Lord of Azure Flame Chapter 24: The Schism

Phoenix

"Right, right..." Helios had started to reply, knowing Morgan's inevitable response, before the content actually fully registered in his brain. When it did, he stopped mid-snark, and just kind of stood there, until another twinge of pain caused by the busybo―well-meaning healer at his side, had him close his mouth with an abrupt indraw of breath.

"Uhh... Your compromise is surprisingly... compro―er... generous. I'm glad you're doing the right thing, even if I had to twist my arm to get you to do so."

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgan

"Just because we are going does not mean that you will be permitted to risk your life at any moment mind you. I still reserve the right to knock you unconscious if you feel the overwhelming desire to do something stupid," Morgan reminded Helios.

"Yes, that means we are all going I suppose. It would be helpful for you to inform everyone that we are about to leave. We have lingered in this inn long enough I think," Morgan said to Jasmine. She then began walking back towards the inn to gather her things and inform everybody of the destination.

Tristan

"Well...if I'm royalty that should make me easy to find right? I'll be right in the palace, biggest building in Burgosas you can't miss it," Tristan said to Viveka, trying to make light of the situation.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Jasmine's Report

Viveka: That's a good point, though I guess I'd have to let your guards know in advance that I'm coming, right?

She decided to not let them part on sad terms and went right along with him. Meanwhile Jasmine made her way back toward the stables, landing at the entrance. She dismounted and left Illiam standing by the entrance while she went in to find Viveka, which frankly took half a second.

Jasmine: Potential good news, Ma'am.

Viveka: What is it? Did you catch Helios?

Jasmine: Uh, yeah but that's not the potential good news. The news is Morgan's decided to we're going with the Jerdonian's for now.

Viveka: ... huh. (I'd better remember to thank him later.) Well I guess we don't have to worry about splitting up for now, huh?

Susann recognized that look and reared back excitedly. The child's father wasn't leaving, which meant the magnificent one wasn't leaving either.

Jasmine Time to tell the General and the others I guess.

She turned and left the stables, next entering the inn and looking around for people.

Jasmine: Hey, guys, listen, you need to get ready! We're leaving with the others soon!

Luc Altair

It seemed Helios stunt worked out for the best. The group was to head for Jerdon, as unified as they could muster. Luc's risk had paid off it seemed.

The Fargo

"Ah what!?" Fargo shouted at the news that girl had brought. "Argh, dammit, why me?" he fell upon the table in depression. "Gah, now I won't get to go home and--" he droned on and on.

Upon returning to the inn, Kelas saddled both the horses, leaving them at one of the hitching posts, and went upstairs to retrieve Arrin and her packs. "Looks like we're going to Jerdon," she announced. "You ready to go?"

Arrin eventually realized someone was talking. "Right... yeah..." He picked up his things as Kelas turned to go get her own. She wasn't sure what the grin on his face was about, but given that they were headed off on yet another wild goose chase, there wasn't really time or reason to bother asking. She didn't want to go to Jerdon, it wasn't her fight and it was delaying fighting the demons, and thus the disbanding of the group as a whole, but she knew everyone else would just tamely follow after Morgan, so she resigned herself to it.

Both ended up outside; Kelas was busy attaching the packs to their respective saddles, while Arrin just stood there, still in a daze, wondering when Tessa would show up.

OOC: Due to busy, will probably not post again until we're actually on the road.

Freedom, Tobe eventually decided, was a bit boring. He eventually wandered back downstairs, now that the shouting had stopped, and looked around. He only saw a few people he knew; the lady with the great huge lizard, and the friend of the other lady, the one with the skittish pegasus. The wyvern lady was talking to an unfamiliar man, and Tobe figured he should probably figure out who it was so he could tell Beau. Haltingly he approached the pegasus lady. "'Scuse me, Miss? D'you know who that'n over there is?" he asked, tugging on her sleeve.

