Abysmal Souls Chapter 1: Soul Eater

Kanami

Drowning her sorrows sounded like a good idea at the time to Carrion, but it caught up to her pretty quickly. "Dammit, why aren't you making me HAPPY?!" she slurred out as she slammed the empty class down, her head hitting the table with her other arm wrapped around it. She groaned for a bit, the alcohol not agreeing with her and messing with her mind at this point. Her face was almost flushed red, but she still retained some coherence as she tried to get up, almost falling off of her chair before catching herself. A few men, hoping to get lucky most likely, offered to help her, but she shooed them away, threatening, in very poor wording, to burn them to a crisp. She was able to walk out and make her way back to the inn just fine, but she had to puke and just barely grabbed a bag in time. She stumbled her way to the closest room, only to find Adrian in it, his face in a pillow.

"Why're you followin meee...?" She asked him drunkenly, leaning on the door frame for balance, still having to readjust her feet every so often.

Meanwhile, Grant was recuperating, his wound cleaned out and healed eventually. They kept him there overnight in case of complications. Grant couldn't complain about it, tho. Free room and board was always welcome.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurelio - Somewhere near the edge of town (how convenient)

It had been a good few hours, but Aurelio had almost reached his destination. By then, the sun had been long set, only the rowdiest of drunkards were still in the bar. Most of the town was fairly quiet, nobody would have known that a convoy had come through. Opening up his wallet, finding it to be virtually empty, he starting hoping that it wouldn't rain. For the last few months, Aurelio had been camping out, a cheap tent being the only thing that protected him from the elements. However, it hadn't been holding out well recently. Water often pooled at his feet, which wasn't nice at the best of times.

There was also the matter of his horse, Halberd - for a lack of a better name. He had been Aurelio's companion for the last 6 months, as well as a major money vacuum. Keeping them both dry and warm was generally difficult, Aurelio often "took turns" with him when choosing a place to set up camp.

"We'll stay right next to the inn. Teaches them for charging so much."

And he meant it. It took a matter of minutes before he was ready to call it a day. The owner of the inn would probably have something to say in the morning, Aurelio also had a few choice words for him.

"Halberd, make sure you headbutt anyone who touches this tent."

Ormis flopped onto the bed.

"Ugh..."

He thought he might sleep some more, but then realized he was thirsty and hungry. So he decided to go down to the tavern and make some excuse as to why he shouldn't be thrown out on the spot. Getting out of bed, he realized how tired he really was, and fell back onto the bed, face up.

I could sleep for months...

And he rolled over and fell asleep, forgetting that he still needed to get a new sword.

"Why're you followin meee...?"

"Uuuuuuuuugh" Adrian recognized the voice at the door instantly, and could only groan again. And by the tone of her voice, she's drunk. This is just what I need. At least I'll get somethin' to look at... yeah, it's not worth it. He mused within his head before rolling over, and sitting up. "I'm not following you, alright? I'm tired, and I found this room first. If it's your room, I'll leave, 'K?" He laid back down on the bed, rolling over in it. If she was as drunk as she sounded, she's probably fall into the bed next to his, or hit the floor. "I guess if she falls, I'll help her. I can't be that uncaring" he mumbled to himself as he tried to get comfortable on the bed. Maybe she'll just walk out, and I won't have to deal with her at all...

Edited by seph1212

"Whachu say t'me, dick?" She slurred out like she wasn't even trying to speak clearly. "You you're like... you're like the biggest asshole in the world right now. And I could KILL you witha snap of m' finnnggggerrrrs..." she stumbled her way over to him, ready to grab him by the clothes, but her stomach had other ideas. She instead vomited again, right by Adrian. She doubled over then fell to her knees and... vomited again... Her stomach felt like it was on fire at this point, the alcohol binge she just had being her greatest regret since showing any compassion to the kid next to her. She grunted in pain, falling onto her face, but unable to move herself much, the pain too great. All she could do was clutch her stomach and groan.

