First-time HHM Playthrough

Dig

Okay, so here's the scoop. I'm going jump into my first playthrough of HHM, and I want you guys to pick the characters I use. I'm thinking that I'll get a good list of 14 characters you all draft and hope for the best. Now, I've played through the other modes four or five times, but I've never worked up the nerve to challenge the horrors of HHM. Note that I'll go through LHM beforehand, so I ask that you please give me at least a few units from that group. I'll use the standard drafting rules with meatshielding enabled (I figure that enemies in the early Hector chapters will kick my ass unless I throw an unarmed Marcus in their paths, since I'm sure he won't get picked). It should also be pointed out that since this is my first try on HHM, this playthrough will focus neither on rank nor on low-turn efficiency--I just want to finish this thing with as many characters as possible recruited and none of my drafted guys dead. I also threw in the necessary lord(s). I'm essentially throwing myself at the mercy of my fellow forum-goers; I hope you'll be gentle.

As I'm playing the cartridge and not a ROM, I'll post updates each chapter in the standard text format.

Why am I letting you all decide my characters, instead of just using the greats? Simple: I'm a gaming gambler; it's the same reason I prefer characters like Erk and Kent over sure things like Pent and Sain. Hit me.

1. Hector (Lyn in LHM)

2. Wil

3. Louise

4. Florina

5. Geitz

6. Legault

7. Heath

8. Priscilla

9. Bartre and Karla

10. Eliwood

11. Erk

12. Karel

13. Rebecca

14. Isadora

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dig

I think 12 units should be fine since you're going to use all three lords.

Louise

Wait. Is using all three mandatory for HHM? I know they have to be fielded in some chapters, but I didn't plan on using them (other than Lyn in her mode and Hector in his) unless they were drafted. Is there something I'm missing?

Wait. Is using all three mandatory for HHM? I know they have to be fielded in some chapters, but I didn't plan on using them (other than Lyn in her mode and Hector in his) unless they were drafted. Is there something I'm missing?

Sorry I misread that when you said you would throw all three lords, no they're not necessary to use unless if you want to go Linus's route in FFO. In that case I think 14 characters should be fine.

Karla.

You, sir, are sick and sadistic.

I like it.

(these topics are dumb)

Aww. Don't be hatin'.

Edit: I decided that since Bartre is essential to obtaining Karla, I'll go ahead and put them as a pair. They're both poor units, anyway, so I don't think it's unfair to have them together.

Edited by Dig

Alright--a magic user. That's good.

Also, woot on getting Eliwood and Erk, two of my favorite characters.

So, overall, two warriors, two swordmasters who aren't Guy, and three archers. Pro status.

Let's do this thing. First update coming soon.

Prologue: A Girl from the Plains

Tactician Info.: Name is Dig,birth month is March, and gender is male.

Playing defensively. Lyn still gets hit with a 39 display hit chance. Vulnerary powerup, and then it's time to bash Batta. And…crap. Hit again. Well, another use of vulnerary, I suppose. Batta goes down without too much trouble after that. Lyn levels, and gets HP, STR, SKL, and RES. Not too shabby.

Chapter 1: Footsteps of Fate

lolSain. Anyway, the knights run and hide in the corners (so much for chivalry) while Lyn takes to the trees and cuts the bandits down like a candy tree in a fat kid's back yard. Lyn's stats thus far:

Name Class LVL HP STR/MAG SKL SPD LCK DEF RES 
Lyn  Lord   4  18    6    10   11   6   2   2

Now, let's go get that Mani Katti.

Edit: Finally got that table thing right. Thank God.

Chapter 2

The knights hide in the houses as Lyn waits in a patch of forest for the bandits. Have you ever seen a bird fly into a window? Yeah, it's kinda like that. I could make a joke or two about Glass, but I feel like they've all been make before. Regardless, Lyn killed him and yoinked his vulnerary.

Chapter 3

Finally, more characters I can use. Florina heads north to swing some cash and kill a merc. or two while Sain recruites Wil, who follows Lyn east. Lyn gives Sain a shopping list, and the group heads north to bukake the boss. Wil gets the final shot in, and boom goes the dynamite.

Chapter 4

Defensive chapter. With Lyn, Florina, and Wil only. Fun times. Anyway, Lyn sprints into Dorcas's arms while everyone else huddles around Natalie with Florina blocking the door (once again, chivalry takes a blow). Dorcas gets a 3% crit. on the enemy that attacks him, so he steals a bit of experience by accident. Oh well. The rest of it is pretty uneventful. Didn't quite get Lyn to the boss before the 7 turns were up, but it's all good.

Chapter 5

Enter Erk. What a badass. Anyway, Serra joins Kent, Sain, and Dorcas in the back, and Erk charges like he's Conan the Barbarian. Wil and Erk take turns spanking the boss until Erk kills him and actually manages to increase his magic, of all things. Good stuff.

I tried to post the characters' stats, but for some reason, the code decided to shit its pants. I'll try again later.

Edited by Dig

No problem, man. Glad I could help, and good luck to you.

Chapters 6-10

Well, I did these while I was out and about today, so I'll compress everything together. Basically, I decided to cheat a bit and use Nils so that I could get him to Lv. 7 and gain access to chapter 19xx. Erk got used to the point where his Fire tome gave out midway through chapter 7, and I didn't think/wasn't able to pick up another one until late in chapter 10, so my team was essentially down to Lyn, Wil, and Florina. Wallace did some unarmed meatshielding for Wil on chapter 9 while Lyn single-handedly handled the south end and Florina flew around killing things where she was needed. Chapter 10 was no problem. Florina flew ahead after a turn or two and bought some much-needed weapons, including a new Thunder tome for Erk and a Heavy Lance for herself. Since Wil wasn't able to scratch Lundgren at all (even with a Steel Bow), Florina, Erk, and Lyn took care of him, with Erk getting the finishing blow by accident. Unfortunately, I unthinkingly jumped right into Hector's stuff, and now I can't see what my Lyn-story people's stats are. I think (but I'm not sure) that Lyn was level 13.64 or so, and Erk, Wil, and Florina were all around level 8 or 9. I'll update them as they rejoin.

Chapter 11

Okay, I'm not gonna lie: This chapter kicked my ass a few times before I finally won, mostly because I couldn't use Matthew at all. I still managed to get the Red Gem by waiting for the thief to open the chest and getting lucky with an awesome Wolf Beil critical. When I've gone through this level in the past, I always made sure to kill everything, but this time I found myself having Hector and Matthew run like hell and kill Wire a turn before they would have been overrun and likely killed. Hector's current stats are thus:

LVL HP STR SKL SPD LCK DEF RES
3.3 20  8   5   6   3   8   1

Chapter 12

Well, this thread is certainly living up to its description--I am officially getting my ass handed to me. I've lost this chapter no fewer than nine times. First of all, Hector (at level 3!) has to literally handle the entire northern map alone, while Oswin, Matthew, and Serra hide in the corner and huddle together until a rogue enemy slips past Hector and kills one of them. Meanwhile, the southern end looks a bit better, since I have three units I can use there, but one of them (Bartre) gets doubled by everything, Rebecca can't counter the pegasus knights flying everywhere, stabbing her in the spinal column, and Eliwood is more fragile than the self esteem of a fifteen-year-old Nintendo geek crawling out of a dumpster. Having Marcus meatshield helps slightly, but most times, the enemies just ignore him--despite the fact that he's unarmed--in favor of the others. It's pretty terrible. I hope I don't have to call it quits, but at this point, it's not looking good.

Edited by Dig