Which HM is better?

Nic

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which HM is better to do a first try?

• Hector - FE7
    • Eliwood - FE7
    • Roy - FE6

As far as I know, EHM is basically ENM with less deployment slots and 'slightly' buffed thugs. HHM is somewhat difficult, but is made easier by the fact that enemy AS(and avoid)is a bigger joke than the Zelda CD-i games, and you get early joiners like Oswin and Raven who rip the face off everything(and TBF, Hector does that as well). Sure, there are a few chapters where you can easily screw yourself over(Notably BbD and WU), but other than that, it's just another excuse to PWN things with Hector, Oswin, and Raven. As for FE6 HM, all I know is that the thugs in that game are hardcore. All I can tell you is that many of your units are frail scrubs, your hit rates suck, and having overkill stats in certain areas actually matters.

In a nutshell:

EHM: I wouldn't bother. It's basically ENM with the same shitty enemies and less unit slots.

HHM: Some parts are difficult, but is overall fairly entertaining.

RHM: It is very hard. Not for the weak minded.

Then again, I'm not much of an efficient player. I'll get around to do an effciency run sometimes, but I go at a slower pace generally. So I guess it's because I had time to do DieckxRutgerxClarine, lol.

From an effcient point of view, I guess FE6HM is worse than HHM, but I don't think a first timer will be going for efficiency or anything resembling lowest turn counts.

I don't play very efficiently often myself, this is just the way FE6 is. Though since you brought up supports, that's another thing; FE6 has that stupid support points limit to slow down support growth for those who like to wait around building supports.

The Hit rates are what really bug me, though. I'm not saying everyone should always have 100% displayed, but when some characters are prone to dropping into the 40's and 50's for a while and 70-80 is about average for most/all of the game, things just get annoying. Every boss being on a +3 Def/+30 avoid Gate/Throne doesn't really help (and needing to Roy to Seize every map is also headache-inducing). Enemy reinforcements are also a pain, though that can technically be worked around with some foresight (which a new player probably wouldn't have, though).

Yeah, I don't really like FE6 too much...

Oh god. Roy. That reminds me. That little bastard has to tag along until his late-as-hell promotion. That was annoying. I don't even know how the hell I got him up to level 19 before promotion. I must be wasting so much time.

But when I got to lategame it was just enemies suiciding into my OT3 for lulz. FirShin did very well, too, but I'll leave that as PEMN.

But now you brought up Roy, yeah, I gotta say that HHM is better then. At least Eliwood can promote and become a rescue-drop bot and not to mention he's not forced until endgame anyway. Roy, on the other hand, doesn't even have the decency to get a goddamn horse.

Oh god. Roy. That reminds me. That little bastard has to tag along until his late-as-hell promotion. That was annoying. I don't even know how the hell I got him up to level 19 before promotion. I must be wasting so much time.

Roy isn't actually that hard to raise in level. The early maps are actually pretty good to him, and you get the Light Brand ridiculously early, and you should staple that to him so he can get some extra pot-shot kills. The only real problem is the fact that he lacks move so badly that he needs to almost always be in somebody's pocket, travelling along for an efficient seize.

...then again, the only reason mine managed to hit 20/-- is because he promotes circa ten chapters after everyone else (bar Zeiss, who still has a solid five chapter lead on him).

EHM.

The enemies aren't as ridiculously strong, and the hardest thing to deal with is the experience cut. . .and Cog of Destiny won't make you rip your hair out.

First, I thank a lot to all the users that voted and helped me, I never imagine that a lot of people replied to this topic, and that everyone have a lot of knowledge about the game.Looking up the poll and the replies, I decided to do EHM, It will be my first Efficency run (maybe be cause its easier the lower turn counts than the S Rank, or could I be wrong?) and I dont know a lot of things about it, I only read this made by Dondon151, and he focused it to Hector Mode, IMO it doesnt change a lot of things. Is the Dondon151 FE7 ratings all what i need?, if it isnt, then i will need more information.

I will look up the FE7 SF site.

Edited by Nico~

First, I thank a lot to all the users that voted and helped me, I never imagine that a lot of people replied to this topic, and that everyone have a lot of knowledge about the game.Looking up the poll and the replies, I decided to do EHM, It will be my first Efficency run (maybe be cause its easier the lower turn counts than the S Rank, or could I be wrong?) and I dont know a lot of things about it, I only read this made by Dondon151, and he focused it to Hector Mode, IMO it doesnt change a lot of things. Is the Dondon151 FE7 ratings all what i need?, if it isnt, then i will need more information.

