Abysmal Souls: Chapter 3 and 4 (surprise)

ReformBlade

Both

"Thanks for waiting up, now let's just go and bumrush these fuckers if we can. I won't stand for them existing as they are."

"I wasn't intending to, it was only because that idiot," Teis said, motioning towards Ormis, "crashed into this gentleman here that I'm not halfway there already."

Ormis, impatient as usual, was surprised to hear Amera agree with him. He noticed the other Anri from before eyeing them, but hadn't thought anything of it. Now that he looked at it, Amera seemed to be frightened by this person as well. He was about to say something else when Teis spoke up.

"I, too, would like to leave as soon as possible. But I believe that decision is up to you, Miss Crimson."

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Up to me? Let's go now!" She said with her mouth full. Exiting the city, she went in step with Teis. "I'm just gonna ask this now. Do you want me to leave any of them for questioning? If you are, you need to tell me which one or ones, sir. I'm not going to be very patient with them, and I don't think they're gonna be patient either..." Carrion wasn't going to play around, but she would help the man out. He seemed like the kind of guy you'd want helping you. She would've chastised Danyon more, but all she cared to do was give a condescending look to him.

Both

"I won't begrudge you if you happen to kill the man I am searching for, as it so happens that I know nothing about him. However, I do know that he was wearing a robe with very elaborate flames, very fancy. I would presume to say that he was one of the higher-ranking members of this group. But beyond that, go wild."

Now that Teis thought of it, he had no idea who had actually killed his father. All he knew was that this cult was involved somehow... and he could take his revenge by wreaking havoc on the entire group, rather than on the one man, though killing the very man would make a nice finish.

Meanwhile, Ormis followed along, trying not to let himself look at Scarlet. Teis seemed to be fine with her, as did everyone else. And he hadn't even remembered how his family had died until recently...

Maybe I should just let it go...?

"Um... Don't worry about it, I'd rather you do that than fall straight to the ground. We can split the bill if you want, I have at least some money left."

Lucretia nodded and followed Aurelio to the door. Fairly close to the inn was an armory, where she immediately set out to sell her mother's remaining weapons. She walked to the desk where an older man sat there, examining an axe.

"Sir, how much for these?" She asked politely, hoping to avoid confronting him.

He picked up the sword first, examining the handle and blade. "This one's got a few cracks in it." He mumbled.

"It's taken the lives of many a swordsman." She replied hastily.

"The material is very rare though. Myan, I assume?" He asked. Lucretia nodded. "And the knife looks very sharp." He picked it up, running the blade across some material he had next to him. "Sharp."

"How much?" She asked again.

"Total? Seventy-five gold pieces." He said.

"I'll take it." She gave him the weapons and he gave her the gold. As she left, she felt a sense of rebirth and cleansing. She returned to Aurelio, money in hand. "Now, about that breakfast..."

"Now?" Adrian had only just heard her, and she was running off with Teis, towards the town exit. They seemed to be going to rush in and kill the lot of them, which Adrian didn't think was the best of ideas. "Ya know, Carrion, I understand how powerful you are, but they're still mages. Shouldn't we plan something, or try and be careful about this?" Last thing we need is one of them launching some ridiculously powerful spell when we least expect it. He felt around his waist, realizing that, once again, he was weaponless. "Teis, got a spare sword, axe, anything? I know mages are fragile, but, all I've got is a ladle." It was rather embarrassing to admit. He'd managed to lose two swords already.

-----

Amera kept pace with the group, just skipping along with them. She'd somehow managed to end up walking next to Ormis, but, she thought to herself for a moment. If we're going to be in battle together for a while, it would be best if we didn't hate each other, right? I don't want to apologize, but... Oh, dang it. "H-Hey, Ormis... Uhm..." This was going to be hard for her to say, whether she wanted to say it, or not. "I'm... s-s-sorry about our fight... before... and I don't want us hating each other going into a fight like this." She was looking the other way and blushing as she spoke, not one to apologize about her personal beliefs, but the situation demanded it.

Teis

"Yes, I do." Teis reached back and took out his spare axe. It was a little heavier than the usual axe its size, but it was an axe nonetheless, and Teis had already spent 10 crowns on it, and it would be a shame not to use it. "It's a little heavy, but this might do you fine."

Ormis

Ormis gave a little start. He hadn't noticed how he managed to end up next to Amera.

"U-uh, okay, yeah," he started, his own ears turning red. "I'd really hate to stay on your bad side, so... yeah, I'm sorry as well."

Adrian took the axe, instantly feeling its weight. This is why I taught myself how to use swords... Oh Gods... He struggled to get a good grip on it, finally managing to hold it properly. "Yeah, I hope I can snatch a sword off of one of the mages, because this is way too heavy for me..." His frame was never really meant for anything larger than a lance.

