can nightmare change the data from a patch?

Claude C Kenny

Question 1: Yes.

Prevention: No. It's like trying to prevent people from Hex Editing anything. That would mean cutting off access to the data in the file with a password for encryption or something like that to prevent them from doing so, which would prevent them from playing it. But that would mean people would be able to access the data when playing after you give them said password, which means they can edit it.

So it's pretty much pointless to attempt anything like that.

That, or do something like it moves the data around each time the ROM starts up, which would be a stupid investment of time, resources, and programming skill for a hack.

Edited by shadowofchaos

crap, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I was just thinking, i'd hate to go through all the trouble im having to get this hack up and running, just for someone to change what I did because they didn't like it. its enough to make me re-think about making this hack.

This is completely hypothetical and I doubt you'll consider attempting it, but you could create a bunch of checksums and prevent the game from loading if the checksums are different.

Back to reality, that seems like a weird reason IMO for you to not want to make a hack. I'm thinking a worse reason would be that somebody steals your hack or bits from your hack. Otherwise, IS has more of a right to be angry when everybody's fiddling with and hacking their games to death : P

This is completely hypothetical and I doubt you'll consider attempting it, but you could create a bunch of checksums and prevent the game from loading if the checksums are different.

Back to reality, that seems like a weird reason IMO for you to not want to make a hack. I'm thinking a worse reason would be that somebody steals your hack or bits from your hack. Otherwise, IS has more of a right to be angry when everybody's fiddling with and hacking their games to death : P

Oh, like how the saves for the new systems have checksums and stuff and say "corrupted data" when loaded if you haven't put the correct checksum.

But yeah, lol IS being mad. You WOULD know about that Mr. Jack of all trades. I got most of my FE10 hacking info from you. XD

Oh, like how the saves for the new systems have checksums and stuff and say "corrupted data" when loaded if you haven't put the correct checksum.

Ah, that's the exact example I was looking for (eg. FE10 saves) Of course, I'm not smart enough to figure out this idea by myself : P

But yeah, lol IS being mad. You WOULD know about that Mr. Jack of all trades. I got most of my FE10 hacking info from you. XD

Um, well, I only tell people how to hack stuff which is probably just as bad or make private hacks. I don't intend on making any hacks public, which is about the best gesture I can make sort of unrelated, but I do actually feel bad for uploading every single FE soundtrack ^^;;;

I guess im just overthinking it.

based on your edited line, vince, how many hacks actually do go public, and which ones are generally well-accepted? I really wanted mine to go public, but its probably not a good idea, if I can't get things right.

I was looking forward to seeing the tier lists, however.

Edited by Claude_C_Kenny

If you want to prevent people from having an easy time hacking it you could repoint tables so that standard Nightmare Modules don't work

You could also do that checksum shit mentioned above

But ultimately it's hard for something not to be hacked... I mean, the people who make video games always try and do anti-piracy patches and whatnot, but how often does someone not crack them so the game can be played on emulators and flashcarts? >_>

If you want to prevent people from having an easy time hacking it you could repoint tables so that standard Nightmare Modules don't work

Key word. "Standard". If the game knows where it is, there's always a way to find addresses.

If it's put together in some fashion artificially (and in such a select environment as programming), it can be undone.

Lunar Magic and FFHackster shuffled around some lock bytes which were checked for, which stopped a modified ROM being able to be loaded. The editor would refuse to display data. It wouldn't be hard to do, but I'd say there's not enough interest to bother with a feature like that. I mean, the number of active people interested in Fire Emblem romhacking is countable.