Magic only playthrough.

Weisspraline

I've recently picked up FE7 again, and I've been really wanting to do a magic only playthrough for quite some time, but I'm really...rusty. So any ideas, tips, tricks, whatever? Here's the chars I plan on using...tell me if I leave anyone out. :D

-Athos

-Canas

-Erk

-Lucius (I have horrid spelling. Is that right?)

-Nino

-Pent

-Priscilla

-Serra

-Ninian/Nils

The reason I plan on using Ninian and Nils is because they can't really attack, and I fail to badly at Fire Emblem to do it without them. :P

If memory serves, I'm forced to use Hector, Lyn, and Elliwood. Rather than right them out entirely, I think I'll only use one- I'm doing my run through Hector's Story/Mode/whatever, so I think I'll use him. I'm not sure if I will/won't arena abuse; I never have in the past, but I might be compelled to now.

So anything I should do/know, things that might cause a problem for me, etc? Also, the reason I was going to use a lord was because I couldn't remember if only THEY could damage the boss or not, and I really don't want to get to the final boss with a team of mages, and have no way to damage him...:D

You forgot Renault. Your biggest problem by far is going to be Guiding Rings. Do not skimp on picking up recruitment items for other kinds of units from chests. They will sell for a fair amount of money. If you play hard mode, the boss of chapter 19x (18x in Eliwood's story if you change your mind) possesses a Silver Card but you would have to steal it if you wish to use it. If you go to that chapter then you are going to have a little trouble anyways due to the large central portion of the map in which you cannot use magic.

I have never done an all magic playthrough so I am I cannot provide a first hand account of the money issue in regard to Guiding Rings. I have, however, completed an Eliwood and Marcus run (on Eliwood's normal mode). The biggest problem for me was ensuring that I was careful with which items I brought into a map due to my disallowing Merlinus from ever entering the field. Because you will have multiple healers, and nearly all of your characters will eventually be able to heal each other, you are probably not as likely to experience the same problem of rationing Vulneraries and Elixirs as I had (Cog of Destiny was a miserable experience).

My very first run through I played the majority of the game with only Kent...but that didn't work out too well after I got used to the whole "strategy" thing...lol

My recommendation is to forget working on a few of the magic users you have listed, and instead, get a couple leveled up quickly....*I* would leave out Nino, because if i remember correctly, she joins late in the game at a LOW level...so why waste a limited amount of EXP on her if others could put it to better use...

Pretty much anything can kill an entire map if it has a decent enough level advantage, and decent weapons....lol

But thats just my opinion...

You forgot Renault. Your biggest problem by far is going to be Guiding Rings. Do not skimp on picking up recruitment items for other kinds of units from chests. They will sell for a fair amount of money. If you play hard mode, the boss of chapter 19x (18x in Eliwood's story if you change your mind) possesses a Silver Card but you would have to steal it if you wish to use it. If you go to that chapter then you are going to have a little trouble anyways due to the large central portion of the map in which you cannot use magic.

I have never done an all magic playthrough so I am I cannot provide a first hand account of the money issue in regard to Guiding Rings. I have, however, completed an Eliwood and Marcus run (on Eliwood's normal mode). The biggest problem for me was ensuring that I was careful with which items I brought into a map due to my disallowing Merlinus from ever entering the field. Because you will have multiple healers, and nearly all of your characters will eventually be able to heal each other, you are probably not as likely to experience the same problem of rationing Vulneraries and Elixirs as I had (Cog of Destiny was a miserable experience).

Renault sucks too hard to be a real magic user. The max magic that he's ever gotten for me is like 17. :(

--

You probably won't have a big problem with getting the guilding rings. Generally, magic is cheaper than melee weapons (an Elfire, the best general-store magic tome only costs 1560, and has 30[?] uses. A silver blade has 15 uses but costs 1900.), and so you'll be saving lots of money. Plus, you won't have that many characters out on the battlefield, and so yeah. ;D

Why use Nino? cause she kicks ass!! Seriously, though, Nino is freakin' awesome, and not as hard to raise as you might think.

Guiding rings will be a serious problem. And you can't buy promotion items until too late in the game.

Why use Nino? cause she kicks ass!! Seriously, though, Nino is freakin' awesome, and not as hard to raise as you might think.

Guiding rings will be a serious problem. And you can't buy promotion items until too late in the game.

