cavalier sprites are glitching up.

Claude C Kenny

I inserted a few animations from FE8 into the ROM, and eliwoods beta durandal animation, and now whenever my cavaliers attack, when their position resets, the sprite gets glitchy until it finishes resetting. I didn't alter the animations in any way, and the closest one I inserted to their sprites would be eliwood (I replaced the wyvern lord with wyvern knight, and used ephraim armed to cover the unused ballista animations, and used his unarmed animations over ninian's. those two are near the end of the list.)

any ideas what I might have done wrong?

if you need to see a video of what im talking about, I suppose I could try and figure out how to upload one to my youtube page. but it won't be till tomorrow depending.

Edited by Claude_C_Kenny

Firstly, which game are you hacking? I don't know if it'll make a difference, but it might. EDIT: DERP.

Have you tried inserting into a different slot and seeing if that changes anything?

Also, a video would be helpful.

Edited by Kamui Gakupo

Video, although my guess is that it's the same glitch I encountered where 00000008 is replaced with a really weird pointer. I don't know how the glitch came about (I wish I did), but I know how to fix it, so if it said glitch, you have to simply find what it has changed to, and undo that change with a hex editor and find/replace feature. Since enemy units with the 'last item droppable' character "ability" have the 4 bytes 00000008 in their data, check one of those slots and see if it changed. If it did, find what it changed to, and use the hex editor to reverse that change, like I said.

If that's not the issue, then idk what (maybe the video will reveal all--hopefully it's simple... if not, use a back-up D=).

Hm. OK. well, with that in mind, hopefully I won't need to ask a question for awhile. and when I do come back, I should have at least the first chapter up and running.

I'm still ****ed from the get-go, though. maybe i'll try to edit that portrait again, using characters as reference this time like I do with the maps.

see you in a week! (maybe).

crap. I should have clerified. what I mean is that, using the event assembler, I can insert chapters one-by-one, and they won't do anything stupid like overwrite each other?

At the beginning of your event files, you should have a line that says

ORG 0x______ //(I usually use the space around 0xd80000)

and after you assemble, you should get a message telling you where your events end that looks like this:

Events end at offset 0xD80180

or whatever.

So the ORG line of your next chapter should look like

ORG 0xD8190 //(always skip 8 bytes or so just to be safe)