. (Yes, a fair number of regular battle stills also don't have darker lines in the interior (barring darkest shading shades, etc.), but I think that your shading style coupled with this might be the issue.)

Still though, I am quite impressed. With the slight similarities between the art styles, I wonder how Leaf would fare against AW:DoR's enemy units?

Well designed? Yes. Flawless? No. The shirt and pantlegs on your thief sprites are venturing very far into pillow-shading territory. It's especially noticeable on your female thieves.

a7b4b2ef536c08ca15e7ed62e89a7bb8.png

Notice how they look blurry at the regular zoom level? That's usually a strong indicator of pillow-shading. Since you've apparently been at this for a while, I'll assume you already know what pillow-shading is. That being said, Glenn put the situation best.

...there aren't many dark lines in the interior of the sprite, which blends the colors together when looking at a normal zoom level. It gives the sprite depth, but it also "blurs" the details together. (Yes, a fair number of regular battle stills also don't have darker lines in the interior [...], but I think that your shading style coupled with this might be the issue.)

Lets have a closer look, shall we? If you don't mind, I'll be doing some zoom-ins to show you the problem areas, and a possible solution.

f848697396c170b3d66cc85278eb89bf.png

Now that we've isolated the problem, you're probably asking yourself "what am I going to do to fix this?" Well, as the saying goes, "less is more". And look, we have a volunteer from the games themselves to demonstrate. Since the pose for the legs is very similar, I'll use the assassin.

16b1682df13162d29129623d4c10dea7.png

And there you have it; minimal shading along the edges. Since we can assume that a battle sprite will only be seen at the following size in an actual game...

2a821176845909638f0f040968a86528.png

... then the shading (or lack of shading) become a little less noticeable. Contrary to popular belief, minimalistic shading is neither "halfassed" nor "lazy" for something this size. It's a detailing trick that's used for small elements that are going to appear on a dinky little screen.

As for the shirt, either use the same concept, or put more shading on one side.

Edited by The Blind Archer

Well designed? Yes. Flawless? No. The shirt and pantlegs on your thief sprites are venturing very far into pillow-shading territory. It's especially noticeable on your female thieves.

a7b4b2ef536c08ca15e7ed62e89a7bb8.png

Notice how they look blurry at the regular zoom level? That's usually a strong indicator of pillow-shading. Since you've apparently been at this for a while, I'll assume you already know what pillow-shading is. That being said, Glenn put the situation best.

Lets have a closer look, shall we? If you don't mind, I'll be doing some zoom-ins to show you the problem areas, and a possible solution.

f848697396c170b3d66cc85278eb89bf.png

Now that we've isolated the problem, you're probably asking yourself "what am I going to do to fix this?" Well, as the saying goes, "less is more". And look, we have a volunteer from the games themselves to demonstrate. Since the pose for the legs is very similar, I'll use the assassin.

16b1682df13162d29129623d4c10dea7.png

And there you have it; minimal shading along the edges. Since we can assume that a battle sprite will only be seen at the following size in an actual game...

2a821176845909638f0f040968a86528.png

... then the shading (or lack of shading) become a little less noticeable. Contrary to popular belief, minimalistic shading is neither "halfassed" nor "lazy" for something this size. It's a detailing trick that's used for small elements that are going to appear on a dinky little screen.

As for the shirt, either use the same concept, or put more shading on one side.

^ I put it in spoilers because of the size.

I get what your saying. I know my style is close to pillowing but I like the look of it . I think that the minimalistic shading is a very unpolished look that I dislike.

I've decided to do what you said and compare it to mine and to a pillowed one:

*Mine for mine.

*C.C. for your constructive criticism.

*P.S. for pillow-shading.

Thieves.png

As you can tell, the legs and chest of mine are very smooth and clean looking.

With your c.c. applied the legs look very jagged and incomplete. Though, I will admit that the chest looks better so thanks. :)

And then the pillowed one is just there to show the difference.

All in all, I am happy with my spriting style and I don't plan on changing it.

However, I will definitely keep the chest the way you said to and fix the female's leggings because they're a bit too pillowy.

Thank you for your input. :)

@Lord Glenn: It definitely makes me look stupid asking this but what is AW:DoR?

Edit:

And thank you Ken Zomg. :D

Edited by Ecut

That would be Advance Wars: Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict.

Anyway, I'm liking the thieves. I'd ask if I may use 'em, but I already have the cloaked ones I made myself =3.

And, I agree with you, your "pillowy" style looks really good, I love it =).

Pillow shading is pillow shading. It doesn't matter how much or how little of it there is. All you did in your example was take it to an extreme.

Dei, right as you may be, a style is a style, and there's not much you can do to change that ;3

Awh, thanks you guys. :)

And you know that you can always use them if you want to Feaw. :)

Ps. I need to pm you about your requests!