Best/Most Recommended SNES games

deleted35362

I can't see a topic about SNES games and not recommend Super Metroid.

Basically, imagine the most atmospheric, exciting game out today. Put it into 2D and make it more atomspheric and you have Super Metroid. You play a Bounty Hunter, exploring a planet and blasting bad guys as you look. As you go you get a huge variety of fun and useful upgrades.

Sutte Hakkun

Live-A-Live

Arcana

Fire Emblem series

Final Fantasy series

Breath of Fire series

Panel de Pon

Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island

Super Mario World

Bahamut Lagoon

Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu series)

The Addams Family

Aladdin

Alfred the Chicken

Der Langrisser

Itadaki Street

Sugoro Quest ++ Dicenics (I like the famicom version more)

Dragon Quest series

Donkey Kong Country series

E.V.O. Search for Eden

Illusion of Gaia

Krusty's Super Fun House

Jurassic Park

Hanjuku Eiyuu - Aah Sekai yo Hanjuku Nare

King Arthur's World

Lagoon

Lost Vikings series

Megaman X series

Ogre Battle (and the tactics version)

Romancing SaGa

Super Bomberman series

Illusion of Gaia

Terranigma

Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts

Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (really fun actually)

Super Star Wars series

Super Mario RPG

Super Mario Kart

Donkey Kong Country 2. And the others, but mostly 2 because it's so amazingly awesome.

Then there's the Super Mario World series that was pretty great. I remember movie-based games like Aladdin and The Lion King also being quite good, but I was also a kid, so...

Obviously Shaq Fu.

More seriously, adding to those already named, Treasure of the Rudras is worth trying. Zelda : a Link to the Past is very good entry in the series.

Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Killer Instinct were pretty cool too but I'd highly suggest the arcade versions over the SNES ones.

Many sports games were also pretty enjoyable. Other than the big league games like NHL, NBA et al., Super Punch Out was pretty sweet too.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Contra 3 and Super Castlevania IV are both excellent side-scrolling action games. A quick warning about Contra: This is not an easy game. You'll need good reflexes and a good understanding of the level you're on and how the enemies work to get through. If you do decide to play it, start out on the lowest difficulty level possible. Castlevania IV is not as unforgiving as Contra, but still might prove to be a somewhat of a challenge for a first-timer. If you play Castlevania IV and like it, you might also want to give Castlevania: Dracula X a shot.

If RPG's are more your thing, give Lufia and Lufia II a look. Other than that, I don't have much to add. The above suggestions all seem pretty solid to me.

Earthbound was a good RPG SNES game.

This game had some peculiar encounters with enemies and odd environments. I believe one of the bosses you had to face was a pile of slime called Master Belch among other list of very bizarre opponents. Not only that, but you get to name one of the skills you get for one of your characters. As for the environments, I remember there was a city that went very dark and to save your game you had to select no instead of yes. Another thing is that you didn't really see your character do fighting animations in battles because it was in in a first person view, but you can still see spell effects. Even with all the awkward situations, I still enjoyed the game.

Thanks for the suggestions, though I probably should have mentioned That

SNES FEs are too tedious for me, and I don't like anything final Fantasy

(except for Crystal Chronicles). Also I already have Super Mario RPG,

Donkey Kong country 1&2, and...FE4.

Contra 3 and Super Castlevania IV are both excellent side-scrolling action games.

I'm familiar.

Thanks for the suggestions, though I probably should have mentioned That

SNES FEs are too tedious for me, and I don't like anything final Fantasy

(except for Crystal Chronicles). Also I already have Super Mario RPG,

Donkey Kong country 1&2, and...FE4.

But have you ever played FF5 or FF6? If you don't like some of the later ones, that doesn't mean you won't like the superior snes ones.

Also, Chrono Trigger is still something you should try if you like RPGs at all.

No love for the Mega Man X series I see. I mean each one of the ones for the SNES had something nice added in to it.

X - You can learn Hadoken which is a one shot finish to enemy it hits.

X2 - You can learn Shoryuken which is ok I guess never used it much.

X3 - You can use Zero on some stages but if he died he was out of the story. Plus it is possble to get his Z-Saber if you do things right. Not to mention getting the gold armor to.

Maximum Carnage was a pretty good side scrolling game with Spiderman and Venom. Though if you wanted two players you'd have to play Seperation Anxiety.

Demon's Crest. It's an excellent and deep platformer, one of the most unique out there, with a captivating atmosphere, and quite brutal to boot. It's about a demon named Firebrand who wants to become the very best, like no one ever was, and he searches far and wide to find every crest (things that give him powers).

Seconding Megaman X. The first one, at least, was really good. The second is good too, and the third...well, it's not exactly bad, but I don't really like it as much as the other two.