Portraits versus expanded rom

Asumi

Got a nice simple problem.

If I insert my custom portrait using Feditor in a clean rom i get this:

2qbg6k6.png

Lovely gal ftw

BUT, if I do the same with an Expanded Rom (Windhex expansion tool) i get...

3128fbb.png

...wha-?

The portrait is well formatted, something is clearly off with feeditor and expanded data, what should I do then?

Edited by Asumi

You should get a better mug, the quality is obviously killing this. Lalum!Karel!Eleanora needs a revamp.

Are you sure that Windhex is the only program you have open during the expansion? Nothing else is open with your ROM when inserting into FEditor?

I've never had problems with an expanded ROM, so, dunno what's doing this o 3o It's totally the mug quality

Edited by seph1212

is it so bad? T.T I thought it was absolutely okay till like...twenty minutes ago?

Anyway I'm not touching anything beside the rom and windhex, nothing is opened, nothing goes...

is it so bad? T.T I thought it was absolutely okay till like...twenty minutes ago?

Anyway I'm not touching anything beside the rom and windhex, nothing is opened, nothing goes...

Well, if you'd noticed, you're missing the outline on... pretty much the entire sprite, and that really doesn't look good on a Fire Emblem mug :/

Her chin's elongated, and her neck is too long.

And if nothing's going wrong, then... maybe try again? Maybe you made a mistake along the way without noticing.

Edited by seph1212

Actually I re-tried multiple times and I'm still getting the green pixel show all over the place.

About the outline, I made it that way on purpose, don't t iou ( "y " just broke wtf ) think the portrait feels "lighter"?

Actually I re-tried multiple times and I'm still getting the green pixel show all over the place.

About the outline, I made it that way on purpose, don't t iou ( "y " just broke wtf ) think the portrait feels "lighter"?

Huh. Wait until someone who knows what they're doing comes along, then.

And, no, I think it makes the portrait look unfinished and completely out of place :/

Some games don't use outlines on their characters' portraits, FE does, and using FE style whilst going against FE norms just looks... way too off and wrong.

If you want to make the portrait feel lighter, try to minimize use of the outline color inside the mug, not on the actual mug itself. It just makes it look bad the way you've done it, sorry.

Huh. Wait until someone who knows what they're doing comes along, then.

And, no, I think it makes the portrait look unfinished and completely out of place :/

Some games don't use outlines on their characters' portraits, FE does, and using FE style whilst going against FE norms just looks... way too off and wrong.

If you want to make the portrait feel lighter, try to minimize use of the outline color inside the mug, not on the actual mug itself. It just makes it look bad the way you've done it, sorry.

No problem, critics are always (...well almost always) for greater good! xP

n39lvq.png

Better?

How the hell did this turn from hacking questions to portrait crit--- Oh, it's Seph. Never mind. XD

Anyways, what version of FEditor are you using?

Did you try using Windhex first by itself on a clean ROM, then seeing if it works? If it does, open it in FEditor, and click "Help" and "Debug Output". If it says "Checksum is not *blah blah*" then FEditor should expand the ROM itself so that it doesn't screw up the graphics when inserting if it's the latest version.

Use HxD to insert bytes. Make sure you do that free space manager thing with FEditor Adv. Also do 00, not like 3A or FF or something for the free space value. And insert the bytes at the end of the ROM. In hex. Like add 0x08000000 bytes or something (idk wut u want).

YESSS

2s0cufd.png

in the end it was a checksum matter!

I thank both of you for your help,you gave me some precious hints: I did expand the rom with HxD, and I did check debug options thus seeing something was off with the checksum: I eventually settled the mess by using crc32it (or something like that...), an utilitiy found in hextator's doc which saved me 2 years ago and still saves me today *_*

Edited by Asumi