OOC: oops double post OH WELL am doing things

Edited by Kiryn

Revelatory Pegasus Knight

There weren't too many people in the immediate area to hear what she said directly, and she didn't want to go throughout the inn and telling people one by one or two by two, but her call didn't seem to have the total effect she wanted. Before she could decide whether or not to suck it up and go tell one person at a time, little Tobe inquired about Damian. That wasn't expected despite the fact he was apparently the man's son. Understandably, she doubted she should be the one to tell him this, but he was right there.

Jasmine: Uh, well that's ... Damian K-Kleine. He's a colonel in Halton's military and working with this group. (Well, I said it ... ... so here we go ... ... I sure hope Viv gets back in here soon ...)

Tobe jumped slightly, startled. "Thanks, lady," he mumbled, and hesitantly walked over to where the man-- possibly his father-- stood. He wasn't actually sure what he was supposed to do at this point; various people in palace service had had different suggestions ranging from punching the man for leaving to asking for money, but Tobe was afraid to do anything like any of those suggestions, and the man seemed like a decent enough sort, Tobe didn't want to try to do any harm anyway. He wasn't even sure what he ought to say, so he just stood, staring slightly, and trying unconsciously to shrink away.

Edited by Kiryn

There hadn't been much of a response to the report, it seemed Helios was off doing something, and Morgan had dashed off to intercept the Wind Sage. The fairly empty main room did not leave much in the way of conversation, and Damian wasn't quite sure what to do next. He had accomplished all of his immediate goals on return, atleast that he could remember, and everything had gone fairly smoothly.

'Well, aside from that incident... I'll have to go see Tessa soon...'

Brushing that thought aside for a moment, Damian noticed the pair of eyes trained on him. Looking towards the source, it seemed a small boy was looking at him with curiousity.

Kneeling down to eye level, he spoke to the boy in a soft voice. "Is there something I can help you with, kiddo?"

Tobe yelped and stepped backward. "Er, nothin'-- I mean--" He began to talk very fast. "Lady over there said your name was Kleine, and people always said my dad's name were Kleine, then they said they knowed him here, so I went with 'em when the palace got took over, and then th' lady over there said you was him--" he paused for breath-- "ony you doesn't look nothin' like me so I prolly got the wrong person so I's sorry for bothering you I'll go now." He began to back away, panicking.

The young boy got jittery and nervous and began to ramble, his words rushed close to the point of near incomprehensibility. However, Damian picked up enough to understand the boy's sentiment.

And with that, the boy made his retreat, seemingly panicked. Damian stuck his hand out but stopped himself before calling out. The boy was clearly distressed, and a shout from him was not likely to do any sort of good.

'Although... those girls should all still be in the Halton military... if he was from the Septimian Palace, the chances of him actually being related to me are slim at best...'

