2. 2. 2D or (polygon) 3D?

• 2D
    • 3D
    • No preference

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had expected FE12 to be localized by Christmas, based on FE11's release schedule, but it didn't happen. It could probably be chalked up to Nintendo's focus on the 3DS at that point.

That being said, I wouldn't give up on it. New Mystery has sold 270,000 in Japan, roughly even with Shadow Dragon. Shadow Dragon sold 250,000 in the Americas, so that's a worldwide total of 520,000 just for SD. Not bad. However, I do believe that Nintendo dropped the ball with FE11 and FE12, as new players are not likely to want to play an archaic remake of a twenty year old game. SD was my first FE, but the more I got into the later FEs, the more I disliked SD.

Anyway, I'd really love a new 3DS FE with graphics reminiscent of FE9/10. The maps could resemble FE11/FE12s, but the battle animations could be in 3D.

FE12 has Casual Mode and you create your own character. I think that's to attract new players.

Yeah, but Monshou no Nazo is the most popular FE in Japan, so I'm sure that Nintendo thought it would sell just based on nostalgia alone. I'm saying that even though FE11/12 contain variable difficulties, the gameplay is so archaic that it might not appeal to new players, unless it was their first FE.

Do people really think they're going to stop making games because it's not as popular as Mario?

That's what pretty much every entertainment maker is aspiring to.

Especially Nintendo is about spreading to as a wide of an audience as possible.

I do believe that Nintendo dropped the ball with FE11 and FE12, as new players are not likely to want to play an archaic remake of a twenty year old game.

Which is why new and old players alike are still buying the original Final Fantasy in droves no matter where it's coming out.

If a game is good, then it is good no matter the platform and people will buy it over and over again.

On topic, I like how there is a "2d or 3d" option included as if they had a choice.

That's like asking in the 90s if someone is going to make an 8-bit game for the SNES. Not gonna happen.

Edited by Ike-Mike

That's what pretty much every entertainment maker is aspiring to.

Especially Nintendo is about spreading to as a wide of an audience as possible.

That may be true, but they're not going to stop making games because their aspiration doesn't become reality, which I believe is the most important point.

Which is why new and old players alike are still buying the original Final Fantasy in droves no matter where it's coming out.

If a game is good, then it is good no matter the platform and people will buy it over and over again.

On topic, I like how there is a "2d or 3d" option included as if they had a choice.

That's like asking in the 90s if someone is going to make an 8-bit game for the SNES. Not gonna happen.

I'm not so sure about this. I understand that a lot of 3DS titles are, naturally, in 3D, but 2D or 3D is still a stylistic choice. Nintendo themselves have mentioned that they're working on a 2D Mario, while a new 2D game from Vanillaware is also apparently in the works. Of course, I'll admit that I have no clue whether they're using polygons or sprites.

EDIT

A bit more on topic (I was telling myself not to veer off), I'm actually a little bit surprised that a considerable proportion (50%) of people have picked 3D for their option.

I was thinking most people were a fan of the GBA style or perhaps the SNES style of games. Have the times changed so much and there are more FE9/10 fans around or did FE11's 2D style scare people off?

Edited by VincentASM

Personally, I loved FE10's style, but I'm not sure how feasible it is to emulate that on a handheld. I think I voted no preference though, I don't remember.

Developers got Street Fighter IV and Metal Gear Solid 3 running great on the 3DS. I think anything like FE10 (or better) should be fine ^^

This reminds me of a previous year's April Fools where we had a fake FE10-esque game on the 3DS.

Edited by VincentASM

Developers got Street Fighter IV and Metal Gear Solid 3 running great on the 3DS. I think anything like FE10 (or better) should be fine ^^

This reminds me of a previous year's April Fools where we had a fake FE10-esque game on the 3DS.

Wasn't Den of Seven for the DS?

Or am I thinking of something else?

I think it's because that it makes sense that if an FE is going to be released for the 3DS, it might as well be in 3D. (Well, it makes sense to me anyways.) I'm all for SNES/GBA-esque sprites. But I just simply don't think it would be practical for the 3DS.

With that said, should I.S. decide to make a new FE, I would definitely like to see it, at the very least, on par with the type of quality FEs 4, 7, and 9 have, (Rich story, character development, etc.), if not more (like a bit of FE5's gameplay thrown into the mix as well). If a remake's gonna happen, I'd prefer it to be either an FE2 remake, an FE4 remake, or an FE5 remake.

Edited by LittleAl

Nintendo themselves have mentioned that they're working on a 2D Mario, while a new 2D game from Vanillaware is also apparently in the works. Of course, I'll admit that I have no clue whether they're using polygons or sprites.

Miyamoto already said that the next 2d Mario is going to "extensively use the 3d display", which strongly implies that there will be a lot of stuff going on from all angles which can be best achieved with polygons.

Also keep in mind that the New Super Mario Bros. series is mostly polygonal.

The thing is that sprites on a 3d screen look like paper cut-outs, which while for Paper Mario it might look good, it'd look ridiculous for every other sprite-based game.

I was thinking most people were a fan of the GBA style or perhaps the SNES style of games. Have the times changed so much and there are more FE9/10 fans around or did FE11's 2D style scare people off?

I'd say it's more of the latter.

Edited by Ike-Mike

I don't discount the idea that it could still be translated to English, but as the time passes, the less likely it becomes. Oh well, I'm just gonna hope the negativity is unfounded and that the fans cries are loud enough.

In any case, I wasn't insinuating that FE as a series was going to end. I was just going to assume that sales were too low in the west so that they'll lock their sales back to Japan. But it'd be very strange, considering they have thus far had enough success to publish four games in the U.S.

And also since their sales in the west are almost as high as in Japan. They'd basically be abandoning half their customers.

I'm actually a little bit surprised that a considerable proportion (50%) of people have picked 3D for their option.

My reason is to pick 3D over 2D is very simple. Intelligent Systems showed that they were actually improving as they went from FE9 to FE10. You get no such feeling from seeing FE6-8 and FE11-12. You can see they got better at doing shaders. The game was ugly and bare-bones on GC, but sported bloom lighting, environment map bump mapping, more detailed maps, better animation, more animation, etc. It was almost as big as jumping from FE3 to FE4. I mean, I never thought I'd see realistic looking water like that in Fire Emblem because I had very low hopes for the graphics in RD.

Edited by Super Mecha Death Christ

That water--I loved it when I first booted up FE9.

I loved the jump to 3D, because nothing suffered. It was the same great Fire Emblem, especially that distinct style of FE4/FE5, only in a new dimension.

I liked the DS remakes style. I'm not picky about style. I like seeing things in different ways, and that's all. That's part of the reason the GBA portion of the series feels like such bore to me--nothing really changes. At least FE8 with it separate development team had a good bit of vibrancy added in its style.

Well, I was scared off some by FEDS's awful graphics, and I liked the 3D. Not more or less than the SNES or GBA styles, but the most recent 2D was pretty awful. Plus I'd love to see a Fire Emblem world in real 3D. Especially the magic. As much as I'm not usually one to care about graphics, I'm pretty certain that I'll enjoy the gameplay of the eventual 3DS Fire Emblem so I'd love to see a world with literal depth. The world map and battle maps having real depth, maybe even the ability to look around in battles.