Elincia's noobish sprite work

RNG Princess

The cliff set up

5161c845da1727201433647fa1feb721.png

See how they're all joined? I say break them up a bit.

And I just noticed the castle is only 6 tiles... It looks a bit squished, perhaps move the castle forward one tile and use all 9?

Ah I see what you mean ^^'

I'll make the castle bigger it does look weird lol

btw I wasn't using the same tree howcome they look spammed? Is it because I put too many?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trees look pretty spamed in the second map, and the shape of the groups of trees look unnatural as well. The walls seem random, and too straight, and It looks kinda empty to me. Definitely a step down from your other maps.

And the village map at the top of this page has cobblestone tile spam in horizontal lines.

Edited by deranger

The trees look pretty spamed in the second map, and the shape of the groups of trees look unnatural as well. The walls seem random, and too straight, and It looks kinda empty to me. Definitely a step down from your other maps.

And the village map at the top of this page has cobblestone tile spam in horizontal lines.

Those trees are giving me trouble I will fix it thank you for the advice (:

maybe I should add like a river or something

ftotaq.png

and new splices :^_^: I like the first 2 not so much the last 2. Do they match their class? Thief, Bow Knight, Priest, and Thief respectively. What can I do to make them look better?

The first guy is ok. His arms are a little bit pillowy. It looks confusing how some of hiw hair goes behind his back but then he has that pony-tail that comes over his shoulder. ALso, whats that to the right(opv) of the pony-tail? The shading where the hair touches the head also needs work.

The girl needs a lot of work done on her hair. Its really chunky and misshapen.

The priest...he has a really misshapen head and face. He has too many different skin colors on his face. He is missing outline on his left shoulder opv. Shading on his shirt is chunky. And his color is weirdly shaped.

The skin colors on the last thief's arms and face don't match. He needs better shading where his headband and hair meet his head/face. Theres not recolored shading where his scarf goes over his left shoulder. You're using different outline colors. Theres missed chin outline on the better bottom of his chin. His hair changes color in the back. White pixel at the top of his hair as well as missing outline pixel at the tip of hair.

What does pillowy mean? I should get working on those mugs lol I really dislike the priest, and the 2nd thief's colors aren't changed to FE8 colors but I still feel I need to fix his face.

Also @ Joerachi what about a labyrinth? Does it look better?

2iqnvyt.png

Yaaaay, less empty! Tbh, throw some forts on the bottom right, and it's good in terms of empty space.

However, right here:

Critique.png

Is making physics angry. The stairs lead up one floor, and a wall is there, making it a room. However, the wall is only 1 tile high, essentially, the wall is floating. Add the correct tile under it, and the Physics Police won't hunt you down :D

No, I mean ALL of the walls in the post (Cept' the pillar). Also, the set of walls at the Top-Left corner suffer from this too.

EDIT: Never answered your question about 'Pillowy'

http://www.spriters-resource.com/community/showthread.php?tid=13868

Find pillowshading and banding.

Though I'm not Elincia, I found that link to be super-useful. Can you put that somewhere in the spriter's resource? I still can't see my own pillow shading, and I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of it.

I'd love to comment on the maps, but I suck at making them.

What does pillowy mean? I should get working on those mugs lol I really dislike the priest, and the 2nd thief's colors aren't changed to FE8 colors but I still feel I need to fix his face.

Pillow is where something is shaded kind if evenly around all the edges instead of shading how the shadows would actually created by the light. colorpillow.png Just got that from google images. The left is pillow shading, and the right is correct shading.

But in the arm where that is its not near that bad.

I should read what other people post better.

Edited by Strawman the SawmanShaman

Though I'm not Elincia, I found that link to be super-useful. Can you put that somewhere in the spriter's resource? I still can't see my own pillow shading, and I'm pretty sure I'm guilty of it.

It is in the Spriter's resource under "Links of potential interest" or something like that.

First one looks almost exactly like chapter 17 of FE7, just with FE8's palette, and without the shops. I'm not the expert on boat maps, sorry.

Second map some of the paths look odd(mainly the lower right area. The water also looks kinda strangely shaded. Other than those two, I think the map looks good, just aesthetic things I see, like the island on the top left looks strange and the village looks odd without having any way to access the main land.

7ddfda6c340a6ca17a2cc925076ead87.png

Red: The planks have an incorrect outline due to the tileset. Look at the boat maps from Ephraim's route to find out which tileset you should be using.

Yellow: The water running behind the boats is cut off. Use the tiles with light blue water in the corner to round it out. You can fix the spam by adding dark patches of water.

Everything else, listen to Hero's advice though I think you've got a lot of potential. If you like making maps you should enter the mapping comp

7ddfda6c340a6ca17a2cc925076ead87.png

I think you've got a lot of potential. If you like making maps you should enter the mapping comp

Thank you that was really nice :):, but I don't think I should enter mapping competitions ^^' I'm not good enough lol I base of my maps on existing ones.