Joerachi's Emporium of Sprites of Differing Quality

Joerachi

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wen Yang

The right eye looks a bit... Odd in comparison to the left one. Can't really say how, but they don't feel like they match.

The right eye looks a bit... Odd in comparison to the left one. Can't really say how, but they don't feel like they match.

I believe that's Isadora's face, so it's probably the fact that the hair line isn't right on top of her head that's confusing you

Swordmasterwoman-6.png

More splices, weeeeee.

Cleavage is way too high, facial features don't match the face Isa doesn't work on Denrei hair shading in the bottom right looks like very bad custom work :[

Don't make me get into a boob rant, Joe. Cleavage should never be that high up on someone unless they're wearing the most expensive and effective push-up bra in the world. Breasts start, normally, at the top of the armpit. Not cleavage, breasts. The cleave would be even lower than that. With how your sprite it, it wouldn't even show up.

Edited by seph1212

The lower right of inside the castle doesn't make sense. Using the 1 height wall has given you a height continuity error, you're probably gonna need to get rid of the 1 height walls and that staircase in the lower right, and try something different, using the 2-height walls that you separated the lower and upper part of the castle with. Also, tile spam. The throne looks pretty good, I don't really like the long strip down the middle, but that's more preference. The walls that divide up the upper part of the castle just look odd to me. Outside looks pretty good except for extreme tile spam in the shade, and a bit on the normal grass.

Heya Joe! That map is coming along nicely. One thing you should be careful about, though, is that you are mixing "indoor" and "overworld" elements. You have this big indoor map of the castle, but then you're using houses, forts, and hills outside. That messes up the perspective of things; the houses look as small as doghouses in comparison, and the castle as big as an entire honkin' city. Do get rid of the houses, forts, and hills.

5b3d8c1aa0bbdc4fa952088f54de4263.png

Color practice. Skin=Eirikas, FE8 border. Everything was just adjusted from the original palette.

Defense-1.png

Weeeeee.

And Sholes, this isn't from FE3. Iunno if it looks like a map from it though ._.

Edited by Joerachi

• 2 weeks later...

Try and make a pony tail wrap around her on our right POV. I think that might look good.

Left could work too, but that seems like a hell of a lot of shading trouble could happen.

Edited by Psychology

Haven't done this in a while...

098e8cf3b2c6187f88d8046cbbfad77f.png

Red: Shading, you are missing a lot of it. Ref GBA FE maps to see how walls, chests, and pillars are shaded.

Green: Looks wierd as hell, not sure what you were going for there, majorly the random ends of the pillars you threw in there.

Blue: Inconsistent to the rest of the wall(the dark shading on the left I mean)

Purple: Overall looks bad, really bad.

Yellow: Boring and empty

Overall it's just so empty :/

Oh, and Astel was right to say get rid of the houses/forts/mountains, but she never said get rid of the forests, the grass in the front needs something.

The path things in them don't look so great either, it looks more like random spots of dark grass in some areas.

Edited by Hero of Time

I took it directly from L'Arachel :cry:

Hate. This. EXCUSE.

Just because it's from an FE mug, doesn't mean it's PERFECT e__e

God, seriously, Joe. Stop using this excuse. It's annoying, and it's horrible.

The head's too far to the left on the neck, and L'arachel's skin tones are quite pale.

EDIT: and after checking your skin tones, I have to wonder where exactly you DID get them, because they're a lot lighter than L'arachel's.

Edited by seph1212

Joe, that skin tone is not from L'Arachel. Hers is not even that light. I know cause I use it most of the time.

Yours is more like Ninian's or something. -A-

Also, pillow shading neck~

Edited by Amelia

Derp. My sprite sheet borked on me. Her skin''s Blue value went down by like 30 and did that to me ~_~

*Fixes*

EDIT: c9587e601c797b375a1e436bd7a9c346.png

Also color practice.

Edited by Joerachi

Joe, I don't think recolor gonna help you improve your spriting. You just take colors from the existing sprites and recolor.

You should be splicing than recoloring.

Edited by Amelia

d: Color theory is still important, though I would agree constant recolors won't do much for your actual spriting ability.

That being said, the hair doesn't have enough contrast, and the border color on the interior of the armor is far too stark. Even if it was part of the original mug, you could also "practice" your recoloring by altering parts of the original mug that didn't convert to the new palette very well. The shirt could be a bit darker, too.

It's more or less practice for taking FE7 colors and making them FE8ish for some options. I know fully that recoloring doesn't help me spriting.

Evillll-2.png

Derp.

Edited by Joerachi