So apparently the 3DS will be region locked

Mousefire

I am bothered, at least partially. I'm not interested in a 3DS for the time being (already happy with all the systems and games I own), but I may get one in the future, and since I can read and understand Japanese, and we never know if there will be Japanese-only gems appearing on that console...

That, and region-locking looks nonsensical in that era where globalization is the hot stuff.

I'm really tempted to buy a 3DS at launch, but the only thing stopping me is this. Over half of my DS catalogue are imports, at least two that don't have an EU release planned yet (999 and FE12).

Hopefully hackers can find a way around the region lock or something.

Its probably so japan can go like...

Oh hi silly westerners, we have the best games and you can't play them :P

Or rather...

Oh, you want to play Japanese games? Well sure, just give us more money and get a second console!

I'm really tempted to buy a 3DS at launch, but the only thing stopping me is this. Over half of my DS catalogue are imports, at least two that don't have an EU release planned yet (999 and FE12).

Hopefully hackers can find a way around the region lock or something.

For what I've read on various articles about the 3DS region-locking, only 3DS games are affected by it. Japanese DS and DSI-compatible games such as FE12 will work on an US or European 3DS.

I am bothered, at least partially. I'm not interested in a 3DS for the time being (already happy with all the systems and games I own), but I may get one in the future, and since I can read and understand Japanese, and we never know if there will be Japanese-only gems appearing on that console...

That, and region-locking looks nonsensical in that era where globalization is the hot stuff.

My sentiments mirror AceNoctali's pretty much exactly.

I would have hoped 3DS region-locking will be as inconsequential as with the PSP (where region locking is supported but has been used for games only in an extreme minority of cases), but the (reputed) e-mail is unambiguous. This is disappointing news.

VincentASM brings up a good point about Europe; region locking doesn't affect only those who import from Japan.

For what I've read on various articles about the 3DS region-locking, only 3DS games are affected by it. Japanese DS and DSI-compatible games such as FE12 will work on an US or European 3DS.

Oh that's interesting to know, I'll have to look into it.

Although my main issue is still with 3DS games being region-locked, since I'll be keeping my DS Lite for various reasons. I was just mentioning my DS catalogue to show how often I import ^^

Oh that's interesting to know, I'll have to look into it.

Although my main issue is still with 3DS games being region-locked, since I'll be keeping my DS Lite for various reasons. I was just mentioning my DS catalogue to show how often I import ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

Bringing a correction on my statement: DS games with exclusive DSi contents will be region-locked too. Pure DS games won't be affected though.

Shouldn't bother me too much - I do hope, however, that One Piece Unlimited Cruise SP comes to Europe much like the original Wii games did. I don't import too many games as it stands, though that's usually due to money and time.