Abysmal Souls: Chapter 3 and 4 (surprise)

ReformBlade

"Um... what's troubling you so much, miss? More importantly, why the constant apologies to me? If I've cause some... disturbance, I apologize for that, but..."

"I-It was all my fault! I-I know L-Lady Lucinda t-told me to d-distract the d-dragon, b-because she n-needed time to h-heal your w-wounds, b-but..." Seilynda coughed, slowly being overtaken by hysterics, "i-if only... i-if only I were s-stronger I might've..." she wiped at her tears with the back of her hand. "I-If I were stronger I c-could take c-care of myself and you w-wouldn't have had to l-lose your leg protecting me! I-I'm so sorry! B-But from the b-bottom of my heart... thank... thank you for saving me..."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Lucinda remained asleep, stirring every once in a while and mumbling nonsense about the Goddess. It sounded as if she were having a nightmare, but her body was motionless, save for her speaking and breathing.

Edited by Rathian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucretia headed downstairs, and noticed Aurelio in the lobby. She was unaware of what had happened and figured he knew the most.

"Aurelio...what happened last night?" She asked. Her memory was foggy, and she was unsure of what had happened after she killed her mother.

Edited by Gaius Julius Caesar

"Pushy, aren't you...?" She sighed, opening the door further, speaking in a soft voice. "Look. I don't know the guy personally, in fact, logically I should hate his guts, but... look, he killed me in a previous life, he and some friend of his, dunno who that other guy was. When I came to, I simply walked away from it all, hiding as I usually do. A few years later, I actually heard rumors that the guy was assassinated, rumors of some cult, at the time one I didn't know about but discovered it was actually a cult devoted to me. You can imagine how pissed I was, or not, depending on what you believe, sir..." She spoke truly, and the man could see it in her eyes.

"Hmmm... Thanks." He said out of nowhere, the information he just got, while nothing new, it was something great. So the cult is where it all lies in, does it? He thought to himself, Carrion staring at him. "You're planning to go after them, aren't you...? Here's a hint, don't. Anyone who does, from what I've found, usually ends up dead or disappearing... and you're not giving a damn, are you? I'll... tell you what. If you can find their whereabouts, any at all of them, try and get in contact with me. You seem like a guy who would charge in headstrong and immediately, but you do NOT want to be that way these fucks. At least let me help out. I've always wanted to take them down a peg, trying to imitate me... Those asses, they don't know what they're getting into." She rambled, but Teis acknowledged her wanting to help. If nothing else, he made an ally in his pursuit of the killer. "Alright, will do." He responded with a bow as he went on his way.

---

Ormis just stared at Amera. "You do realize why I'm here, right? And... why the hell are you trying to defend her? I mean, with Adrian, I can almost see some, like, witchcraft crap since she brought him back from the dead, but you? I don't get it, why would you stick up for a cold heartless being like that..."

---

Grant sat up slowly, trying to get used to only having one leg now. He felt the stump, and yet, he couldn't believe it. But then again, what did he expect from fighting with a dragon by himself? "Look, miss, please stop crying, alright? Again, there's no need for that here, I mean, it's to be expected that with how reckless I am that I'd have to pay for it one day. I find it to be an extremely fair exchange, though, to lose my leg and save the life of young woman, as you say it happened." He rubbed his head, still groggy and feeling awful in general, the effects of the ritual getting to him without his knowing. "I'm terribly sorry, miss, but I didn't catch your name..."

She blinked away some more tears and hiccuped, looking hurt. "Y-You don't re-remember my name? I-I'm Seilynda... I'll s-stop bothering you, I-I'm sorry..." Her fingers fumbled with a satchel on her belt and placed it down on the table by his bedside. "I... u-um.. it's not much, b-but.. th-thank you. I-I'll leave you a-alone now!" She sprung up from the chair she was perched on and turned to the door.