-----

He's apologizing? I guess that's good. Not sure I'm liking his reasoning, though. Amera turned a shade of red she'd never imagined, not expecting him to want to apologize for that reason. It was kind of a compliment, in her eyes. She'd never expected to get a compliment out of having gotten into a fight, but it still made her happy. Happy enough to pick up the boy and smother him in a hug. "Glad we've gotten over this!" Letting him go, she continued her happy little walk along with the group.

'Oh.'

Langely's one word of surprise echoes as she has, somehow moved to the exit as the group coming forward are exiting too. She quickly sees Amera and the boy from before, decidedly less bleedy, leaving with a scruffy looking boy who looks a bit worn in general, a woman with bright hair and quite a look of condescension about her, as well as a knight like man, axe visible enough to show he must be a 'strength is strength' kind of guy. Some fancy looking guy as well, he looks like your typical noble seeking adventure and who appeared to be who the girl with bright hair directed her look to. She chuckles silently as, with the way she's dressed? So must she. Her tail flicks gently and she offers a light touch of words back to the group with a light nod.

'Luck to you, wherever you're off.'

Edited by NagafenOfIvalice

Ormis

"Y-yeah..."

Ormis returned the hug, his own face becoming an even deeper shade of red. When she let go, he let out a breath quietly, then grinned. If things keep up like this, it'll be a great day.

She was touched by Adrian's concern, her face conveying such, but she laughed a little at him. "Adrian, I know what I'm doing. If they're trying to gain fame by means of my 'deeds', well, I'm going to kick their asses, no ifs, ands or buts, alright? Chances are they'll be tough, so yeah, we should put some thought into this, but really, I think it'll just be me burning them to a damn crisp. And besides." She poked Adrian right in his chest, "If shit gets too deep, you're a good runner. So, unless there's more there than we're bargaining for and we just keep our cool, we're going to be fine. Trust me."

At least she knows I care. Better than her thinking I don't think she's strong enough. "Well, alright. I trust that you can handle yourself, then. Just don't blame me if they have some, super secret powerful spell, alright?" He joked, poking her arm back. "And yes, I am a good runner, suited to carrying at least one hundred and thirty pounds. I guess I can get you out if shits gets too real, though, you might be heavier than my limit." Always making jokes about her weight, Adrian was, since it seemed to be the only way he could actually make joke at her.

-----

Amera had spotted the woman from before, wishing them good luck. She was feeling a lot better, now that she had apologized to Ormis, so she waved back. "Thanks~!" She yelled, glad that someone would be so nice to them for no real rhyme or reason. I guess she's not so bad afterall... Maybe I was just too afraid of what might've happened.

Gideon walked with the rest of the group in silence, trying to be subtle about how he observed their interactions. They all seemed pretty close. Closer than old man Fish was with his men, anyway. It was a nice change. Then again, he had always been watching his back when he was a kid. He felt...safer, perhaps? Less jittery? Either way, he didn't mind it. Even if their chattering was a bit irritating, he had heard worse, and the camaraderie offset it enough that he didn't mind. Hell, even that punk who blitzed him didn't seem that obnoxious among friends. But it still seemed strange to him that they weren't talking to him. He knew he was imposing sometimes, but he couldn't be that forbidding to look at...

When the knight pulled out his axe, it caught Gideon's eye. It was a nice piece. Probably had a lot of power behind it. "Oi," he said to Teis, pointing at it. "Can I take a look at that?" He held out his hand. Fighting with axes, and using axes generally, was something he was good at, so he figured he'd take a look. It had to be lighter than the rusty thing on his back, at least.

Teis

"Uh, okay. Sure." Teis took his axe back from the other boy (Adrian) and handed it over. "I spent ten crowns fixing that, so don't go breaking it so quickly, alright?"

'You're welcome, Amera.'

Langley answers with a small, teasing usage of her name, yet she turns and smiles more as the group keep to themselves, even happier knowing Amera felt happier from her wish, that was a plus to hold close. Walking forward and through the city exit, sword held to her back and large in size then regular blades, she yawns again and tries to ignore an odd tired feeling through her form, a wobble issuing yet soon passed. She stretches slowly again and keeps walking forward and looks to her boots, white but encrusted with dirt, crunching through dried mud on occasion. To the mountains, she thinks with a slow yawn.

Danyon

It was expected she wasn't going to say much, but he'd find out everything eventually. He went back to get on his horse, and then followed the group. The guy with the Crimson Witch? was now holding a humongous axe which was probably way too huge for him. This wasn't going to end well.

Edited by JBCWK

"Uh, okay. Sure," the knight said as he handed the axe over. It wasn't terribly heavy; Gideon couldn't say for sure what its weight was numerically, but it had to be lighter than his. "I spent ten crowns fixing that, so don't go breaking it so quickly, alright?" Teis added.

Gideon took the axe in one hand and curled his lips into a slight smirk as he looked at Teis. He pointed his thumb at the axe on his back. "This thing," he said, "has felled trees, men, and countless monsters. I've kept it together without spending a penny for five years now. Trust me, I'm good at keeping things in decent shape." Lowering his hand, he put his fingers on the axe's blade. It was a very nice piece, and the finish on it was clearly new - whoever fixed this up earned his ten crowns. "Blade's wider than mine," he commented, taking it in both hands. "Lighter, though. What's this made out of?" It had to be a quality material to be bigger than his and lighter at the same time.

