hithere1's stuff

ThatGuyDownTheStreet

Stole the words right out of my mouth Trent :P

There are a lot of missing shadows and some other things just don't make sense, I'll screw with it in paint later to show you what I mean.

By reading your comment I have found 5 different places which need proper shadowing, thank you for that

Tile spammage, shading errors, walls don't just cut off like that...

And the second one just doesn't make any sense at all.

At least I can fix shading errors and wall cuts, but tile spammage I definately need to work on.

You ever run into these problems Cammy?

Remember that the light source is from the left :]

Ah touche ( the e is supposed to have an accent)

JPEG makes it hard to tell, but

bOWkK.png

Now, don't be intimidated by how many circles there are, it's not too bad of a map at all.

These areas want shading. As April said, the light source is from the left.

This whole area is just plain weird. Keep in mind the heights of the walls and how they correlate to stairs.

Connectivity issues--You used the wrong tiles here. Note that there are endcaps for walls.

The heck are these? Crop circles?

I don't totally remember, but I think there are better tiles for this job. I'd have to check the tileset, though. (You may want to highlight this line)

Now, let's think about this from an architectural standpoint. Would YOU make a set of stairs leading straight into a wall? I didn't think so.

Once you've got these things sorted out, you can try for some detail work (preferably not saving as JPEG) Oh, and I just noticed that the bottom-right corner of the orange area has some weird shading issues, but it won't matter once you've redone those places, right?

JPEG makes it hard to tell, but

bOWkK.png

Now, don't be intimidated by how many circles there are, it's not too bad of a map at all.

These areas want shading. As April said, the light source is from the left.

This whole area is just plain weird. Keep in mind the heights of the walls and how they correlate to stairs.

Connectivity issues--You used the wrong tiles here. Note that there are endcaps for walls.

The heck are these? Crop circles?

I don't totally remember, but I think there are better tiles for this job. I'd have to check the tileset, though. (You may want to highlight this line)

Now, let's think about this from an architectural standpoint. Would YOU make a set of stairs leading straight into a wall? I didn't think so.

Once you've got these things sorted out, you can try for some detail work (preferably not saving as JPEG) Oh, and I just noticed that the bottom-right corner of the orange area has some weird shading issues, but it won't matter once you've redone those places, right?

Thank you for pointing out the flaws of the map, I'll probably later go back and edit it.

At least I can fix shading errors and wall cuts, but tile spammage I definately need to work on.

You ever run into these problems Cammy?

Firstly, calling me that would get anyone else nuked. You get let off with a warning because with a name like hit here 1 you're relatively new and don't know me very well. There's also a certain other nickname I try to avoid, although if you know who to ask everyone they could tell you right away.

Secondly, never save as a Jpeg. PNG or BMPs are best, although I know a good number of people who prefer GIFs.

About the shading errors and wall cuts, just take a look at your tileset and look for a floor tile with a shadow on the left/bottom/top/etc. and place it where Numbers said. Tile spammage can be avoided with practice.

I'd say your main problem is that you're being a bit too ambitious. Start out with a small map, and gradually get bigger. That's how you learn to avoid tile spammage and cut-off failure.

Firstly, calling me that would get anyone else nuked. You get let off with a warning because with a name like hit here 1 you're relatively new and don't know me very well. There's also a certain other nickname I try to avoid, although if you know who to ask everyone they could tell you right away.

Secondly, never save as a Jpeg. PNG or BMPs are best, although I know a good number of people who prefer GIFs.

About the shading errors and wall cuts, just take a look at your tileset and look for a floor tile with a shadow on the left/bottom/top/etc. and place it where Numbers said. Tile spammage can be avoided with practice.

I'd say your main problem is that you're being a bit too ambitious. Start out with a small map, and gradually get bigger. That's how you learn to avoid tile spammage and cut-off failure.

Good advice, I'll start out small and then go big, probably like 20 by 20

How about I just call you Cam, that sound good to you?