"Right, right. If I'm going to get myself killed you can strike the first blow," Helios grumbled at Morgan's retreated form. Tessa finished up her treatment and hurried off after the Shaman, leaving him alone as Jasmine had previously departed as well. Rubbing his shoulder a little, he glared as his mount, and slowly, successfully, began leading it to the promised location of the West Gate.

~~~

"Sis, wait up just a sec!" Tessa called out to Morgan as they were returning to the inn. Without need for haste, and as perhaps in keeping with more proper city behavior, she was dismounted and leading Trevor, but since Kelas had relieved the shaman of her borrowed steed it was no great matter to catch up. "Ummm... When you'd been calling out about needing to depart to chase after Helios... I wasn't quite sure whether we were in such a rush that we wouldn't make it back to the inn, so I had grabbed the things you'd left behind in our room. I packed them into the saddlebags here before taking off after you. I... hope you don't mind too terribly."

Morgan

"Oh? That was quick thinking on your part I suppose, perhaps not necessary in this instance, but it is good practice to prepare for a hasty retreat. Hopefully the others will get themselves ready just as quickly. The demons have most certainly found where we are by now..." Morgan said to tessa, frowning.

Change of Plans

The departing group had only made it to the door when Prince Helios bolted out of the stables, briefly explaining that he'd be joining them and was trying to escape Morgan. Not even out of the city, and already problems with the Crimsons arose. Things were not going Derek's way, as usual. With a frown growing on his face, he led Dani over to the stables, where he then began to help her up onto Ann, when Jasmine flew in and said that the group would be going along with them. The paladin cursed under his breath. The whole intent of the departure had been to get away from the wielders, who had at this point killed soldiers out of two of the big three, and were likely outlaws at the moment. This was excluding the Church and the demons. Yes, a split would have been the best option, but now, it looked like he had no say in the matter. Derek forced his face to change to a neutral expression, and mounted up, resigned to departing as a group.

Separation Annulled

Derek had taken his time leading the Princess and his sister down the steps, and even before he arrived, there was drama in the group, as Prince Helios ran past Alex,taking his horse and hastily leaving the stables. Minutes later, Morgan entered, took a mount of her own, and rode out, with Kelas giving chase as well. Puzzled, the Septimian walked closer to the exit of the stables, only to overhear the conversation between the two Elyisiman pegasus knights. Helios was trying to leave, and Morgan was essentially trying to keep him with the group. Jasmine left for a few minutes as the superior officer struggled with her pegasus, who was infatuated with Bellerophon. Jasmine returned. The Crimsons were going with the Jerdonians. Well, that solved one problem, at least. Jace's daughter returned to the stables, to begin determining who she would have to ride with.

Tessa felt a little heartened by Morgan's words, but she still had quite a bit on her mind. "I'm sorry to say I must not have been doing a good job on collecting information lately. I had no idea that Helios was itching to leave, nor would I have ever suspected Ivanko showing up... I didn't even learn all that much about that new bard yesterday, although she seemed friendly and may be getting on well with the young Lord Bellemire. It seems that even Kelas was paying better attention, as when I was upstairs between packing and... other things..."

The troubadour tried a little while longer to keep secret the gift. A good time to gift it would be when returning the rest of the shaman's things, yes, but there was no reason it couldn't still be a surprise until that point... "She had mentioned something about that you 'might soon not be in the best of moods'. I don't exactly know how close she was to Helios but she also pretty shook up and depressed about people leaving... I thought that was mostly Isotov though..."

She let out a small sigh, there so much activity going on, and she couldn't steer any of it, or even predict it to help those who could. Maybe she could manage to pass on something important in her random observations.

Edited by Balcerzak

Jasmine's voice called out, informing everyone that they were about to leave. Alf and Reika both couldn't help feel relieved at the thought. Neither of them were sure if they could take the inn's cooking again.

"Hmmm....we should probably go to the front of the inn now. I'm all packed up so if you're ready Reika..."

"I'm ready," said Reika, exiting the room, Alf following. They headed towards the room to grab their things, neither saying a word to each other. When they entered the room, their entrance surprised Sadie, who immediately stopped playing her lyre.

"Ah! Um....what's going on?"