Adrian listened intently, almost wincing as she mentioned being killed again. Dammit, how many times has that happened? I've... I've got to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'll train, learn magic, get better weapons... I don't care what. He kept listening, as his inner angst went on. This guy did seem trustworthy, at least. He wouldn't have to worry about fighting him in the future; maybe he could be an ally later on. "okay, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, Riya, listen..." He looked down at his ankle, and then back at her. "I... I need to be able to do something. I can't just sit here, I really can't. And after all you've said, well, I need to find someway to become stronger. You're powerful, but, I still want to be there to protect you." He was serious, his tone indicating such, as he looked at this girl. I can't be a hindrance to her, I just can't.

-----

"Uh... I don't really care why you're here, I'm not going to let you act like an idiot and just fight her without knowing why she did what she did. She's explained this whole thing to me, Ormis, and while I understand your want for revenge, what your parents did wasn't much better than what you're doing right now." She was back to serious, letting it out on him. "If you really want to charge in there half cocked, not knowing why she's been called 'The Devourer'," she said The Devourer in the silliest of voices, "then be my guest, but not before getting past me. She stood now, almost ready to fight the kid, if he did try anything.

"I understand your sentiment, I really do, but... you've got a bad ankle right now. Just focus on keeping that fucker off the ground, alright?" She shut the door and her stomach gurgled intensely, reminding her. "Dammit... No wonder I feel so weak, I haven't eaten in two damn days, and I'm out of money. By chance you got anything on you, Adrian?" She asked nicely but with a hint of urgency.

---

Grant was confused. "Seilynda...?" He called out. Did I upset her? Good going, dumbass. Making a girl cry, my parents must be proud of me now... He thought as he picked up the bag she left, filled with money. The money, while a nice gesture, did nothing to alleviate his current problem. Having one leg was going to make walking a bit more difficult. Just a bit. Without much thought, he tried getting up, at first succeeding, balancing on one leg but then he tumbled over, landing with a loud thud. "Oooow..."

---

Ormis scowled. "I know exactly why she's called the 'Devourer', dammit." He got up, backing off from the Anri slightly. "She eats people, eats their hearts or some other sick shit I don't even want to think about." He said in a rather wild tone. "I don't know what stupid sob story she gave you, but all I know is she took away just about the only thing I had in life. And why me trying to even the score is some bad idea to you, I'll never understand."

Edited by SlaveBlade

"Alright, alright. I know that trying to walk this off won't make it any better, I do." He sighed, and laid back in the bed. "I'm just... worried about you. You've mentioned that you've already died at least twice, and it makes me worry that I'm just extra baggage holding you back, or that I might get you killed..." He groaned, flailing his arms a bit. "Enough of me complaining, you said you needed some money?" He smiled, as his hand felt a few coins in his pocket. "Well, I do, but what are you going to give me for giving you it?" His eyebrow cocked, the same smile on his face.

-----

And why me trying to even the score is some bad idea to you, I'll never understand."

This made her twitch, as her hand, a fist now, shook. "Oh, I don't? I really fucking don't?!" Her voice now a yell, instead of a calm serious tone. "You know your parents! Or at least you knew them! What about me?! What about my family?! And here you are, whining because your parents spent their lives chasing her down, instead of raising their son and living in peace! They had a chance to live happily, and they fucked up!" She was jealous that he even knew his parents, but how they chose to spend their life sickened her. "I didn't even get that chance... so don't try to talk to me with your 'this is the right idea, I have to do this' bullshit! If I can go through my life, living without this huge want for revenge on my mind, you should be able to, too!" She was a blubbering angry mess right now, but she took a fighting stance. "If you seriously want to try, then just start walking to their room. You'll be down within ten seconds, and we'll have to call that healer back!"

The girl squeaked. "G-Grant, are you okay? Be careful!" She went over to him and helped him up, nearly toppling over in the process. Now that she thought about it, he was really tall... Seilynda looked up at him, blushing a bit in embarrassment. "U-Um... would you like me to get you anything? Breakfast and a crutch or water or a drink or something? Oh golly, that sounded redundant..." she looked away, blushing furiously. I must sound like an idiot to him...

Ormis

"If you seriously want to try, then just start walking to their room. You'll be down within ten seconds, and we'll have to call that healer back!"