Mhmm, get it out of your system, just keep on ranting... He was practically ignoring her at this point, until he heard the one thing he hadn't wanted to hear at all, this night, and the annoying repetition of this thing. He slowly rolled over to see the witch face first in her own bile, clutching her stomach. "Seriously...?" he sat up, and stretched, getting ready to move the girl onto the bed. "You really are a pain, y'know that?" he said as he moved her onto the bed, surprised by how lite she was. He figured she'd weigh more than she looked, but he wasn't going to worry about that. "Ugh, you made a real mess, here..." His shoes were now covered in her bile; his night becoming even worse. "Listen, just... Riya, lay down here while I get a mop, or something, to clean this up, alright? Uhhh..." his eyes scanned the room, searching for something she could use to throw up into, spotting a small bucket near the door. It was probably used for garbage, but it'd be better than nothing. "Alright, just use this if you need to barf again, I'll be back." I feel like I'm doting on a small girl, gah. Maybe I should just let her lay here all night, and I can find another room to sleep in...? Agh, I'm not that mean. With that final thought, he set the bucket next to the bed, and left the room to find a mop, or maybe an employee who could clean up the mess for him.

Edited by seph1212

Well, having been dropped off at an inn with a bar, Susan did the obvious thing. She went and ordered a drink or two. She didn’t normally drink, but she also didn’t usually almost die, find out her teammates were zombies, or get sent as live bait against a foreign country. She just wanted to get a little tipsy and forget about it for the night. She had her few drinks and just enough sense to turn down all the bar patrons by the time she tried to find her room. She did not have balance or alertness. She crashed right into Adrian as he left his room. “Hey, watch where you’re going, you…”

OoC: roymbrog apologizes for her crap post

Adrian grabbed the door frame to catch himself from falling, almost about to scream at whoever he had bumped into. "Listen, you...!" And then he noticed it was Susan he had run into. He was surprised to see that she seemed inebriated. Are all the girls I run into going to be drunk tonight? "...Sorry about that, Susan. You alright?" He draped her arm around his shoulder to help her balance, not wanting more people falling over and blowing chunks. He helped her back into the room he'd just came out of, setting her down on the other bed. "I've just gotta go and find a mop for Carrion over here, alright? I'll see if I can find something for you, as well; maybe just a big glass of water..." He gave Susan a little smile, an endearing pat on the head, and walked out of the room once again. The hallway made for a great place to sigh, as he slouched while walking. I'm too nice, I'm too nice, I'm too nice...

“I-I’m fine, don’t touch me,” Susan said. Yet despite her protest and incessant grumbling, she allowed Adrian to help her back into the room. In spite of her current slightly inebriated state, it didn’t take her long to realize there were several spots of vomit on the floor and Carrion was sprawled out on the other bed. Great, a room that smelt like puke.

She did not want to stay there, and was irked at the way Adrian was treating her. She was older than him, dammit, she could get to her own room without help. First things first, though, she decided to help a little here. Vomit was liquid, after all, or at least most of it was. With her tome in one hand and the other holding her nose, she tried to move the bile to the bucket beside the bed. She was mostly successful, leaving only a little left on the floor for Adrian to clean. Afterward she made her way to the door using the wall for balance, and continued like that down the hall trying to find her own room.

Adrian made his way into the bar, seemingly empty now. Either this tavern wasn't that active, or it was later than he thought it was. He sat at the bar, and shoved his face into his arms, in a slump. "Too much to deal with right now..." he said to himself, the barman being the only person in hearing distance. "Got a problem on yer hands, bud?" The barman asked, cleaning out a glass. "Nah, just... d'you got a mop?" "Ahhh, someone's made a mess fer ya. I'll get one from th'back room, jus' a sec." Adrian was tempted to steal a drink from behind the bar, but he figured it'd be easier to just lay his head on his arms and mope for a few moments. "Okay, it's not THAT bad, and you'll get to have a full nights sleep in a little bit. Just... calm down..." taking a deep breath, he sat back up in the chair, figuring he shouldn't be upset about it forever. That wouldn't accomplish anything.

The barman came back out with a mop, giving Adrian a smirk. "If y'need a drink, jus' come back down, kid. We all have these kinda days." He nodded, thinking pretty hard on if he should take that drink. It was tempting, but he really wanted to sleep. He just shook his head and took the mop back upstairs with him.

Edited by seph1212

The caravan arrived in town quicker than Lucretia had expected. It was only a few days since leaving Leticia and she was already in Sapphire. She thanked the caravan and left them in high hopes that she could start anew here, at least until her mother came. She decided to forget her mother for the night and headed toward the bar. It was fairly empty with few patrons, but she figured it was still open and she could have a drink or two. She sat at the counter and awaited the barkeep.

"What'll it be, missy?" He asked in a curious tone. Lucretia could hear a bit of a slur in his words.

"Just...anything strong. Long journey." She said. "Here, anything two silver coins gets me." She placed two shining coins on the table and awaited her drink. The barkeep arrived a moment later with a small glass of clear liquid.

