Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got bored and found my sav file for Fe7 iv. Somehow got rng blessed enough for flo to dodge all the sleep staff users and kill them. Then breezed though the rest of the chapters, finishing with a 263 turn finish after penalties. maybe I'll even get to my por one I started last year too :/

Edited by HongLei

HEY, I still have that save too. D8

Also, Integ:

LHM + HHM Draft

Teams:

1. Valmanway - Sain, Wil, Raven, Oswin, Canas, Wallace, Rebecca, Renault

2. second pronoun - Kent, Rath, Lyn, Fiora, Ninian, Bartre, Karla, Nils

3. Whitefang - Serra, Dorcas, Isadora, Eliwood, Legault, Farina, Vaida, Geitz

4. Gaius Julius Caesar - Erk, Matthew, Nino, Priscilla, Guy, Dart, Louise, Karel

5. Soul - Florina, Lucius, Lowen, Heath, Pent, Harken, Hawkeye, Jaffar

Edited by Saber

Now I'd like to make a motion towards players of the FE10 Drafts, if I could.

I'd like to propose that Radiant Dragon's Standard Penalties rules become the Generic Ruleset, rather than the current set. I think that they're more polished, more sensical and better.

For reference, a typical draft's ruleset.

What say?

I certainly wouldn't call Geoffrey a "low value" draftee. The problem with Geoffrey is he saves a precise number of turns regardless of the skill of the drafter. He's likely saving little in 4-E, but he's guaranteed to save his two penalties (totaling nearly ten turns) in 2-3 and 3-9.

The reason I choose Geoffrey as free, as Integrity said, is because he's otherwise drafted solely to avoid penalties. The only problem I see with the ruleset is Lucia is now heavily devalued as a draftee (going last round in the draft), but it's not like every draftee has to be equal.

In other news, the Mega Awesome NM Draft (#26960) has finished drafting:

1. Red Fox Of Fire - Haar, Zihark, Marcia, Tormod, Mordecai, Soren, Tibarn, Ena, Fiona, Oliver.

2. Lilmik11 - Nolan, Mia, Shinon, Brom, Kieran, Tanith, Ranulf, Vika, Skrimir, Stefan.

3. Psykitty - Edward, Nephenee, Ilyana, Heather, Leanne, Makalov, Rhys, Sigrun, Lyre, Kurth.

4. Fenrir - Titania, Aran, Ulki, Laura, Reyson, Nealuchi, Janaff, Sanaki, Cainhegis, Black Knight.

5. Radiant Dragon - Jill, Elincia, Gatrie, Geoffrey, Rafiel, Muarim, Naesala, Kyza, Giffca, Volke.

6. Anderson88 - Volug, Astrid, Tauroneo, Calill, Lucia, Leonardo, Mist, Pelleas, Renning, Bastian.

7. Jhen Mohran - Boyd, Oscar, Nailah, Meg, Rolf, Nasir, Danved, Lethe, Gareth, Lehran.

Now I'd like to make a motion towards players of the FE10 Drafts, if I could.

I'd like to propose that Radiant Dragon's Standard Penalties rules become the Generic Ruleset, rather than the current set. I think that they're more polished, more sensical and better.

For reference, a typical draft's ruleset.

What say?

Agreed. And finally.

Although I still don't think it's perfect. For example, why is the rule that Volug is free for 1-5 mysteriously vanishing nowadays? He's forced and not saving turns either way, so it just makes things less tedious, especially considering how common it is to not have any draftees at that point. Theoretically the same could be extended to 3-7 for Ranulf but he's not nearly as helpful there in getting through the map.

Also, I don't really know why Edward is free for 1-1 and 1-2 beside Nolan. Even without any draftees, those can be done with just a Nolan penalty fairly easily. But this might be nitpicking.

I've never seen a draft where Volug is free in 1-5, personally, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Edward being free in 1-1 and 1-2 is probably consistency. It looks kinda silly to me for Edward to be free in 1-P and then replaced by Nolan in 1-1 and 1-2. Maybe. I dunno. Ask RD. :P

I've never seen a draft where Volug is free in 1-5, personally, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Seriously <_<. I'm pretty sure that was the norm until very recently. I know my first few RD drafts all had that.

