Nyarly's Sprite Temple

Loki Laufeyson

...or some such. I didnt feel like dragging up my old sprite thread so i decided to make a new one. Arr. Many of you already know that im more of a splicer. I can do bits of custom but not quite on the same level as many here. (understatement) :B

Here are some of the latest ones ive done.

egcsax.gif

(currently mein avatar.) Shes a vampire. Hence the odd skin tone.

2urmud1.gif

One i just made. Sort of..Sailor Moon esque splice. (not quite sure about her hair color. that maybe subject to change)

Ahh. My entry for the Ultimate spriting contest. I wonder if anyone will vote for it.

wrlw2d.png

Lovecraft. In sprite form.

Some older ones:

1o7xfk.gif

(tis Trent Reznor)

e0ork5.gif

Kid from Chrono Cross (that one was in my old thread)

2mh7zph.gif

Amaterasu in Human Form.

102kuad.gif

Ammy battle sprite.

6tnvj4.gif

Secret Of Mana trio.

2mh7zph.gif

Amaterasu in Human Form.

102kuad.gif

Ammy battle sprite.

I WILL Beat you to making a wolf form portrait.

Anywho.

...or some such. I didnt feel like dragging up my old sprite thread so i decided to make a new one. Arr. Many of you already know that im more of a splicer. I can do bits of custom but not quite on the same level as many here. (understatement) :B

Here are some of the latest ones ive done.

egcsax.gif

I like the splice and don't see a whole lot of issues.

2urmud1.gif

One i just made. Sort of..Sailor Moon esque splice. (not quite sure about her hair color. that maybe subject to change)

The jaw curves inwards and makes it kind of look like a man wearing a wig. Bring the hair over the left a bit as well, because the head is too big.

Ahh. My entry for the Ultimate spriting contest. I wonder if anyone will vote for it.

wrlw2d.png

His ear is starting on his neck. Needless to say, ouch. It just looks wrong, but I can't really point out why. Also, on the left(OPV) Collar, there is too much of the 3rd tone, making it look bloby.

2mh7zph.gif

Amaterasu in Human Form.

102kuad.gif

Ammy battle sprite.

I hate you :C

The border color is contrasting WAY to much with her hair. I'd replace the border color with the 3rd tone on the hair going down her body.

Edited by Joerachi

egcsax.gif

Maklo approves of vampires. and is going to steal that skin tone.

wrlw2d.png

His head is very short as is. Heads are typically 48-55 pixels tall whereas his is only 43 pixels starting from the bottom of his chin. He would probably be a bit closer to 48 as his hairstyle would be quite short. Other than that and what Joe pointed out, I like it.

e0ork5.gif

Kid from Chrono Cross (that one was in my old thread)

There's a bit of pillow-shading on the shirt and the shading on her left arm is a bit weird. There also needs to be shading where here neck and the clothing meet (on her neck).

2mh7zph.gif

Amaterasu in Human Form.

Needs shading under her jaw. The lines under her eyes need anti aliasing. You might want to darken the third shade a bit. There also needs to be shading where her hair hits her clothing. I like the sprite though. Unfortunately for me I never got to play okami.sad.gif

6tnvj4.gif

Secret Of Mana trio.

O_O Coulda sworn Randi and the middle girl had different hair colors. Might want to split these ones up, though. You don't have to, but it would be easier to look at them. Though, I don't see anything wrong with them except with the pink haired guy/girl's (I don't remember) hair. Too lazy to explain right now though.

Nice stuff so far, keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. I may fix them when i get a chance. Ill probably tinker with Lovecraft again before the contest deadline. Human Ammy will probably get tinkered with too. Also Maklo, the vampire skin tone i used is just the morph skin tone from FE7. :B Also SoM trio: Nah, Randi and Purim have brown and blond hair respectively. I was actually using an official art image as a reference. Also whats up with Sprite's hair? I MUST KNOW! I think i do spot a problem with the shading in it though.

Edited by Nyarlathotep

I figured that was the morph's skin color, but I was too lazy to checklaugh.gif

Fair enough for CronoandMarle Randi and Purim. It's just that I remember Randi's hair being brighter colored ingame. No big deal, though.

Spoiler for size

SpriteExample.png

Yellow: This pixel looks a bit strange. It should be the darkest shade.

Green: This part is a bit too straight. Smooth out the line a little.

Red: This part wasn't recolored. There also needs to be shading here where the hair touches the skin.