"Didn't you hear? We're about to leave," Alf informed her, grabbing his pack.

"Oh already? I'll be ready shortly. Just give me a bit of time..."

"....You sure you want to come with us? We're far from a safe group you know. You still have a full life ahead of you," said a puzzled Alf, looking at her quizzically.

"Well I don't have elsewhere to go. And if you're in a lot of danger, I'll be bound to get a bunch of song ideas," answered Sadie, Reika rolling her eyes behind her back.

Great, we're getting another madwoman with us. Although calling her a woman would be a stretch. Stupid spoony bards....

"Well some things have caught me by surprise as well. Our allies seem very keen on keeping secrets from the rest of the group, a very dangerous and stupid habit. I really have to wonder how some of them survived this long, with all of their seemingly suicidal urges," Morgan said, sighing.

Kelas thought I would be in a bad mood later...hmm. Does she know about some upcoming danger that I do not. I suppose I shall have to inquire about it at some point, Goddess forbid someone share information that could save our lives.

(** = PoV switch, yo)

With the business with the young boy taken care of, Damian had not even caught his name before he departed, although he supposed he could find that out easily enough, for one, the boy seemed to be acquainted with Jasmine.

As Tessa and Morgan returned, after retrieving Helios and swaying him from his attempted shenanigans, apparently by rerouting the entirety of their entourage to Jerdon.

It wasn't a bad idea by any means, and it kept what remained of the tattered group together... but the merits of such a thing weren't something that Damian could really go any further into at the moment.

'I need to make things right, first off.' He reminded himself, looking to Tessa, who now, seemingly with lack of anything else to do at the moment, was standing rather blankly.

"Hey Tessa, could I speak with you for a minute?" Damian asked, calling the Valkyrie over.

As Tessa had already packed up all of the things from her room, and Trevor was prepared to depart at a moment's notice, following the convincing―well less of "convincing" and more of just Morgan telling everyone―to change the destination to align with the exiled Jerdonians, there was little to do but wait while everyone else finished their packing. She'd got in a little more conversation with the shaman on their trip back to the inn, but now having arrived she quieted as she run out of useful things to say for the moment, so she avoided the type of unnecessary chatter the other seemed to dislike.

Damian calling her over was a bit of a surprise then, as she'd assumed he'd be busy getting his things together, before she realized how mistaken that had been. Of course he was already ready to go, he had only just arrived hadn't he? Berating herself inwardly a moment, she swiftly switched gears and wandered over, interested in hearing what the man had to say.

"Yeah? Sure Damian, I'm here. Did you know everything was going to play out the way it did this morning already... because wow, there was sure a whole lot of action already. Or was there something else?"

As Tessa made her way over, she asked about the events of the morning. It was not a fully unexpected question, considering he had arrived with Ixion, he was surprised it took this long for him to be asked directly about it.

"Well, I did know that Ixion and the Ivanko Mercenaries were planning to collect Irina, and that they were going to use Miranda so Irina would agree to go with them... as for the more recent developments, I probably know a lot less than you do about those." Damian replied, before shaking his head slightly.

"But more importantly, Tessa. I wanted to talk to you about earlier."

"Hmmm, I see," the young girl nodded as she took it in. She'd been upstairs for the actual Miranda revelations, so this too was news for her. Things were even deeper than she'd been led to suspect. However that wasn't the issue at hand, apparently.

Tilting her head, she looked up at him. "About earlier? Go on, I'm listening." It wasn't immediately clear what he meant by earlier, as there had been so much going on, and the issue with Victor, among others, had nearly driven her initial concerns about his well-being away. She was trying to recall what it might be though, and things were starting to ever so slowly come back to her.

It seemed in the drama of the day, Tessa had momentarily forgotten the admittedly relatively minor consequence of earlier, but that fact didn't cause it to weigh any less on the Lancer. Regardless if she had remembered, or if she blamed him, which he was fairly certain she didn't, he had still caused her pain, both physically, and the pain of worry for his own condition.

"When I arrived, and we met... I hurt you Tessa... you don't seem to have kept it fresh in your mind, so I suppose it wasn't all that big a deal... but I still can't just let it go." Damian said with an apologetic tone, bowing his head to Tessa, holding himself for a few seconds before standing straight again.