"That woman killed my family. I can tell you right now that I am NOT gonna just sit back and let her get away! You can just go call that healer right now if you're oh so concerned about me, and it won't do you any good. I am gonna KILL that bitch, or die trying."

Ormis drew his sword.

"Listen, Amera. I don't want to hurt you, but I'm not gonna stop now. Especially not just because you think I'm so easy to kill."

Teis

Well, that was a huge waste of time.

Teis expected to feel some satisfaction, or at least some loosening in the knot in his stomach, but all he felt now was hatred and anger towards the man who he knew killed his father. Somehow, he'd expected the Witch to know more about this, but apparently not. He punched the wall in frustration.

"Great. Now what the fuck am I supposed to do?"

Edited by Camtech075

"If you won't hear her out and at least try talking to her, then I have nothing more to say to you." She wiped her eyes to stop the crying, as she didn't want to be seen as weak, or over emotional. At least, not right now. She really was done talking to him, as he spoke once more.

"Listen, Amera. I don't want to hurt you, but I'm not gonna stop now. Especially not just because you think I'm so easy to kill."

"But Ormis, that's the best part..." She bent her knees, and tightened her fist, "you are." Her eyes narrowed, and her voice became calm once again, as she lunged at the boy, and dove her fist into his stomach.

Carrion raised an eyebrow to Adrian, staring at him. "You're for all intents and purposes bedridden, weaponless and you're trying to buy some 'services' from me? Boy, I admire your bravery, but are you ever going to learn?" She chuckled, moving over to the bedside and taking a seat right next to him, holding her hand out expectantly. "I'll give you food, does that work" She cocked her head and smiled.

---

Grant's eyes lit up at the mention of breakfast. "YES. I mean uh... yes.. please, Seilynda? All of the above?" Now that he thought of it, he was extremely hungry, like he could eat a horse, or even that dragon...

He took her hand and kissed it, like a proper gentleman, before dropping the money he had into it. Some twelve gold pieces and a bit of silver. "Food would be good, yeah. And don't worry, I wasn't hoping for any 'services' from you. I know you're not ready for that... yet." He was still smiling, but he couldn't help but blush at his joke. "Besides, I wouldn't want to hurt my ankle doing something like that. It'd take longer for me to get out of this damn bed. So, you just take that and go get yourself something to eat, whilst I stare at the ceiling."

Ormis

"Oof-!"

Ormis had a fraction of a second to attempt to dodge her fist. He stepped just out of the way to avoid taking a full on hit, but it still blew him a good foot through the wall behind him. Somehow, he held onto his sword.

"Heh. Okay then, go ahead. Kill me then, since you seem to care so much about protecting her. It's not like you've had to stand by and watch your god-dammed family die in front of you!"

With that, Ormis leaped back out, sword swinging. If he could cut her arm, it would, at the very least, mean that he only had one arm to deal with.

Dear gods... I'm pretty fast, but she's like lightning!

Edited by Camtech075

Seilynda cracked a small smile, her blush fading. "Do you want anything in particular? I'd imagine you'd want some meat to regain your strength. Ale might be a good replacement for water, if you'd prefer." She began to dig through her pockets and pouches and bags for more coin.

The sword nicked her arm. She would've dodged it, but his comment pissed her off enough to make her not pay attention to his sword. She shot up next to him, and grabbed him by the collar. "No, I didn't, but how about we trade? You can go and be sexually abused for eight years, and I can watch my parents die. How does that sound?" She kicked off of his chest into a backflip, landing a few feet away and glancing at her arm. The nick she'd thought she'd gotten was a lot more than a nick, and her arm was starting to bleed pretty heavily. Dammit... I have to be more careful. This kid's not worth getting myself hurt this badly.

Ormis

Another large dent in the wall. Ormis was getting sick of pulling himself out of some hole or other, and it showed.

"At least you got the fuck away from it. You don't have to spend half your life chasing some witch that no one believes EXISTS, all because of some failure on YOUR part!"

