Fire Emblem - Heart of Steel(Demo-out!)

Fitz24

I remember making a video series about stuff like this. Whole video practically devoted to map insertion.

Starts about around the 4 minute mark.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was some love-letter written on the subject Bigmac-whatever is referring to, about specialized, minority losers fans bashing one another not out of the desire to make something better, but to assert one's own dominance.

What funny playthings these people are, who act such a way for the same reasons.

But that has nothing to do with this hack, n'est-ce pas?

For now I wanted to get started on Chapter 3 of which the map isn't working

wtfiac.png

Would you have happened to hit Ctrl-X or Ctrl-V? If you fixed the tileset in NM, that's the only thing I can think of that could've gone wrong.

It's odd. The tilesets are all in place, matching the ones I used. I changed the event hex, wondering if that was the problem....no luck. I might as well re-save the MAR file somewhere else and see if the actual map file is corrupted.

Would you have happened to hit Ctrl-X or Ctrl-V? If you fixed the tileset in NM, that's the only thing I can think of that could've gone wrong.

I repeat...

Look... I'm sorry I felt it necessary to defend this guy, even if he didn't ask for it. But if you look at the first page of responses, you'll see the type of "unnecessary critique" I was referring to. It can be summed up as: "This hack is just plain ugly ugly UGLY! Better get to work scrub, because this has to be the worst demo we've ever seen; it's not even close to halfway playable omg!!!" Obviously the critique eventually becomes more constructive as the topic goes on, but there's nothing "constructive" about nearly every post on the first page.

The only reason I was blunt in my critique was because I'd felt that I'd established a position with my opening paragraph, along the lines of me not being completely against how horrible this hack was. I meant a lot of that in a lighthearted tone, but obviously it didn't come out that way. I'm more of an "in person" type of communicator, so I guess my Internet communication fails hard.

This should be the last post I make on this topic, sorry for derailing it so much Fitz. There's much more I'd like to say, and I really shouldn't have even posted this. I guess I'm pretty torn between what's the right thing to do here. But good luck on the project and everything, I hope it turns out well for you.

I don't believe I did.

How would I fix it if I did?

As a matter of fact, yes it would. That would screw up all the tile configurations in the MAR file, therefore messing it up when inserted.

Only way I can think of to fix it is A) redo it or B) use BwdYeti's converter.

I suppose I could just re-map it. That map didn't take that long to make

anyways, and besides, I could basically just copy it over. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Well, I have a lawn to mow, and a map to make, later!

I'm... too tired to redline, so let me point out the issues.

The mountains... are like triangles, not a good thing, they need to look much more natural. Mountains are jagged and have uneven parts to it, while yours are straight.

The river to the right, with the 5 tile bridge looks very bad, I say change that section entirely, bridge included(5 tile bridge doesn't look so good).

Your paths are too straight and concrete, jazz 'em up a bit. Mainly the bottom path.

The cliffs, having them all attached looks bad IMO, some people do it, but I personally don't like it at all.

Trees and grass are a bit spammy as well.

Overall, it needs some work, and can easily be fixed up into something outstanding. Refer to prime's mapping tut as well, it covers just about everything I mentioned.

Happy Mapping!

I think what he means is that there's only two peaks throughout the entire "range". If you picture mountains on the horizon, they're jagged, because there are multiple peaks. It's a "valley-peak, valley peak" system, as explained in this small tut here

Now I know for a fact I'm not a great spriter, but here's a boss I spliced together.

reesee.png

I tried to use a lot of parts so it looks somewhat new, and I'm debating re-coloring the bright red helmet.

Sprites aren't my #1 thing, so any suggestions?

1. Determine whether your hack will use FE6/7 or FE8 colors, then run with it. Mr. Generic you posted is FE8 colors.

2. Post your sprites in the Spriting section. You'll get much better advice there.

It's not like colors can't be changed later. The decision doesn't wholly have to be forced now. What matters more is actual progress, rather than nitpicking, or else one lures the risk of losing interest in the project, working on small meaningless matters of no importance.

I have about a thousand problems with that mug, but here isn't the place for that.

On the other hand, if he's just a spectator, why not make him an other unit?