Edward being free in 1-1 and 1-2 is probably consistency. It looks kinda silly to me for Edward to be free in 1-P and then replaced by Nolan in 1-1 and 1-2. Maybe. I dunno. Ask RD. :P

It's based on what's needed. I've never drafted either, so in any RD draft I've done, I've taken the Edward penalty for 1-P and Nolan for 1-1 and 1-2. This isn't really a big deal, I just feel it unnecessarily devalues Edward as a draftee.

Alternatively, you could say only one of them is free. That way they are devalued equally and if someone drafts one they can use both for those maps.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Seriously <_<. I'm pretty sure that was the norm until very recently. I know my first few RD drafts all had that.

I remember when Volug was free there, but I always assumed that was because those drafts were HM and he was needed to stop Jill from dying. I wouldn't be opposed to Volug being free in that chapter though, since it's mostly a training ground anyway.

It's based on what's needed. I've never drafted either, so in any RD draft I've done, I've taken the Edward penalty for 1-P and Nolan for 1-1 and 1-2. This isn't really a big deal, I just feel it unnecessarily devalues Edward as a draftee.

Alternatively, you could say only one of them is free. That way they are devalued equally and if someone drafts one they can use both for those maps.

I don't see Edward being devalued because he's free for his first few maps. He's still the second best DB draftee behind Nolan. I like the idea of one of them being free, though. I feel that would work just as well.

About 3-1: Do you guys think it would be better to extend the 3-3 exception here too, instead of allowing meatshielding?

I remember when Volug was free there, but I always assumed that was because those drafts were HM and he was needed to stop Jill from dying. I wouldn't be opposed to Volug being free in that chapter though, since it's mostly a training ground anyway.

Volug was free in 1-5 in the draft I hosted. The reasoning was because I felt it was pointless to give a penalty to a unit that wasn't saving turns anyways. I'd probably advocate a similar situation in 2-P.

So I'm to presume we're agreed on RD's Standard Penalties being thrown into the generic list, with free Volug for 1-5 and One Of Edward or Nolan for 1-P to 1-2?

EDIT: Missed RD's last post at the end of last page. No complaints from me - just adding Gatrie (6-mov unit example, not Gat specific) to (all?) Merc teams would probably make it possible to avoid penalties.

Edited by Integrity

I completed the SD H2SOYO in 156 Turns, SD draft VIII in 207. It might be good to note that in draft VIII, you had to recruit every unit, drafted or not.

Just noticed you never updated these completions.

OKAY GUYS

There are now lists of recruitable characters fresh for your copying love into your drafts. Please use them. If you see somebody just copy a tier list for a recruitment list, please point them here.

The Generic Ruleset was revamped with rules pertaining to FE4 (per the recent drafts) and FE5 (per Dio's draft). Free characters were added to 6 and 7 and 10 had its rules shifted to the Standard Penalties. Give it a look and tell me if I missed anything/shouldn't have done something.

That said, is the monster list for FE5 turn penalties really necessary? It seems like, once again, it could become 4 (maybe 5) turn penalties per unit per chapter and not suffer for it.

Edited by Integrity

@FE10's Standard Penalties: I personally believe it's better to not make the exceptions for 1-2 and 2-2, because a Sothe/Micaiah solo of 1-2 isn't hard, and to preserve some of the value of drafting Lucia, plus there are plenty of draftable units available in 2-2 anyway, unlike the other non-Part 3 exception chapters.

Personally, I've only found Volug necessary for 1-5 in Hard Mode, but please correct me if I'm wrong. It's a Survive (it's impossible to fail the Defend condition without failing the Survive one) chapter, so it's not a big deal regardless.

Also, I think it would be cleaner to simply extend the 3-3 exception to 3-1 as well, rather than allow meatshielding, but I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

As for FE5's penalties, I've never played FE5 (it won't work on my emulator, for some reason), much less drafted it, so I can't really help there.

Edited by Radiant Kitty