He was about to spring out again, when he realized his ribs were broken again. Spitting out another glob of blood, he slowly climbed out. Another hit like that would kill him.

Well... Ol' Sargeant back at the guild always said I was nothing if not gutsy-!

With a roar, he charged, making sure to keep his sword at an angle that he might deflect an incoming blow off the flat side. Better to lose his sword than his life, at least.

Edited by Camtech075

"Tch!" She didn't really have anything else to say to that; this fight was over. Ormis wasn't going to be fighting much longer in his condition, and Amera didn't want to have to lose as much blood as she was. She took a stance as he charged at her, focusing on his hands. When he got close, she grabbed his wrist, twisted it, knocking the sword out of his hands. She continued, latching her other hand onto his wrist, and tossing him over her shoulder, his momentum helping with that. He hit the inn's floor with a thud, Amera gasping for air as he was rather heavy. "Haa... haa... We're done... with this fight, kid." She'd finally caught her breath, "I don't want to bleed out because of carelessness, and you probably don't have enough money to pay for your ribs again. If you really think you can do anything to her in the state you're in now, just try." She left him there, walking over to Carrion's room, and knocking calmly on the door.

"12 pieces? Kid, that wouldn't get you much of anything from me. Except maaaaaybeee..." She pulled him in for a long drawn out kiss, grabbing him by the collar to do so. When she was done, she laughed. "Now, since I'm a nice girl, I'll just put the change on your tab. You can pay me the rest later, OK? Bye!" She hopped off the bed and waved goodbye to the kid, only to walk outside the room to hear fighting downstairs, unfortunately familiar voices reaching her ears... "OK, yeah, I'm..." She walked back into her room, closing the door and leaning back on it. "I'm gonna wait this one out, Ormis and Amera are fighting downstairs... Or else they're just really awkward partners." She threw in to try and lighten the mood, when she got a knock on the door, giving her a start. She opened the door again to see Amera, "Yes?"

---

"Hahaha, ale this early? I appreciate it, but nah, water is good. Thanks for the help, Seilynda." He saw her rummaging about for what he thought was money. "Oh, here, you uh... dropped this." He said, producing the same satchel she gave him. It's not that he despised charity, he just didn't want her to spend so much on him.

Ormis

"Wh-what the FUCK?"

Ormis landed, all his breath leaving him in a rush. His chest burned with pain, but somehow he didn't feel it anymore. His ribs were definitely broken, but that wasn't going to stop him. He got up, then started hobbling over to the door where they had been before. "You just watch, dad... mom... I'm gonna... It's time to..."

He stopped muttering, talking took too much breath. All he wanted was one cut on her. One cut, and he'd be satisfied. Before, he wouldn't have settled with anything but the Witch's death, but at this point...

I never hit you after our last match, did I?

"Hahaha, ale this early? I appreciate it, but nah, water is good. Thanks for the help, Seilynda. Oh, here, you uh... dropped this."

"No, it's yours. Really, it's the least I could do, you saved my life, after all." She smiled sadly. "Nothing's really... gone right since I left home, but I get by. I might seem like a crybaby, but nothing can shake my determination!" The melancholy smile turned into one of uneasy reassurance and worry. "If I can be of help, then it'd make me happy. You just take it easy... okay?"

"Except maybe wha--" he tried to finish, but her kiss interrupted him, as he could do nothing but kiss her back. Her grabbing his collar didn't help but embarrass him more, as he was redder than her hair. "Y-Yeah, a n-nice girl..." he was flustered, falling back into the bed and sighing. He didn't know whether or not to make heads or tails of her, honestly. She would be serious one moment, and then do that the next. Not that he didn't like it; he loved it, and wished she'd do it more than she did. Zoning back into reality as she opened the door, he heard the voices of Amera and Ormis as well. "I can't blame you, but, if Ormis is here..." He paled, hoping that the boy had lost contact with Grant at this point. A knock on the door made his worries worse, but luckily, it was Amera there.