"One of th' strongest things 've got." He said, sliding it down to her. She took the glass in one hand and smelled it. It certainly smelled of liquor. Vodka, Rum, and...Whiskey?!

Possibly...as long as it hits me hard. She took a tentative sip. There was a strong taste that hit her immediately. It burned her throat and eshophagus as it entered her stomach. Her chest definitely felt that one. "Barkeep, can I have a glass of water with that?" She handed him another coin.

"Keep't." He said as he slid her a glass of water. "It's strong stuff, 'll need't."

"Thanks." She replied as she took another sip. The burn was almost cleansing in a way for her. She was cleansing herself of her curse.

Ormis woke up with a stomach-ache.

"Da-dammit..."

He sat up, then began tottering down towards the bar. On the way there, he began fingering his pockets and was dismayed to see that he didn't have enough to get an actual meal, just a few drinks.

Oh well, a tankard of ale is good enough for now.

Stumbling in, he took a seat at the counter, not noticing Adrian walking past him with a mop.

"Just gimme something cheap. I don't have a whole lotta cash on me."

Ormis leaned back, catching the glass of... something as it slid almost past him. He downed it in one gulp.

"Argh... that shit's strong..."

Then he collapsed backwards. The barkeeper glanced over and frowned.

"What the-...? I could've sworn that was milk."

Though in pain, and feeling like absolute shit, she could hear what was said and see the other bed. Why the hell is he bringing Susan in here... What, is he hoping to score? This kid is an amateur, for sure. What a dumbass... Oh the blackmail, this is good. "... Hrrgh..." She vomited one last time, aiming it in the bucket. She laid back down on her back, staring at the ceiling. Maybe... I should try and be nice to him. It's certainly better than the alternative of living with an asshole that wants me dead constantly. She thought. With what Faye had gone and said, he was undoubtedly gonna have questions, and he'd most likely keep pestering her for an answer until she finally caved... "Faye..." she said absentmindedly, not wanting to even begin to think about her at the moment.

Adrian passed Ormis on the way upstairs, the poor kid looking almost dead. He should be sleeping, not going down to the bar. Especially at his age. Susan was gone when he entered the room, though, he wasn't surprised. Thinking back, she didn't seem like she was in the best of moods when he pulled her in. I probably shouldn't have done that... Ahhh, dammit. At least most of the bile seemed to have magically moved from the floor into the bucket. "Thanks, Susan." He smiled, wiping up the small spot that remained, setting the mop in the corner, after. Carrion whispered Faye's name, making Adrian glance over at her. "You alright, now?" He asked, sitting back down on the other bed, laying down and staring up at the ceiling, himself. "I don't see why you thought it would be a good idea to get as drunk as you got, Riya." He had begun to absently call her Riya, without noticing. "I mean... I know what Faye said was pretty harsh, but..." Oh, shit, maybe I shouldn't have said that.

A few minutes later, the passed-out teenager lying in the bar woke up with a massive headache. His stomach growled even more, but he didn't want to risk actually drinking alcohol (the taste in his mouth told him that he had gotten drunk off of milk). Ormis had always been embarrassed by his inability to drink, as he got drunk on anything remotely more alcoholic than water, but this was ridiculous. He picked himself off the floor, paid his bill (his pockets had roughly 3 copper coins left) and headed back to the inn where he found himself wandering towards a vomit-scented room.

Ormis took one look inside, saw Adrian lying on a bed next to Scarlet, and ducked out faster than he went in.

Agh... I need sleep.

He stumbled back to his room and crawled into bed.

I need something to eat, too, but I'm broke... Damn...

Ormis had a niggling doubt in the back of his mind, something about getting a weapon, but he ignored it. Probably a result of delirium caused by lack of food.

Edited by Camtech075

She frowned at the ceiling, her gut reaction to slap the kid, but a combination of pain and laziness said otherwise. " 'But' what? Go on, finish that train of thought, I'm listening. May as well get this the fuck over with..." Of course the first thing he'd do is mention the one thing I didn't want to think about. Thank you, probability. Thank you. she raged on the inside since her body didn't want to rage.

"...But she really cares about you, y'know?" Oh man, look at me, trying to get her to 'care'. Like she fucking knows the concept. The bitterness and anger in her drunken words were starting to piss Adrian off, and rather than get into some ridiculously heated (no pun intended) argument with her, he just groaned once more and rolled over on the bed. "Just... go to sleep. I don't have the patience for this." mumbling the last part, he pulled the bed's blanket over himself, and shut his eyes, trying to force himself to sleep. Although, as he was anticipating some sort of roaring berate from the demon laying one bed over, he wasn't planning on sleeping any time soon.

