Chapter 27, BK fight

I don't believe the Black Knight will close the distance, either.

He does in Hard Mode, if I remember correctly. Not sure in other modes.

I suppose you could use Parity on player phase if you needed to avoid a Luna and rely on Aether activations on enemy phase.

Unfortunately, Parity is always on in PoR. Which only serves to make the skill that much more useless.

Plus often Ike's HP isn't high enough to survive Luna + a regular attack.

Actually, he only needs 53 HP, and that's assuming Luna halves Ragnell's defense boost and rounds down (I don't know whether it does or not). He may need a robe, though.

Some facts about the BK to prevent further questions:

BK always attacks Ike over Mist.

BK does not move on easy or normal mode.

BK does move on hard mode.

Assuming Ike's at capped stats...

BK does 19 damage normally.

BK does 34 damage with Luna.

Ike does 9 damage normally.

Ike does 36 damage with Aether (9 from Sol and 27 from Luna).

BK heals 6 at the start of each enemy phase.

If Ike attacks BK (no skill activation) each phase and hits, he'll do exactly enough damage to kill BK.

Ike can get 100 hit on BK (assuming capped skill, and you abuse both characters' biorhythm, he'll need 21 luck).

On easy and normal mode, there is 1 halberdier reinforcement and 2 bishops.

On hard mode, there is 1 bishop and 2 halberdiers.

The reinforcements are mince meat for a trained Mist but will absolutely murder her if she isn't.

Does anyone know how low BK's HP has to be to get healed by the bishop?

Someone's never trained Ike very well... Ike should be able to completely own the BK at 20/20, especially if you have Mist's help. Don't bother with Physics, since we've already pointed out that the BK wont target Mist.

Edit: And yeah, you get Nasir. He's slightly better than Ena, but in my opinion, they both suck. Nasir is relatively good shield though...

My Ike had 20 Strength when he capped his level on my last playthrough. How much damage does he do to the BK a round?

First off, the courage mist displays against the BK if they actually fight - and she almost certainly dies if this happens - is beautiful. I am glad someone else posted the conversation some time ago, because it meant I never had to watch the BK kill Mist myself.

Also, everyone has already addressed these ideas on some level, but I feel like adding my 2 cents to a very pointless, and very interesting, debate.

Hopefully, through pure attrition, I can kill the BK.

FE9 "wants" (bad RN list) you to lose against the BK, you are going to lose, unless you keep trying, I think? That's my #1 trick for beating the fight. So I think YOU have the best idea - pure attrition, with maybe 1% inspiration tossed into that 99% perspiration, oh Edison, great inventor, whose name is now the name of the city I once worked in for a wage.

Until the enemy soldiers show up on the last round, isn't it usually better to have mist with fortify (if she has A in staves) already? I can't remember whether a psychic is always gonna heal Ike to full with mist's usual magic level.

Sometimes, you are going to need to either have Ike stop attacking, or risk having Ike die. When it comes to that, I usually attack. It's the most epic part of the game, how could you not put "your" life on the line if you want to win it all? Unless you're a yellow bellied coward.....(sometimes I am, but not when fighting the Black Knight)

Until the enemy soldiers show up on the last round, isn't it usually better to have mist with fortify (if she has A in staves) already? I can't remember whether a psychic is always gonna heal Ike to full with mist's usual magic level.

To my knowledge - at least it was like that in the GBA games, I haven't really used it in FE9 - Fortify doesn't heal a single HP more than Physic. It's the usual 10 + Mag, just that it heals everyone withhin range as opposed to just a single target.

Does anyone know how low BK's HP has to be to get healed by the bishop?

I'm pretty sure it's around 15-20. Nevermind that both Bishops, if alive, will heal him.

Also I'm pretty sure those Bishops are pussies that won't touch Mist, but maybe that was because mine was a Valkyrie.

To my knowledge - at least it was like that in the GBA games, I haven't really used it in FE9 - Fortify doesn't heal a single HP more than Physic. It's the usual 10 + Mag, just that it heals everyone withhin range as opposed to just a single target.

I'm guessing he was referring to the Restore Staff, which requires B rank and fully heals the target. Because BK doesn't target Mist and the enemies shouldn't be a problem if she is trained, there really isn't a need to use Physics.

I'm pretty sure it's around 15-20. Nevermind that both Bishops, if alive, will heal him.

Also I'm pretty sure those Bishops are pussies that won't touch Mist, but maybe that was because mine was a Valkyrie.

If that's the case, you shouldn't have any problem guaranteeing victory with an abused Ike. I guess there is two ways to win this battle: reset abuse beforehand or just keeping resetting the battle until you win (or you can just be a lucky bastard and do everything on your first try).

Oh, and the Bishop attacks her on Hard, even if she is a Valkyrie. On easy and medium mode, you might actually have a problem if the bishops don't attack her but do heal BK. Mist will have to make the choice of attacking the bishops or healing Ike.

If that's the case, you shouldn't have any problem guaranteeing victory with an abused Ike. I guess there is two ways to win this battle: reset abuse beforehand or just keeping resetting the battle until you win (or you can just be a lucky bastard and do everything on your first try).

That's probably not an option that most people are willing to consider, since IIRC you can't restart the BK battle without restarting the entire chapter and FE9 chapters tend to take awhile because of map animations.

That's why I prefer to abuse. :3:

In the end, the main reason someone would want to do this is because it's like the "good ending" for the game. Practically, this is just the difference between a sucky character and a less sucky character.

First off, the courage mist displays against the BK if they actually fight - and she almost certainly dies if this happens - is beautiful. I am glad someone else posted the conversation some time ago, because it meant I never had to watch the BK kill Mist myself.

Do you have the link for this video? I can't find it on youtube.

I'm guessing he was referring to the Restore Staff, which requires B rank and fully heals the target. Because BK doesn't target Mist and the enemies shouldn't be a problem if she is trained, there really isn't a need to use Physics.

OOF. There I go messing up my terminology again! That stuff matters!

In the end, the main reason someone would want to do this is because it's like the "good ending" for the game. Practically, this is just the difference between a sucky character and a less sucky character.

Eh, practicality. We are talking Fire Emblem here. A "good ending" is just as practical as anything else. But, ya, I know how practicality is usually defined here XD

Do you have the link for this video? I can't find it on youtube.

Ugghh, looks like I am still making terrible mistakes as far as memory goes. I was thinking of the ASHNARD Vs mist conversation, one you are probably aware of. Since I didn't experience it myself, I stupidly disassociated what was going on in the game.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure SF's boss convo archive would have Mist VS BK if it existed as a special conversation.

Edited by SeverIan