-----

"Hi..." she said, her voice low and quiet. She wobbled in and fell onto the floor, rolling onto her back. "He's... pretty tough, that kid..." I'm tired, just from fighting him? Damn, I need to get some more exercise. "Don't worry, I'm just tired. Though, I'd like someone to take a look at my arm." The gash on it was at least an inch deep, and her other hand was pressed against it to slow the bleeding.

Ormis

"Though, I'd like someone to take a look at my arm."

Ormis decided to chance it. "I got you. How much... is there to say... about that?" The boy said this just as he rounded the corridor. His breathing was laborious and tense, yet his entire frame had set with determination. One cut. I still owe her that much.

Teis

Upon returning to the inn, Teis was astonished to see blood on the walls and floor, as well as two large dents. Who would be strong enough to-

Then he saw Ormis's empty sheath on the floor, and it all made sense. The boy must have gotten into some argument with her, and she'd attacked him. He'd thought her to be unusually strong, and this was proof. And that means...

...he's at her room, probably about to get his brains blasted out by some fireball. Ugh... I bear her no ill will now, but I won't let a child like him die, not when I could have prevented it.

With that resolution, he started towards her room, running with surprising speed given his armor, which made loud clinks that could probably be heard through the entire building.

"Oh god, you shouldn't be- Ugh, nevermind, let me look at it." It was a pretty clean cut, and she was visibly impressed if what Amera said was true. "The kid did this to you? Yeesh, to get a strike on an Anri like that... he's a bit more than I realized. Maybe I underestimated him. But... right now, uh... dammit." She ripped off another piece of her dress and began tying it on the wound, mainly to soak up the existing blood and then to stop the flow out of the wound. "Alright, that's temporary, but given you're an Anri, it'll heal quick, but... just to make sure, I'll go see if I can get a healer to patch that up quickly."

"I got you. How much... is there to say... about that?"

Carrion's head faced the floor as she shook her head. She was about to turn around and blast him away, but she saw that he was bloody and already basically down for the count. "Kid, you're injured, you're in a public place, you're facing a powerful mage right now. Just walk... away." That was going to be her only warning, and the coldness in her tone spoke volumes. "If you want to get this over with so you'll stop following my ass, I'll get you some medical attention and then we can settle this once and for all, no interference. Care to try your luck?"

---

"Seilynda, you're not giving yourself any credit. Last I checked, that damn dragon was going to eat me but then some valiant and brave woman came by and distracted the beast so I could get healed. Now, to me, that's the reason I could do anything, because someone else helped me out." He said, truthfully, remembering the incident in vivid detail now. His face grimaced when he thought of the acid again, his stump twitching, but his face was sincere when he looked at her.

Both

Ormis was about to respond when an arm, powerful and armored, grabbed him and lifted him away from the Witch, knocking out the rest of his breath. He only got in one thought before he passed out.

Teis-!

Teis sighed. "Sorry about that. Kid's much more stubborn than you would know." With an apologetic glance backwards, he turned on his heel and walked towards the church. He didn't have enough money to pay for another healing, so a priest would have to do.

"Kid, seriously?" Adrian looked on at the bloody bruised mess that had stumbled into the doorway, almost impressed that he was still standing. He looked in pretty bad shape, and he couldn't believe Amera had done this. She seemed like such a nice girl. Upon Riya's proposal, though, he sincerely wanted Ormis to take it. "Ormis, seriously, it's a good idea! Don't throw your life away over some grudge!" Of course, the axe man came and grabbed him before he could answer. Adrian could only breath a sigh of relief. Ormis gone, he looked back at Riya, and blushed again, as more of her skirt was missing. I like where this is going, and I really wish I didn't.

-----

"Thanks for that." She said with a sigh as the cloth was tightly wrapped around the wound. She reared back, and sprang up onto her feet, letting out another sigh. "Hey, it's not my fault he got that hit, we were both throwing some pretty mean words back an' forth. I just wasn't paying attention for a sec, is all." She was truly rather embarrassed about getting a hit from someone as uncoordinated as Ormis, but it was a fair hit, so she couldn't complain too much.

Edited by seph1212