I lol'd.

Raven

"We are here because we care about these people," the newspaper quoted James Bynum, a church deacon, as saying. "It's easy to mock them. But you can go kick puppies, too. But why?"

Go kick some more puppies, I guess.

More depressing than funny.

About the puppies thing; the deacon basically called believers puppies. A deacon said this.

At that point it's probably more respectful to point and laugh at them.

Some of those kids whose financial opportunities were thrown away by their parents probably disagreed that anything was going to happen and are now sulking about how fucked over they were. The ones who didn't disagree are sulking anyway because they're legitimately wondering wtf happened (or rather, wtf didn't happen) and while I personally think it was stupid of any "believers" to believe what they did it just feels like a waste of time to do anything other than let them stew in their mistake.

About the puppies thing; the deacon basically called believers puppies. A deacon said this.

Wait, what? Firstly a Deacon is generally a person who looks after a Church building. At least that's what they are in my Church. Secondly, he said nothing along the lines, and it's things like this that REALLY irritate me when talking to other people. Something with a pretty clear meaning, but to satisfy somoene's own personal agenda or make sure something doesn't cause a problem for their beliefs, they take it as an alternate meaning it was fairly obviously not about. Saying you can get a laugh out of kicking puppies as well as out of laughing at misguided people is pretty obviously what's meant here.

"The Washington Post reported that suicide prevention hotlines were set up in case believers fell into depression after the apocalypse failed to happen."

Wow some people really want to die don't they.... But yeah, it is really sad to see these people throw away their life savings into this stuff and then only to be deceived.

Human stupidity at its highest. I don't think people who sold everything and got rid of everything they had deserve sympathy to be honest.

We can't blame the people who were tricked into this. Yes, they might have been overly gullible but the guilt lies with the manipulative attention-wh*re who deceived them in the first place. I almost wish that hell exists for that SOB to burn in.

this just seems to me like one of those cases where some of the blame lies with the dumbasses who propagated it, and not the single dumbass who is crazy/is a manipulative dick/accurately predicted that the rapture is coming but sucks at math

The thing is though, I don't think the single "dumbass" is really a dumbass at all. I don't think he believed the shit that he was spewing out about this doomsday. He was intentionally deceiving people to gain publicity himself and his dumbass radio show.

that is very possible, but between what i see in the news and the brief experience my family had with Jim Jones (you know, the stories i hear) i have begun to suspect that a lot more of these people are actually batshit retarded than previously believed

As I've said, though, their children do.

Of course the children should be taken by a foster home.

We can't blame the people who were tricked into this. Yes, they might have been overly gullible but the guilt lies with the manipulative attention-wh*re who deceived them in the first place. I almost wish that hell exists for that SOB to burn in.

We can and we should. They should know better. He made math fit into his theory. Anyone can get a few numbers here and there, and make some other equation and end up with judgement day prediction. Its silly and stupid. There is also the fact Harold's predctions have failed before. What irks me the more is that people that believed this called it a test from God to their faith :facepalm: . "Oh i spend all my money, i'm in bankruptcy but i'll be fine God will help me." Except he won't. I hate hearing that.

Edited by Jhen Mohran

I don't think people should be punished further for believing that SOB. Losing all their stuff due to deception is already bad enough of a punishment in my opinion.

They fell for it 3 times. Then they come up with some stupid reason as to why it failed. I bet that if he said that he mistook it and judgement day is going to be next thurday the same people will fall for it. They don't learn from their mistakes.