Two purple boxes: This is just me nitpicking, but these pixels should be a shade lighter.

Light blue: This part is a little bland. It needs to look like it has more seperate strands of hair. Not to sure how to word this, so if its unclear I can elaborate a bit.

Dark Grey (At the top): This part is actually a problem with the original Fa mug, and it has always bugged me. Basically there's a lack of an outline there. You don't really have to fix it, but I always check for pixels that aren't the outline color that are touching the background.

Really, that's mostly me just nitpicking; they're all pretty small issues except for the part inside the light blue.

Hope that helps.

Red: This part wasn't recolored. There also needs to be shading here where the hair touches the skin.

Oh bloody hell. Oops. Definitely didnt notice that. Light blue part, yeah, i figured thats mostly what you meant. :)

• 1 month later...

Well some of you may or may not remember in my old sprite topic, the battle sprites i did for Legend of Dragoon characters. I did their Dragoon forms. Well heres some of them with their human sprites i made today! (if any of you lot got some advice about Meru's hammer, id love to hear it!)

2ntzskz.png

I actually do have a Lloyd sprite.

Heres the whole team (sans Lavitz) i made like ages ago. (wow almost two years ago!)

lodsprites.png

Divine Dragoon Dart? Holy crap. That would be like the biggest battle sprite undertaking i could do. I might just try it. (Still have to do Kongol's normal form.)

• 4 months later...

ZOMG MY SPRITE TOPIC LIVES! Sorta.

Anyway i was messing around and i did some uber splicing.

4fx553.png

Hooray for Midna!

There may be some problems with her cloak (like the back end of it.) as i was like really having trouble with it. Theres..probably other things wrong too. Rip it apart!

Heres one i did a little while back.

33cx6ht.png

Its Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth. Critique him please!

(If a modly type can change the thread title to Florina's Sprite Temple that would be lovely.)

4fx553.png

*sees Midna*

O-O

*asplodes*

OSIUERGHLSDHPSIOERJFLAKERHAWINELGZKUUVRNLGSKIHGFRNV

*looks at the words she managed to type up in that* Oh hey, lake, wine...

Besides the fact that I think her skin could be more silver, I love it!!

33cx6ht.png

*sees his hair*

O-O

*dies again*

That's some pretty awesome hair XDDD

So, here's what I'm seeing...

99uuww6sqm0zbfrfhr1i.png

Yellow: This part it seems as if those two strands of hair seem to run into each other and then after that... idk what XD I would try making it look like one of those is coming over and in front of the other.

Blue: The shading here kinda confuses me. It might just be by the darker part's shape though XD

Green: The shading on the edge of his neck looks too repetitive imo

For the red, I think maybe make that pixel a bit darker since it'd be shaded by the hair. I guess it sorta stands out when zoomed out although I think for many that'd be pretty hard to notice since it's one little itty bitty teeny weeny dot.

Aaaannnnnnnnnnnnd besides that I'm not seeing anything else, really...

Aww thanks! You overrate Mikael's hair. Im ass at doing curls. Ill be honest, its really just Florina's hair and a bit of Limstella mushed together. It shows. :B Totes see what you mean about the blue circle! Eekk. <3

As for Midna's skin color, i was using strictly FE6/7 colors and i couldnt find a suitable blueish/silver color for her skin so i used the Morph tone. (I was looking at Ishmaire and was all: "Midna can happen there!!" I tried an attempt at a custom Midna once...never got finished because it was awful!)

Lol

Oh it was more like me saying "ahhhhh that style is awesome" rather than "woah I have no idea how you came up with that" XD Although I also didn't know how you came up with it. I'm just saying any guy should be jealous and want that hairstyle

And yeah that she does seem to scream Midna =o

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Nobody loves my sprite topic. D:

Anyway, i was looking at an old sprite of mine....i gotta wonder what i was thinking when coloring that thing...

For reference, heres the old one.

citan.gif

(really..those colors...)

Heres the new revamped one!

20jmt5s.gif

Good ol' Citan.

Florina that hair ahhhhhh

It's... it's really chunky. I'm sorry to say, but it looks like playdough :<

SHALL I SUGGEST SPLICING?!

Yes, and

if you're going to do hair, the strands need to be smooth, clean, and identifiable. It needs to have roots (A.K.A. a starting point where the hair flows from), whether those roots be in the back of the hair or on top, and the hair needs to flow from those roots.

But yeah I'd really really /really/ suggest going back to splicing.