Auction drafting tournaments

dondon151

Shadow Dragon: If the tournament is on anything harder than normal, then whoever is only allowed Marth (and maybe Gordin) for the first chapter is completely and utterly screwed.

Would making Jagen free for a chapter or two help?

FE8... Prologue is the same for everyone anyway so Seth makes no difference (there are no draftable units so it'll either be 2 turns with Seth, 3 if you want to level up Eirika or something). In Ch. 1 there aren't enough draftable units to say "suck it up", so perhaps make all forced units free in this chapter. Ch. 2 isn't as bad as NPC Garcia/Ross help out, Eirika has WTA over everything, and you'll have 3 potential combatants. So Seth free in Prologue + Ch.1?

Could just make Gilliam free in Chapter 1. It's not like anyone cares about that glacier.

Another possibility is just to disregard the turncount for certain earlygame chapters. For example, in FE8 Chapter 1 and Prologue, if you're not using Seth, your turncount is almost entirely up to the machinations of the RNG, specifically, how Eirika dodges/hits/crits, so it seems a little bit unfair that some people should start the game off already down in turns through no fault of their own. And to be honest, I don't think anyone really cares how well or badly you play in the piddling first one or two chapters.

idk about Titania, as I said. I want to say that Ike can solo fine but am also pretty sure that's not true in Ch. 4 and might cause problems in Ch. 5-7.

Ike had serious problems in my runthrough, which cost me many a turn in chapter 7, but that may have just been my reliance on Titania.

What you have to remember is that there will always be the next best unit. Even if I couldn't buy Titania, I'd be willing to spend half my credits on Marcia just for the utility she has chapter 11 onwards. Mordecai + Reyson would be bonuses. Heck, I'd consider spending all of my credits getting both fliers if necessary.

What you have to remember is that there will always be the next best unit. Even if I couldn't buy Titania, I'd be willing to spend half my credits on Marcia just for the utility she has chapter 11 onwards. Mordecai + Reyson would be bonuses. Heck, I'd consider spending all of my credits getting both fliers if necessary.

The point is that the gap between Titania and Marcia is much greater than like, the gap between Marcia and Jill.

The problem isn't that there is a best unit; it's that the gap between the best unit and the next best is so large that you can still win with the best unit even if you don't have any of the second through fifteenth best units.

Edited by Paperblade

The point is that the gap between Titania and Marcia is much greater than like, the gap between Marcia and Jill.

Not necessarily in a draft tourny, where Titania only really saves turns early on.

Post chapter 11, Marcia can do most of what Titania can do, and Titania is soon overshadowed statistically by the two fliers as well.

Not necessarily in a draft tourny, where Titania only really saves turns early on.

Post chapter 11, Marcia can do most of what Titania can do, and Titania is soon overshadowed statistically by the two fliers as well.

And for the first third of the game, Titania is thoroughly destroying any other unit in turn counts.

What Titania does for earlygame turncounts is impossible to replace. Jill, Tanith, and to a certain extent even Haar and the Hawks can do some of what Marcia does.

Compare Marcia to Boyd in turn count saving then. Complete annihilation. And this is a high tier unit. You said Jill, but like I did say both.

even Haar and the Hawks

Hawks have gauge and Haar isn't very fast (and comes in at chapter 23 to boot).

And for the first third of the game, Titania is thoroughly destroying any other unit in turn counts.

So it's 2/3 of the game vs 1/3 of the game. Even considering Titania wins by a larger amount in that third than in the two thirds, the gap isn't monstrous anymore.

Edited by Kevin

I sincerely doubt that Marcia is saving ~5 turns a chapter over Jill.

She saves perhaps one or two turns in Chapters 10, 11, and maybe three or four in Chapter 12 if we're not recruiting Jill. That's around five turns overall, which is less than what Titania saves us in earlygame. Although I guess Marcia can also perform flying utility in mid-lategame that Titania can't. I'm er, not sure about this one actually.

Edited by Mr. Know-it-all-Anouleth

Because she really isn't and that's not what anyone actually said (in this thread at least). As for Titania, you're gonna use her early game if you want to have low turn counts, and she doesn't really hold you up in mid-late game. She only begins to falter in endgame. Marcia and Jill join you after the early game part where reliance on Titania is pretty much forced, then slow you down a little because they're underleveled and understatted, but soon become much better.

I don't think they'll be able to make up for the turns Titania saved in early game, though.

and maybe three or four in Chapter 12 if we're not recruiting Jill.

Try 6. The fastest chapter 12 can be done without Marcia is 8 (possibly 7 with Jill, but I haven't tested) while a strong enough Marcia can get it done in 2. You miss Jill, but if you have Marcia someone should have taken Jill anyway.

I'm not saying Marcia > Titania, I'm saying that the gap isn't humoungous anymore. Aside from Jill, no one is comparable to Marcia really either. So in a tier list situation sort of thing, it would be like this:

~lulz~

Titania

Marcia

Jill

or maybe

~lulz~

Titania

~Top~

Marcia

Jill

~High~

Other people.

etc. Flying really can save you that many turns in many chapters to make them comparable.