Return of The Emblem Chapter Two: The Trail

Phoenix

"Yeah, that was definitely a gunshot" he said in agreement as he wondered what in blazes that would be about. A robbery? A murder? An act? A man possibly doing some silly stunt on top of a caravan? All of these were entirely plausible in Nanahm's mind, but each sounded more far fetched than the last one. Regardless, he kind of wandered himself towards the noise, only to find guards shooing people about and people yelling all over the place. The fuck is this? The fuck is THAT? he thought as he saw Gytha and Veronika with some other guy This group is getting weeeiiirrrd... is all he could think, and as such, he kinda gave up thinking and looked around to see if anyone else had a similar dumbfoundedness about them.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunshot, eh? Nanahm already left to check it out, Synthia didn't see any reason why she had to. She continued on her way. It wasn't long, however, before she started to overhear people talking about what had happened at the pier. That... there was.. Rodrigo was here? Like any self respecting Ursaean she had seen several of his shows, and like any self respecting fangirl she had to get to the the pier, now.

Forget lunch, she ran as fast as she could towards the docks where she was surprised to find the rest of the group already waiting, then being let past the guards. She hurried to catch up with them and shouted, "Hey guys, wait for meee!"

"You are Rodrigo Vasquez, correct?" Veronika asked, already knowing the answer as he had told her previously. She pulled out the dcoument located in Raquel's wagon. "We retrieved this document from some bandits. Do you know why your name is on here or any of the other people on this list?" she asked, him, showing him the list

As Rodrigo looked over the list he was surprised to see his own name there even though Veronika had just told him that much. "Where did you get this, and who did you get it from?" he asked with a serious tone. It may just be some random list of names, but it might also have something to do with THEM as well. I can't assume it's not the latter, not with people looking for me who don't even know who I am.

Raquel got down from the wagon and came over followed by Amon. As Nanahm and Synthia came closer, he looked back over his shoulder at the two. Is there anyone in this group who knows who this Rodrigo person is? Not just "the guy on the list", but who actually knows something about him? I have no idea what kind of stance to take with him. He seems relatively harmless, save for that sword he has sheathed on his side, and the dagger, but who is he really? Are we dealing with a potential enemy or just a source of information?

Veronika paused for a moment Is he honestly curious, or just seeing how much we know? Well, we don't need to tell him everything. "As I said, we were fighting bandits near here and this was left behind. Considering that you are on this list, one would think you have some sort of association with these other people," she said.

Gytha wasn't paying attention again. Instead, she was simply watching the ocean, lost in her own thoughts. Maw was returning to her slumber, which had been disturbed by the cart's motion and the voices of all the people around.

"You got a list with my name on it from bandits? ... or is there something you're not telling me here?" he asked a bit suspicious. Does she think I'm working with some bandits they ran a foul of? Nah, can't be. Bandits wouldn't have a list with some of these people on it so it must have been someone else using them or something.

So he's not just working with random bandits then. I still don't want to mention the Fire Emblem, if he's working with the enemy he may leak its location to them. "We believe these bandits may be working with a larger group of criminals, possibly involving robed men and kidnappings." Veronika attempted to gauge his response If he's an enemy or an ally of theirs he'll have some sort of reaction, if not then this may have been a waste of time.

His eyes widening, he responded a bit on impulse "Robed men and kidnappings?" Did they kidnap someone these people are interested in? Good grief. "I only know a few people on this list, but I don't see what all of us would have in common." Other than all us likely being involved with those people.

Should I chance it? Hmm. I know Veronika doesn't want to bring up the fire emblem, but we're not getting anywhere here. Maybe if I just mention the name we heard? "Do you ... know someone named Hayato?" Raquel asked the reservation clear in her voice.

"No." he replied quickly.

"He's a guy with white and red hair. A swordsman I think." she explained.

His eyes widened again. It IS them. I don't know that Kigenese kid's name but I've never seen a hair color like that anywhere else before. So who are these people? What should I say to them? I'm really missing those fans right about now.

Having walked over in the middle of the conversation, it took Synthia a moment to realize what they were talking about. When she did, her eyes went wide and she quickly stepped in between Veronika and Rodrigo.

“Woah, woah, wait. Do you have any idea who this is? He’s Rodrigo Vasquez, The Phoenix. There’s no way he’s working with those people, I think you’re jumping to conclusions here, lady.”

"I never said that he was working with them. I was only asking if he knew them, not that his celebrity status is any measure of innocence anyway," Veronika said to the healer girl. "How do you know them by the way? Are they perhaps associates of yours?" Veronika asked him. What is going on here I wonder...

"You may not have said it outright, but you sure as hell implied it..." Synthia mumbled as she stepped out from between the two. She stood to the side with her arms crossed glaring at Veronika, as if it would actually do anything. "You're not involved with these people, right, Rodrigo?"