I will look up the FE7 SF site.

Dondon is on an extremely experienced level when it comes to low turning these games. Do not aim for that level on your first time in Hard mode. Overall, his reviews should still be helpful, but certain units will end up more useful due to just allowing them to get more experience.

The relative usefulness of those characters would be more or less around the same, but you really should consider the level estimates that I give with a grain of salt, since most players will take the extra turns to gain EXP and promote units at or near level 20 and such.

Not to mention, I also play a lot differently from most people. Lots of rescuing and attempting to skip parts of maps. So I highly value traits like movement, flying, mountedness, staves, etc. while greatly devaluing traits like durability.

Edited by dondon151

Dondon is on an extremely experienced level when it comes to low turning these games. Do not aim for that level on your first time in Hard mode. Overall, his reviews should still be helpful, but certain units will end up more useful due to just allowing them to get more experience.

If I only have the epilogue of my ENM, I could see how many turns it took me to complete it and decide to do the Hard Mode in less than that number. It's like an objective.

If I only have the epilogue of my ENM, I could see how many turns it took me to complete it and decide to do the Hard Mode in less than that number. It's like an objective.

Yeah, that ought to work. Steadily improving yourself should be better than immediately reaching for the sky.

FE6 HM's only annoying things to me are the few dumb things they have:

- Low Hit Rates

- Chapter 7

- Fucking Ohtz

- Lack of Hero Crests

- Chapter 16? Whichever has Narshen in it

I like its difficulty otherwise, especially when going on a low turn pilgrimage. There's also nothing better but watching Miledy destroy Sacae.

Edited by Tyranel M

Ah forgot Gel.

Actually it was just the map design more than Narshen. Narshen isn't hard, but the layout is ridiculous IMO. @_@

Now picture him with a Runesword and dat crit.

Statuses and long range shit flying everywhere. Frustrating, but satisfying to finish if you ask me.

Now that, good sir, is a HM waiting to happen.:B):

I think Cog of Destiny was supposed to have Lloyd or Linus wield the Runesword on top of the Iron Rune, but they felt that was too difficult and gave them the Light Brand instead. Then again, the Runesword got nerfed on that one since it can't crit.

Yeah, it also doesn't attack with full atk in FE7. Narshen has like, what, 31 atk, 18 AS hitting res (at least, I think it's res) that restores HP? At least he's easy once you steal his Delphi Shield, and there's nothing stopping someone like Rutger from countering him with at least 67 atk from Durandal and then KOing with anything else. At least he doesn't get a throne bonus.

Jerme in FE7's final chapter was just annoying. 22 atk hitting res. But you have guys like Harken at that point who already has 11 base res and up to 18 res with Pure Water, if not more. Probably the funniest thing, though, is that Narshen has better parameters than Jerme, notably only losing AS by 1 but having a lot more str/def.

Edited by dondon151

Yeah, it also doesn't attack with full atk in FE7. Narshen has like, what, 31 atk, 18 AS hitting res (at least, I think it's res) that restores HP? At least he's easy once you steal his Delphi Shield, and there's nothing stopping someone like Rutger from countering him with at least 67 atk from Durandal and then KOing with anything else. At least he doesn't get a throne bonus.

Jerme in FE7's final chapter was just annoying. 22 atk hitting res. But you have guys like Harken at that point who already has 11 base res and up to 18 res with Pure Water, if not more. Probably the funniest thing, though, is that Narshen has better parameters than Jerme, notably only losing AS by 1 but having a lot more str/def.

I've always felt that flying bosses shouldn't just sit on thrones. They should actually move around. Like Gromell and Ashnard in FE9, or Istvan in FE10, Just leave Gates to Druids and Generals. Imagine if Sigune showed up in a random location in Chapter 19 with a bunch of Falcoknights instead of waiting for you to come to her.

Same goes for Paladin bosses too, actually. That's one thing they got right in FE7, they had Paladin bosses that would just charge straight for you. And probably Swordmasters too. Sure, they can have a Light Brand or Wind Sword, but that still makes for shitty 2-range.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jaffar's death entirely avoidable with the right Ninian/physic stave set-up? At a minimum, that would reduce the odds of having to restart to negligible if prepared correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Jaffar's death entirely avoidable with the right Ninian/physic stave set-up? At a minimum, that would reduce the odds of having to restart to negligible if prepared correctly.

Not if he dies on the first enemy phase. During my first run, it took something on the order of 25 resets and 20 wasted numbers before he survived.