"I still am not sure why it happened... despite that memory... I should have had the will to prevent such a thing..."

'Although... Ixion is not exactly known for his subtlety... I can't rule out the possibility that he dug deeper than he claimed... who knows what sort of things he could have done...' Damian reminded himself, the thought momentarily lapsing his thoughts to Irina, who had been dragged off by that druid to Zaftra... she had Ivanko to defend her, but who knew just what Ixion might have done to even him?

Unconsciously glancing towards the general direction of Kalten, Damian tried, futile as it was, to try and envision Irina's current situation, though all it gave him was a blank and distant look in his eyes for a short while, and a mild headache. Moving his palm to his temple as he grit his teeth ever so slightly, Damian let out a hollow sigh, the heavy air leaving his lungs, allowing light air, saturated with oxygen to replace it.

'How long had I forgotten to keep breathing without even realizing it?'

"But I guess there's no way for me to know. Ixion is a strange one, the idea of his work is mind-boggling... fusing completely unrelated animals into a single, functioning being the world has not yet had hope of conceiving on it's own? If he didn't see something wrong with my head there's no way I could..." Damian spoke, his voice still somewhat hollow. catching himself as he began to ramble.

"Oh... sorry Tessa. I must be boring you with this talk..."

"Oh, that? I thought I'd told you that was no big deal earlier..." Tessa tried to dismiss his second apology, as he bowed his head to her, but he insisted, and continued to explain. His words were cryptic, at best, and the lancer almost seemed... haunted, which brought some bother back to the surface. He seemed like he was being genuine and forthcoming though, mentioning more details without prompting, and she was convinced if there were something else at the heart of the matter, that Damian simply wasn't conscious of it. His mentions of Ixion's... experiments was a little unnerving though...

"It's fine, please. You don't bore, and though you needn't have apologized again, I'm just relieved you're okay and back with us. You're probably just feeling a bit out of sorts because you've been away so long. After a little while more, getting back into the groove of the group, I think everyone will be feeling better about things," she reassured the man, not entirely confident in her words, but resolving to check into it later. She would have to confirm or deny this on her own, using her own powers. If all is truly well, then that is for the best, and he'd never have to know...

OOC: Wrapping things up. Will assume Viveka and Jasmine filled Conrad in on events while leaving the inn unless you want to continue to post here, Phoenix.

Heinz:

He nodded. "Wise choice, informing me," the mercenary said wryly. Personal penalty? Perhaps… I do what I think is necessary, no more and no less. The thief chose to accompany the monk on his ride, thereby missing most of the chaos that ensued nearby the inn. Keeping loose watch from a distance, Heinz rather enjoyed the excursion himself till it came to a sudden halt.

Oddly enough, the priest chose to ride with his abductor this time, as the group headed towards Jerdon.

Conrad:

The general sighed as his former subordinate predictably jumped in on the situation, with the intent of helping Morgan. As both demon and Helios departed in quick succession, he remained silent, only opening his mouth briefly. "A viable option," Conrad replied to the Haltonians.

Hearing a scream set off some sort of ruckus upstairs that sounded suspiciously similar to the Jerdonian princess, the Elyisiman general decided it would be best he mentioned the breaking of the links later. It seemed reasonable to assume the Toran prince would head back downstairs at some point; the possible disappearance of yet another Crimson Weapon would have to be dealt with before he checked up on his subordinates, should Helios attempt to escape. With luck, the two would remain undisturbed upstairs for the meantime.

Esphyr made a short comment of worth before the Jerdonians made to leave; now would be a good time to check up on his knights, he thought, as Morgan went up and rushed down the stairs. True to convention, his plans were scrapped as a number of people swarmed out the door, including the clearly conscious pegasus knights.

Conrad decided to collect his belongings in preparation for departure. They'll catch up with Helios soon I assume, he doesn't have enough of a headstart to escape without being caught. The general arrived downstairs. "So I take it we are leaving with the Jerdonians then?" he inquired of Jasmine, heading to the stables to saddle up Thunderbolt.

Departure of the Morning:

It was time to leave this town. The pack of wyverns around the inn notwithstanding, she had already dallied here far too long. She had to keep her young boy safe, safe from the turmoil to come since she had bound herself to fix mistakes of the past, safe from the dangerous animals belonging to the Crimson Weapons, and safe from the arrival of other unholy agents.