A fan? Have I met her before? This is a bad time to have star memory. No matter. Just do what you always do. "Say, what's your name, Miss?" he asked with a friendly tone to Synthia. "And just what do you mean by 'involved', Miss Veronika?" his tone went deeper and more serious again as he answered.

This is ... kind of a bad time for "Oh wow I'm so glad I finally get to meet you!" I mean we might be fighting with this guy in the next five ... minutes ... oh gods, no! We can't do that! We can't get into it with this guy, the guards will help him and then one of the mercenaries will accidentally kill all of them and then we'll be fugitives of justice and oh no oh no oh no oh no oh nooooo! The worry on Raquel's face was more than just obvious. She was sweating now as well.

EDIT: Eh, this works for now.

Edited by Phoenix

"Well, you're either working with them, working against them, or are just acquaintances," Veronika said to Rodrigo, ignoring Synthia for the moment. "It would be far less suspicious for you to tell us who these other people are and your relationship with them rather than dodging the question. Your relationship with them will determine how pleasant or unpleasant this conversation needs to be," she said, giving him a stern glare.

"I'm Synthia, Synthia Azubah. It's a pleasure to meet you in person," she replied politely, then grit her teeth as Veronika spoke. She really hoped someone would stop that lady, with all the guards about this really wasn't the time or place to make a scene interrogating someone as famous as Rodrigo.

Having followed after Raquel to near where Rodrigo was, Domovoi heard Veronika attempt to get information about whether or not he was with the enemy or not without success. The man was refusing to cooperate, instead focusing on charming Synthia, who was apparently a fan of his. Gritting his teeth, Domovoi spoke quietly yet loud enough for Rodrigo to hear.

"With all due respect Rodrigo, cut the crap. This is a simple question we're asking you. Are you with them or are you not. If you are not with them, then just say so and we'll be on our merry way. You'll look a lot less suspicious too. Got it? We might not make a move now if you are with them, so don't be scared, or it'll be quite unpleasant. And it'll be completely your fault."

"Ah, Synthia, is it? I'll remember that name." he said with a smile. 'Azubah'? Heard that somewhere before. "Now, as for these people you're so interested in, I think I might know who they are, but my relations with them are ... assuming you mean who I think you mean ... my relations with them aren't worth whatever trouble you're going through. Why don't you just explain why you're after these people, hmm?" he said to Veronika.

Should we tell him about the kidnapping? Raquel thought to herself.

Over on a nearby rooftop, a lone robed but well obscured figure kept a close eye on the unfolding scene making sure to stay out of sight. Putting away his spyglass after a quick attempt to get a close look at what Rodrigo was reading he commented aloud. "Why the hell is he talking to those people? Are they the ones Sardis warned us about? If that's the case why the hell are they talking to one of our moles? And what's on that parchment?

"I think we can be the judge of however much trouble we want to get into," Veronika replied to Rodrigo. "Her father," she jerked her thumb towards Raquel, "was kidnapped by these strange people and we are a group of mercenaries and other interested parties looking to get him back. We are expecting danger, hence why we all armed. If you have any clues to help us on our search, they would be greatly appreciated."

"A kidnapping?" he exclaimed. What those guys do is their business but if I'm being made into some kind of clumsy last second scapegoat ... Rodrigo balled his fist while grinding his teeth a bit. Whatever he was thinking about was showing on the surface.

"Do you know something? If you do, please tell us." Raquel interjected trying to keep her head down.

"That list of people ... they're probably contacts working for them in some way. If you came looking for me for no other reason than this than it's a safe bet that the people written there are helping out to varying degrees."

"Are you with them or not? W-we need to know because so far they've just tried to ... kill us." Raquel chirped up a obviously suppressing some frustration.

Sighing he replied "Look, I have no intention of giving support to kidnappers, murderers or anything of the sort. When I was contacted a year ago, I was meeting with their representatives; assuming these are the same people. All they wanted from me was relevant information, and maybe an occasional favor or two. In exchange for that, I got a healthy sum of gold for myself ... not that I needed it; and I can call in some 'favors' of my own when I need them. They were probably just trying to get as many people into their deck of cards as possible. Seemed obvious then. Seems dreadfully obvious now.

Don't tell me he doesn't know ANYTHING. This is our only lead so far! We have to get more out of him than that!, Raquel thought, cringing a bit.

OOC: I apologize for lack of posting. Flu + homework assignment.