"I know she cares. You know who else cared? My brother, and now he's dead and now I'm feeling stupid for even talking about this" She said kinda fast, fighting back tears from the sound of her voice. "And now... Now I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. I have nowhere to go, nowhere to call home. Do you know what it's like to be hunted? Feared? All the perks do nothing to make me feel good... Oh god, just..." What the HELL just happened? Shut the fuck up, just SHUT UP dumbass! She berated herself as she curled up, a few tears falling onto the pillow she was on.

And now I've made her cry. Stop making me feel sorry for you, dammit! You're supposed to be an evil bitch, you're supposed to kill people, you're supposed to be terrifying, but... "...you're just a normal girl with problems." He sat up, leaning back against the headrest on the bed, pulling his legs up from under the blanket. "I... don't know what happened to your brother, but I can hazard a guess... and, I'm sorry." What else am I going to say? Maybe I shouldn't say anything at all. But he kept talking. "I've... been treating you like some kind of horrid creature; been afraid of you since I ran into you, but... you're just a normal person. No, I can't imagine what it's like to be hunted, or feared. I'd rather not find out. And I don't... know what I can do to help, if I can help at all. If you even want my help..." He sighed, thinking over his words for a moment. "But... I'm sorry. I don't know what that's worth, but, I am."

((was irked by that last line, changed it, derpderp.))

And suddenly, Adrian devoured his entire bed in one gulp, smiling as the distinctive taste of nature slid down his bowels

Edited by seph1212

"I'm normal?" She said sniffling. "After everything that's happened, you think I'm normal...? Just stop it, I don't want to hear it. And just so you know, you and I are leaving tomorrow, I don't trust those guys who came for us. So go to... sleep... zzz" She fell asleep, completely exhausted from talking to Adrian, her mind seemingly overheating.

Lucretia watched as the boy who purchased milk drank it, fell over, passed out, got up, and stumbled out of the bar.

"What was that?" She asked the air, knowing she wouldn't get a reply. Turning her attention to the barkeep as she finished her drink, she said, "How much is a room for the night?"

"'bout three bronze coins." He said. She slid him the payment and he replied with a key. She downed the glass of water and left another bronze coin as a tip. She climbed the stairs, stumbling a bit, but making it up safely.

"Stronger than I thought," she said to herself as she walked down the hall looking for her room, "23, perfect." She unlocked the door and opened it. It was small but homely. "Only a night, then I can figure out what to do from there." She put Samadhi and Adyta down next to her bed and set down her money bag. It was still about half full of silver and bronze coins, with a few gold coins. As she readied for bed, she wondered about her next move.

Do I stay here for a while or keep going? Who knows where my mother is right now anyway.

"Hah... didn't think you'd believe... me? And, she's already asleep." An aggravated sigh would be the last thing Adrian would say, that night, as he just started thinking to himself. Going to have to leave everyone behind, eh? Probably can't steal the book away, again. She'd hunt me down, and kill me for sure. Instead of sigh again, and risk waking up sleeping beauty, he closed his eyes and smacked his head against the headrest, lightly. Might as well get some sleep, then... He slid back under the covers, and closed his eyes, waiting for his mind to fall asleep. Riya would be a wonder to deal with, in the morning. Hah, it'll be fun to see how well she deals with a hangover...

Edited by seph1212

Aurelio - Actually quite far away from everybody else

It had begun to rain, Aurelio groaned. It was just what he needed. Whilst far less hostile than the seasons of Sapphire, Astarte could still spit out some unpleasant weather.

"You're not going to hold, are you, you stupid piece of junk!"

Almost in response, water started to pool at the end of the tent. Aurelio scrambled out of the tent, just in time to see it become a rather flimsy trough. Grabbing hold of Halberd's reins, he dashed to a nearby barn - it wasn't breaking and entering if it had been left open. Piles of straw, neatly stacked in square bales, took up much of the building. With a little cunning, he could conceal his steed and climb high enough to be out of view. His scheme only took a couple of minutes, by then he was reasonably comfortable and Halberd had been snugly tucked away.

Laying his axe beside him, he looked up at the roof for a couple of minutes before falling asleep. Before drifting off, he thought to himself, smiling;

"Hehe... I was almost a farmboy..."