Teis

"This thing has felled trees, men, and countless monsters. I've kept it together without spending a penny for five years now. Trust me, I'm good at keeping things in decent shape."

Teis took one look at the rusted and chipped axe the man pointed to, and had to make an actual effort not to laugh.

"I don't doubt it, sir. Either way, you can keep the axe. As long as I have this here," he said, heaving his big axe, "I have no need for anything lighter."

"I do indeed! Have you seen her ladyship recently? I've never spoken to her in person, but my family have been serving her house for many generations. We were slightly concerned at her absence."

Seilynda spoke uneasily. "She um... she's in this inn currently, I'm not sure which room she's in exactly, but... we did travel with her and I think she's still recovering from a spell she cast."

"I don't doubt it, sir. Either way, you can keep the axe. As long as I have this here," he said, heaving his big axe, "I have no need for anything lighter," the knight told him. Wow. Such generosity...

Gideon arched an eyebrow and grinned. "My name isn't 'sir,' it's Gideon. And I haven't earned any titles, so call me a knave or something." Involuntarily he swung the axe over his shoulder, its lightness surprising him. Not wanting to cleave anyone's head, he quickly regained control of it. "I appreciate this, though. Thanks." Usually people weren't this kind to him unless he made a face first. Not that he minded - it was a nice change of pace. Maybe he was already making friends...

Teis

"Name's Teis. No problem." Glancing over his shoulder to make sure that Ormis wasn't getting into any trouble, he noticed the boy grinning from ear to ear. Likewise, Amera seemed to ahve a new spring in her step as well.

Well, that's good.

Carrion frowned. "You need some new material. Don't worry, we'll work on it. You'll be a full fledged clown in no time, and that ladle of yours will be the perfect prop!" She sauntered on, smiling. She looked at the group she was with, noting that there were many who probably weren't acquainted with each other. "Alright, listen up, people. I'm just going to say it now so there aren't any 'surprises' later on when we don't need them... Yes, i am the Crimson Witch. If you want proof, just keep following me, and you'll see what I'm capable of, what I ALONE am capable of. But for now, you can just call me Carrion." Her confidence was brimming here. She had a few people who would defend her, and it would at best be four versus three. If they wanted to react to her being the witch of legend, she'd rather it be now.

---

The knight was shocked at Seilynda's news. "Wait, what? What spell did she cast? Is she gonna be alright?!" He was scared that he may have done something to her, or caused her to do something from his actions last night.

"Yes, i am the Crimson Witch."

Surprise, surprise. Gideon was working with the Crimson Witch, of all people. He smirked as he listened to her. Cocky little thing, wasn't she? Once she was done, there was a bit of a pause. The silence was broken by Gideon's chuckling, which quickly devolved into full-blown laughter. "I swear," he said as he calmed down. "of all the people I could have ended up with from being in that city for all of an hour, I get the Crimson Witch." Still grinning, he eyed the girl and folded his arms. "Gotta say, I thought you'd be a bit more...sinister-looking." He shrugged. "But I guess Lusians demonize you more than most." Shouldering his axe, he pointed at her. "I don't completely buy what you're sellin' yet, Carrion. But you've intrigued me, so I'm gonna stick around for a while."

To Gideon's way of thinking this was perfect. If she was the Crimson Witch after all, then he would probably never be bored again while he worked for her. If she wasn't, he'd at least be in the company of a false prophet, and that seemed quite a bit of fun, too. It had taken him six years to find something worth his time, but he got it. At least, he thought he did. His instincts told him to charge her and kill her now - casters were trouble, he had been taught, and the Crimson Witch was exponentially worse. His father was a pious man. That was another thing he hated about his old man.

"So what kind of dark errand are we signed up for?" he asked, a bit more spring in his step than usual. It had been a while since he actually showed enthusiasm for something. She had better not end up another disappointment...

"Wait, what? What spell did she cast? Is she gonna be alright?!"

"I-I'm not sure..." Seilynda cowered a bit and shrank back. "I think she was trying to grow your leg back or something... I think she's just sleeping."

Aurelio

"Now, about that breakfast..."

She'd probably sold her mother's swords, that was a lot of gold she'd gotten. Lucretia probably had her reasons for doing it, perhaps to severe all ties? Regardless, he was hungry;

"OK, let's get to it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ken

"I-I'm not sure... I think she was trying to grow your leg back or something... I think she's just sleeping."

"She attempted such a spell?!?" Ken spluttered, almost terrified at the statement. "Please take me to her!"

"She attempted such a spell?!? Please take me to her!"

Seilynda ran behind Grant again. "I-I don't know where she is! P-Please d-don't..." She gulped, the priest's attitude was starting to scare her.