It can be tricky, but w/ a silver card, you can get guilding rings for not too much. Plus, the chapter before Endgame has an infinite ammount of renforcements to power on. Plus, you can arena abuse after the secret shop that has guilding rings sold. -Nods-

It can be tricky, but w/ a silver card, you can get guilding rings for not too much. Plus, the chapter before Endgame has an infinite ammount of renforcements to power on. Plus, you can arena abuse after the secret shop that has guilding rings sold. -Nods-

Which arena is that?

Ouch. I forgot about the Guiding Ring thing. I figure I'll want to promote Lucius and Erk ASAP, as they'll be my main attackers for the early chapters.

And how many guiding rings can you get without buying them? I defainitly WILL use Nino, she wins. Hard. But I might cut some people out, maybe perhaps. Hrm.

Plus, the chapter before Endgame has an infinite ammount of renforcements to power on.

<----Actually didn't know that...yet feels deep down inside that he really should have....and now wants to go play FE again to see if he can get more characters to level 20....including Nino to see if she is as good as you all say...

I seriously never even TRIED leveling her up...now i feel bad....lol

But i guess that does change things....just pretend i didn't give advice...might be better that way...haha

Actually, the Silver Card only exists in Hector's mode, but that will be of no concern if you're gonna abuse the arena.

I don't know what secret shop these guys are talking about with an arena chapter after it... I think you can only buy promotion items in chapter 31: Sands of Time, while the last arena is in chapter 24: Four-Fanged Offense. However, you should be OK considering you'll also get Earth Seals.

Note: the Ocean Seal can be bought earlier, and you also get 7 pitiful turns for the arena in 31x: Battle Preparations.

I had thought that the Silver Card was available in Eliwood's Hard Mode. Upon checking my archaic save file in which I am at chapter 21 of Eliwood's Hard Mode, I found that I do not possess the Silver Card. There is the possibility that I missed it, but I find that unlikely (unless I was frustrated or experienced an unlucky incident of Matthew dying when he shouldn't have) considering how much of a perfectionist I am when playing Fire Emblem. I performed a brief search and found a few sources which suggest that the Silver Card be obtained in both Eliwood's and Hector's Hard Modes but none of those sources are trustworthy enough to depend on.

Battle Preparations is only five turns which is even worse if one intends to make use of the arena.

no, the silver card is 99% not obtainable in EHM...1% is the Mario Kart Promo disc...because in FE8 I was like "Silver Card? Wut? Woah! HAX!" I didn't play HHM before FE8...I did play EHM though...oh and as my memory serves, I've seen 2 places online since FE7 came out that claimed EHM had the silver card and many more that say EHM does not have the silver card...and my memory is very good...when I want it to be...

Let me clear a few things up here.

The only arena after buying guiding rings is in Battle Preparations, with 5, count 'em 5, turns. Obviously, you can rescue and send someone else in, thus getting more use out of it.

The silver card is available in Eliwood or Hector's hard mode by stealing it from Aion in (Im)Prisoner of Magic(the first Kishuna chapter), or by sending it from ch.12 on from Mario Kart bonus disc bonuses.(Which I have, hee hee) No other silver cards available.

I swear it isn't...hmm...doesn't matter to me though...

I almost had the disc...I should have had the disc, had bought Mario Kart on sale before Christmas, and in hindsight, it had the thing that said it had the promo disc...my grandfather gave me Mario Kart inbetween when Mario Kart (1) was bought and Christmas, when I could open MK(1)...and Mario Kart (2) did not have the disc...so I opened MK(2) and returned MK(1)...I was mad when I found out about the promo disc and realized I could have had it...if only I was older at the time...

I could swear I had a silver card in Eliwood mode. O_o

It is possible that it was a glitch. One time my brother was playing PFoD, Jerme's map, and the myrmidon in front of Jerme's door had a horseslayer.

I do now, but when I originally played the game I didn't, and I got silver cards then too. The bonus disk extras have to be manually added to each save file, otherwise they don't take effect. Meaning, I can link my game up and enable the extras, but in order to actually USE them, I have to go to this thing on the main menu of the Fire Emblem game, and transfer the bonus items into whatever gamesave I want to use them in.

I do now, but when I originally played the game I didn't, and I got silver cards then too. The bonus disk extras have to be manually added to each save file, otherwise they don't take effect. Meaning, I can link my game up and enable the extras, but in order to actually USE them, I have to go to this thing on the main menu of the Fire Emblem game, and transfer the bonus items into whatever gamesave I want to use them in.

I know. As I said, I have the transfer data ability. I can't tell you how you got silver cards before that unless you are unintentionally remembering hard mode or thinking of something else completely. I know for a fact and am 100% sure you CANNOT get silver cards in normal mode without transferring.

• 2 weeks later...