It would be an easy task to simply give up and hide in fear in some church's protection and live the life of a common healer- but Kaileen couldn't leave the innocent to suffer. "If, if only- I could keep you safe from all this, Henry," gently rousing the boy.

She smiled shakily. "Let's go, Junior," easing her child onto his feet as he blinked the sleep out of his eyes.

Edited by the_whistler

OOC: Eh, why not? :lol:

Jasmine

Seeing the General back, Jasmine immediately composed herself again. Conrad wasn't terribly strict about behavior, but old habits wouldn't yield even in a group like theirs, which was probably for the best. Jasmine felt strange standing up straight and saluting at the drop of a hat sometimes, but this was hardly a vacation, and she was still technically on duty, even if duty was currently just scouting when necessary.

Jasmine: Yes, sir. Helios wouldn't budge so Morgan's decided to have the entire group go with them to Jerdon for the time being ... though ...

She put he saluting hand down somewhat going into thought.

Jasmine: I'll shut up if I'm saying too much but ... it's kind of bothering me now that I think about it. If this had something more important to do with a crimson weapon wielder, I'd understand, but we're basically going on a side quest because Helios is stubborn. It's probably okay in this situation since we don't have anywhere else to go right now, but what if we had something important to do? What if we get a lead on defeating the Lord of Azure Flame and suddenly some other relevant person starts acting up over a group split? Is she going to cave then, too?

OOC: Had more to write but decided that might not be the best way to write it.

Conrad:

"Then the relevant party member would have to be subdued, by force if necessary," the general responded. "I doubt she would cave so easily if the circumstances were different, the one goal she places before everything is the defeat of the Lord of Azure Flame. I didn't expect her to compromise so easily with Helios, but it does fit with her overall goal. Morgan is more predictable than one might think," he remarked thoughtfully.

"Your concerns are understandable Sergeant, and questions like these may well help anticipate future situations. Speaking of which," lowering his voice. "Were you and Viveka by any chance knocked out some time after seeing Victor in the window? I meant to check up earlier but Helios decided to announce his leaving to Morgan then. It was… unfortunate bad timing, to say the least," a hint of a frown creeping into his expression. A pity they couldn't have compromised earlier.

Jasmine

She was thankful she hadn't been speaking as a fool to her commanding officer just then, but his follow up question demanded that she think back to that terribly awkward situation from earlier.

Jasmine: Yeah ... Viv kind of collapsed, and for some reason I fell asleep like that.

She snapped her fingers in time with the word 'that' as she explained.

Jasmine: Alferis showed up though, and so did Esphyr and Derek. When we came to, Viv snapped at him for not knocking first ... understandable though I'm also thankful we were found. There's no telling how long we might have been out for otherwise. After that, Reika did her occasional thing and then Morgan called us to help with Helios. But about the passing out thing. I still feel a bit light headed so I'm not going to over exert myself, but does that have anything to do with Ixion?

Conrad:

General Jackson nodded. "Yes. Ixion removed Viveka's link when she became upset and the bull wyvern tried to attack him. I requested he do the same thing for you and Ixion severed the bond. He mentioned you and Viveka would have problems absorbing the energy from the bonds, not being magic users, before they warped away," pausing to allow his subordinate to digest the information.

"There shouldn't be any long term side-effects except for tiredness, I assume. I apologize for not being present at the time, but it seems it was resolved well enough, all things considered. What did Reika do, if nothing else of interest occurred?" he questioned.

Jasmine

Jasmine: Well that explains it then. I'll be extra careful then for now. Now let's see ... if I remember it right, she was arguing with Charlotte and Derek about Danielle. I think she was trying to interrogate her and got caught in the act ...

She paused for a moment.

Jasmine: Speaking of which, Viv and I need to talk with you about something later. Too much chance of eavesdropping right now, and we need to confirm a few things with Morgan too, but it's kind of important.

Conrad:

"Alright, at another time then. You and Viveka should finish packing, if you haven't already done so," he advised, picking up his own items and heading out to the stables. Saddling up Thunderbolt and double checking nothing of importance had been left behind, the Elyisiman general departed from the inn.