Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Rodykitty

Wait, you're asking me why you shouldn't be an aggressive manchild simply because someone doesn't hold the same view as you? Are you seriously not getting what language I'm speaking in? Or, like, do you have a genuine mental disability that I should know about and pity you for?

How old are you man?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

It is easy to say that "people like different things", but the SO3's twist in the story is extremely overrated and has always been emphasized too much when people judged the game as a whole.

Before this topic existed, I didn't even know about that. From someone that has no idea why it's such a Big Deal (and I don't intend on finding out in this topic), it looks like BOTH of you are overreacting.

I'll form my opinion of said twist if/when I pick this game up.

You've played Star Ocean 4 right? I am pretty confident you won't find it much of a big deal (since SO4 had a more extreme plot element, IMO).

And yes, I'm overreacting, but I don't really care if that makes me a bad guy. The game is more important than me.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

You've played Star Ocean 4 right? I am pretty confident you won't find it much of a big deal (since SO4 had a more extreme plot element, IMO).

And yes, I'm overreacting, but I don't really care if that makes me a bad guy. The game is more important than me.

Okay, that's good. I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere. Now I'm curious.

lol don't know why i'm bothering but here goes. The game as far mechanics go was very well done in most cases IMO. The enhanced invention system from SO2 was a pleasant addition so you didn't have spend money on materials and risk getting nothing 20 times in a row and have to reset. In SE3 you had more control over the items you made without needing to unlock hidden talenta. Unfortunitally that made the game way to easy combined with the infinite fol trick. As far as the story goes I thought the first half was amazing and I think the second half was meh but fortunitaly the gameplay and memorable/unique characters were enough to keep me going. Like most Square Enix RPGs theres a nitch that you can abuse to end up with godly characters in this case its considered moonbase laser weapon and orihalcum x 3 (plus synthesis materials). Since money is easily aquired simply by leaving and an old man to spill his money and silver idols for about 3 hours, you can combine the 4 into an equation and even peppita can gain 90 levels in less then an hour then your strong enough to bonus battle the enforcers on styx, netting as many levels as you want and the entire second disc can end without even needing to use any other character besides the one amped up levels on the 4-legged robots. (of course your more then able to do it to more then one character but its not necessary).

But all I can say is the game as whole didn't disappoint just games with leveling loopholes that are easy to abuse tend to make it less(or more if you like obliterating) enjoyable or just simply not hard enough.

I'd give it about 7/10 for fun factor, characters, music, and gameplay mechanics. The graphics weren't terrible either. I think tri-ace pulled off the 3d anime thing pretty well.

SIDENOTE: you guys who are seriously arguing over a plot-twist both need to man-up and just agree to disagree. Not everyone sees the plot-twist as a bad thing. If nothing else its certainly the opposite of unoriginal and cliche. Not everyone can appreciate that but some like a completely unorthodox twist, neither one of you is right or wrong.

Edited by XxWolfxX

It's not just about the plot twist itself, it's the fact that I've seen people judge the entire game on it, when there is much more to the game than that one scene. This is sounding like I'm saying that gameplay is more important than story, but there are much better games to play if you want story to be the main draw, and gameplay certainly is the most important part of this game, and I don't believe hours of it is reduced to garbage by a 5 minute scene.

Edited by Super FE3 Player

It's not just about the plot twist itself, it's the fact that I've seen people judge the entire game on it, when there is much more to the game than that one scene. This is sounding like I'm saying that gameplay is more important than story, but there are much better games to play if you want story to be the main draw, and gameplay certainly is the most important part of this game, and I don't believe hours of it is reduced to garbage by a 5 minute scene.

well its more like the entire second disc that turned the entire game upside down, but regardless I understand your point and am mostly in complete agreement with you. An example that proves what you say, is the fact that "professional" gamereviewers from say X-play, Gametrailers, or IGN judge a game based on; story, gameplay, music/sound, and graphics. Most semi-modern rpgs fail to excel in all areas and when they do its certainly rare but none-the-less many more then pass for good games. Every game has its pros and cons but the cons don't normally ruin the game unless its to do with gameplay. But you also have to realize that some people just don't like the underlying plot of the game which can ruin it for them. Their reason may seem illogical to you but thats for them to decide. For example I hate Kingdom Hearts, I'll never say its a bad game but I personally don't anything about it is likable besides the music and a couple nonplayable characters.

Kind of reminds me of my twin brother and I arguing Crisis Core. He said I wouldn't recommend it, because it sucks. I noticed every review it got gave it 9/10 and higher so I played it and beat it in 2 days cuz I couldn't put it down because it was just that damn good. So I overenthusiacally when straight back to him and recommended to him and he yelled at me saying how wrong I was because of bad of the game was because it was to easy, you just mash the attack through the whole game. Now if you've played the game you know thats only really true on easy mode in the first few story chapters, and the story more then made up for that. So I insisted he was being illogical but he just hung up on me. So I guess the moral to story is, if you find reasons to enjoy a game that other people aren't open minded enough to see. Because someone says a game is bad for a reason that doesn't make any sense to you, it doesn't make it a bad game, they just don't like it. Thats their "problem" not yours. So its just best to just not bother. If they don't like it, it doesn't mean you can't. Sorry for the novel.

I myself enjoyed SO3 mostly because of the diverse characters, combined with fun gameplay and nice vocals.

Edited by XxWolfxX

You keep mentioning that all detractors hating the game because of the story are talking about one scene. I am confused as to what you are referring to. What I am disappointed in took up most of the latter half of the game, certainly more than five minutes of plot progression. Is there an even bigger horrible twist that I have yet to hear about or something?

Edited by Esau of Isaac

You're right, I overrated the problem. But still, even after the twist it becomes very much downhill from there plot wise and most of it is going through the last dungeons. It's certainly weaker than the first disc but nothing I would accept as offensive or garbage.

And while I accept that the ending explanation was handled poorly, the character reels after it and the ending song make up for it.

You guys are still at it eh? FE3 just because he doesn't like it doesn't mean its bad. It means he doesn't like it. You don't have to admit defeat or anything, just move on, hes trying to the arguement going. Just be the bigger guy and don't reply. At the end of the day it was still a successful game that not everyone has to like for whatever reason. /old man lecture