IC: "You wish to obtain it only to seek to obtain it? You are a treasure hunter then I assume?" Daloth's eyebrows raised slightly. Already his mind was racing through tales and stories of other valuable artifacts and baubles he had heard of before. Several quickly came to mind, but with a quick shake of his head he dismissed them. "I am afraid I have been slightly dishonest with you lady Seliah. Please do not incinerate me! My tale, though true in its essential details, did take some creative liberties. For example, I did indeed fight against twelve men, and indeed there was one more without pants, but he was unassociated and his lack of garb was... more of my own fault. I tell you this for a reason. The woman we are looking for, I do not know her name, and I do not expect that she knows me. However, if we are to find your treasure, I do recall enough about her cart. It is essential for identifying it that I tell the truth, and that you trust me that I am though. Her cart, as I recall, looked something like this..." he said, closing his eyes for a moment as he focused back on the prior few days. Mentally forming a image of the cart, he started to describe what he could recall of it in detail.

Once he was finished, he opened his eyes again. "I do not know where they are headed or what they are fleeing from. However, they may be heading along this road as we speak. Do not mention the monkey though! I suspect the girl wanted him to remain a secret, and asking for it will result in her shutting up."

"So you were working for them, but now are deciding not to because they are more criminal than you originally thought?" Veronika confirmed. He does seem genuinely surprised, though it could all be a ruse to save his own skin. "What is this 'relevant' information that you speak of? Different people consider different sorts of information relevant. Finding out what they wanted to know might make these kidnappers less...mysterious."

Edited by -Cynthia-

"That's a hard question to answer, Miss. See, the thing is, whatever seemed true of them before doesn't add up now. I'm sure they had a reason for messing with you people but I don't know what it is. With that in mind, this kidnapping seems like a random act of violence. Gods only know what's relevant to people like that." he replied.

"Oh come on!" Raquel began finally coming out of her thoughts. "Don't you know anything about them at all? What have they had you report to them so far?"

His shoulders dropped a bit and his head tilted over showing his fatigue with the situation. "Who do you think cut my vacation short? That fast mouth professor's holding a big presentation for the Ursian military in a few days and I was 'invited' to attend. Whatever Weyland's about to show the military, these people are probably interested in it." Putting a hand on his chin he continued. "If I had to venture a guess, I'd say everything is relevant to them. When I meet with their messengers I'm usually recalling an entire day's events. They don't react to much, and nothing really stands out. They take my reports, leave, and I don't see them again for a month or two. I'm probably just another means of gathering information."

Raquel quickly moved closer and whispered to Veronika. "In case you don't know already, Professor Weyland is a famous inventor over here. A lot of what he does is pretty amazing. "What's Weyland unveiling this time?" She asked Rodrigo.

"Not a clue. That's what the military's going to find out. The whole meeting's rather hush-hush." A couple of people on that list are officers, not generals but high ranking regardless. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will be there so do they really need me for this? Maybe they just want me going there to be an extra set of eyes and ears. But something isn't adding up. They kidnapped this girl's father? I'm not buying that just yet.

"I see..." Seliah responded to Daloth, clearly in thought. The true facts of his tale intrigued her considerably. This woman the mage mentioned seemed to be involved in something. Maybe the Fire Emblem was closer than she had ever hoped for. "Your original story was a tad dubious, if I may be frank. But that's water under the bridge. We should focus on finding this woman, perhaps she may provide us with more information than a library could." Addressing her knights, Seliah called out. "Speed it up you two. If her cart is on this route, we need to catch up with them." From his steed, Oude raised a hand in acknowledgment. "Do not worry m'lady, I have no doubt that we could easily catch up to a mere merchant cart or what have you. We are talented horsemen after all."

Satisfied, Seliah once more turned her attention to Daloth. "My apologies, but there's a small detail that I'm rather sensitive about; don't refer to me as a treasure hunter. I'm nothing of the sort, being considerably more if I do say so myself." She stated confidently. She took great pride in herself, believing she was wise beyond her years. "I am a woman of power with an objective." Her face curled into a grin. "Look at me, rambling about myself. Well, what else to do when idle, hm?"

Edited by RPG

"Well, that's not much of a lead for us then. Some sort of secret Ursian military meeting won't be something any of our group would be invited to, unless some of us are secretely in the Ursian military," Veronika said, frowning. "I suppose what we've really learned is that the roots of this organization run deep, if they've infiltrated the military there's no telling what else they've got their hands in. We may have bitten off more than we can chew here, but we can't exactly turn back either."

Edited by -Cynthia-

"You sound like you'd like to actually take these guys on." Rodrigo commented.

Keeping her head low, Raquel muttered a bit. "They kidnapped my father. I don't know what they've done to him or what they're planning to do, and I don't know why they would try to kill us for such a stupid reason but they have to be stopped. At first I just wanted to rescue him, but there's no telling what kind of hell people like that can unleash. People like that need to get shut down."

Stupid reason? What's she mean by that I wonder?, he thought giving her a dubious stare.