Map insertion gone wrong?

Caliban of Sycorax

The wrong being that the map didn't, you know, insert.

I made a map in Mappy for the prologue, it's 15x10, the same size, I saved it, exported it to a .MAR just fine. I found the offset for the prologue map, which is 0x81B76F4, yet it didn't insert. Why?

You should also insert the map in some free space in the ROM, not over the prologue maps offset.

You need to find some open space in the ROM using a hex editor, and insert your map there, and use both the chapter data editor and the event references module to make your respective changes.

It's somewhat hard to explain over text, so I again recommend you watch the tutorial.

You should also insert the map in some free space in the ROM, not over the prologue maps offset.

You need to find some open space in the ROM using a hex editor, and insert your map there, and use both the chapter data editor and the event references module to make your respective changes.

It's somewhat hard to explain over text, so I again recommend you watch the tutorial.

Makes sense, the reason why I used the offset of the map itself was because I did it once in FE7 by overwriting the Ch11E map with my own map and it worked fine.

If you map has more features than the original map, its going to overwrite whatever is after it in the hex code, and do some funky stuff (i.e. crash the game).

A recommended place to store your new maps is at the offset DA0000.

To illustrate the importance of putting your map where you know it fits, let's say this string is the length of the original map data:

AAAABBBBCCCCDDDD

And the map you want to replace is the string of 'B' data. Your new map is seven 'B' pieces long, which is three more than the original. If you just insert it without paying attention to the new size, you have this:

AAAABBBBBBBCDDDD

The data overflows and can mess up some stuff if you're not careful or attentive. The easiest thing to do, if you're not sure of space, is use space you know is empty. You can expand GBA games to a pretty large size and not have to worry about running out of space, especially for just editing stuff around.

Makes sense, the reason why I used the offset of the map itself was because I did it once in FE7 by overwriting the Ch11E map with my own map and it worked fine.

if u gonna overwrite then use 1B76F4 rather than 0x81B76F4 thats what i usually do

if u gonna overwrite then use 1B76F4 rather than 0x81B76F4 thats what i usually do

And you really shouldn't do this, because if your map is larger than the one you're overwriting, then it could run over the size limit, and overwrite other maps/events/game data. Importing into empty space is always the best idea.

What game is this? Because 0x81B76F4 doesn't sound like the offset of any map, so I'm thinking A) you're not editing the right pointer, B) you're hacking FE6, C) A and B, or D) I'm being stupid.

lolol advice that tells you to do something you shouldn't... XD