Top 100 selling 2010 games in Japan

FE6 (remember all those western fans who saw the epilogue of 7 and were like WTFWTFWTFWTFLOLOLOLOL When is Fire Emblem 2 coming out?!

I...think it's a reasonable assumption to see the end of a game that obviously points towards a sequel and, without knowing of FE6's existance, expect said cliffhanger to be resolved. I don't think it's 'WTFWTFWTFWTFLOLOLOL' in the slightest to expect these things. Not all of us were introduced to Marth through SSBM.

I see nothing wrong with official translations apart from the willingness to make use of the name 'Rommit'.

I...think it's a reasonable assumption to see the end of a game that obviously points towards a sequel and, without knowing of FE6's existance, expect said cliffhanger to be resolved. I don't think it's 'WTFWTFWTFWTFLOLOLOL' in the slightest to expect these things. Not all of us were introduced to Marth through SSBM.

Oh, it was lolworthy alright. But of course, the basic premise behind it is the one you conveniently discarded.

Thus the "probably." Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the official translations. They're great, but I'd expect a fan translation to be somewhat better, at least in my opinion.

Fan translations often run into technical issues that derive from the community's necessary reliance on reverse engineering, though. While there are some very solid ones around, I believe only FE6 comes close as far as Fire Emblem games are concerned.

It really depends on who had translated the script. I mean, personally, both FE4 and FE6's translations feel like they're on stilts--brief, lacking, and crude. But the problem with translation is that there's levels to interpreting text--on both translating and reading--which alter how a player or translator perceives their content. Reading relies on personal connotations, which always forms the interpretation. Sometimes, depending on who's translating, the script can appear dull and flat, or fantastical.

I've noticed this when I go through and play some games in French, or read books, as opposed to English--a lot of the time, simply because how I translate it, the stories feel just "better." There's a bit of make-believe in translating because one is expected to convey exactly what the text means, which is actually pretty difficult, especially with cultural sensitivity.

Fan translations and official translations can both be awesome or both suck. A large bit of importance is who's translating the text, and equally, some is who's reading the text themselves.