Abysmal Souls: Chapter 3 and 4 (surprise)

ReformBlade

Aurelio

"Aurelio...what happened last night?"

He was surprised, yet rather glad, that Lucretia had woken up. Her mother's death was probably still on her mind, it was understandable - she had killed her herself.

"Well, after you... did it, you'd taken a couple of hits and passed out. I thought about taking you back but we followed Grant and the others anyway. Grant seems to have lost his leg to a dragon, I was too slow catching up." He said the last part with a slightly bitter tone. "Anyway, we're in Varthas right now. Priest girl's pretty out of it, and we'll have to see how Grant's doing. How about we go to breakfast? Don't worry, after a small sale, I'll have enough for the both of us."

He was pretty hungry, he imagined she was too.

----------------------------------------------

Ken

The innkeeper still hadn't arrived, he thought he'd treat himself to breakfast first. It had been an uncomfortable night, and he needed to eat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seilynda squeaked and turned several shades of red, her cheeks a color similar to her hair. "I-I... I have to go now!" she squeaked again, grabbed the bag of coins, and bolted out the door. Though in a tizzy, she closed the door behind her quietly and locked it. The guard leaned against the wall and took several deep breaths to calm herself down. She couldn't remember the last time someone looked at her like that, and to be honest, it made her heart skip a beat. Remember, Seilynda, it's not like you're attractive or endearing or lovable or anything. Who would want a crybaby country hick-turned soldier as an object of affection? Valiant and brave aren't words someone would describe a fair maiden, anyway. Get a hold of yourself and stop being in over your head!

She slapped herself back into reality and made her way down to the kitchens. Once she mentioned Grant's name, they started cooking up a great feast and insisted that it was free of charge. When the girl asked about the whereabouts of a shop that could supply a cane or crutch of some sort, there seemed to be a scramble and several people raced off (literally) to bring one. She stood there, in the middle of the commotion, stunned for a while. Seilynda didn't have to wait long to bring food and drink up to him and was glad to be able to escape all the hubbub. She bounded back upstairs, unlocked the door while balancing a million things, and stepped in timidly. "Um... I'm back..."

Watching the injured Ormis get dragged away, Carrion looked back in the room. An injured Anri, and a bedridden for now human. Her survival was looking like shit right now, and she wanted to fix that. "Alright, you know what, we need to get both of your injuries fixed and quick, if you're going to be following and helping me out. We can... beg a priest to see if he'll heal you both, even though i'm loathe to fall back on that, money is scarce right now." She walked back over to Adrian. "Come on, kid, up and at em, he's not making a housecall and you need to get some exercise as is..."

---

Grant thudded against the wall lightly, this time bracing for the impact before any more damage befell him. He seemed to have flustered her even more. He kinda liked it when she blushed, her face turning a wonderful shade of r- Grant slapped himself, his mind wandering much farther than intended. Goddamn, man, she's like... not even an adult by the looks of things. When she came back, he turned his body lazily. "Hi there, I'm just... chillin..." He couldn't wait to get a crutch or something and be able to move on his own. "Geez... Just set that stuff down somewhere, quick. You got all of that with the money you gave me?!"

---

An armored man burst into the small church doors rather quickly, carrying a young boy. the priest on duty was shocked, but he responded quickly to the man's pleas. The priest brought out his book and began chanting. A small light apeared over Ormis as his wounds began to heal, the priest smiling. "If I may ask, what happened to the young sir here?" His face paled as he went on. "Was... was it by chance another attack from that witch's cult?!"

Edited by SlaveBlade

Both

"I don't know, it might have been. There's this Anri girl over there, crazy by the looks of it, and she gave him a bit of a thrashing last night. I paid a healer for it, but now I'm broke and this kid's about to die again. Same girl. They got into some argument or something, and it got violent."

Then Teis picked up on what the priest had actually said.

"But wait a sec. Tell me more about this cult, I'm curious. If they've been causing trouble, I think I can help you out a little."

"Yes!-- I mean, sure, yeah, I think that's a good idea." His happiness knew no bounds as Riya mentioned getting his ankle healed, and he practically sprang out of the bed, instantly holding on to her shoulder to make sure he didn't fall over. "Sorry, I just really think it's a good idea that we get this ankle healed. It'd probably take at least a week without magic healing it." He looked down again, unable to keep his eyes off of her torn skirt, a little embarrassed that he couldn't. Quickly he brought his eyes back up, not wanting to make her upset.

-----

"I'll be fine, really. The bleeding's already stopped." She pulled of some of the cloth, and, sure enough, the blood had already started to scab over, and the wound was practically healing itself. "The blood loss was just a little shocking at first, that's all." She was against getting healed by magic. She'd always had this... aversion to it, and didn't really know if it was good or not. She'd still go with them, though, not sure if they could deal with anything should it come their way.

"Geez... Just set that stuff down somewhere, quick. You got all of that with the money you gave me?!"

She shook her head. "It ended up being free. The village is raving about how you took down a green dragon single-handed, and well... they seem to be dying to be able to accommodate you. Anyway, here's your crutch, and carrying all this stuff is child's play if you ask me." Seilynda smiled a bit and handed it over. "I grew up on a small farm, and I was always that little one carrying things around and helping Papa plow the fields. Once I enlisted as a soldier, they started me off on this pack mule business, so really, it's no big deal." She then placed the dishes of food on a table and poured a glass of water for him. "Anyway, that's enough about me. Need anything else?"

She somehow didn't notice Adrian staring, and probably wouldn't have cared either way, but she wrapped an arm around his shoulder as she began walking him out of the room. "Well, if you're as fine as you say you are, then just follow along, would ya?" She just suggested healing for convenience's sake, didn't really care if the Anri liked it or not, but her aversion was weird all the same. It takes all sorts, I guess...

The trio arrived at the same Church Teis went into, the priest looking on with a surprised face. "Are these... acquaintances of yours, sir? no, nevermind, it's unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but... as for the witch's cult. You say you can help? If you're interested at all, we've had sightings of them to the southwest, over near the lake. People taking tours over there seem to be coming back, terrified, talking of people in red and black robes, and the people were always burned. Apparently the survivors claim that these cultists were enthusiasts of the Crimson witch, if you can believe, but, to be honest, I don't believe in fairy tales like that. If the witch existed, we'd all be dead by now, wouldn't we? However, the burns and the terror in their eyes are all too real. and the accidents seem to be getting more frequent and more varied..." Carrion kept silent throughout his ramblings, only motioning to Adrian's sprained ankle. "Sir, if you'd please... we were actually thinking of heading out that way, maybe we can take care of these pests once and for all?"

---

Grant rubbed his ear. "Could you run that by me again? You got everything here for free?! I'm getting special treatment here, eh? Well, you know what? Why don't you and I have a feast together, then? I don't see why I should get all the credit for it when you pulled your weight just as well as I!" He grabbed the crutch and balanced on it, his moving looked awkward at this point, but movement is movement.

Edited by SlaveBlade

Teis

"As was I."

Teis made no effort to acknowledge the three newcomers, except to incline his head slightly in greetings. "I have some ah... personal business to conduct down there, so it would do me some good to know that I was helping someone out at the same time."

"Yep, I'll be fine!" She wrapped the cloth back over the wound, and followed the two to the church. Once there, she childishly stuck her tongue out at Ormis, and stayed quiet while the priest spoke.

-----

Man, if only you KNEW who was standing in front of you. I think the irony would kill you. It took all Adrian could muster to stop himself from laughing at the man as he spoke about Riya as if she was a farmer's tale. She was real enough. "Yeah, I kinda fell down a mountain... I was lucky enough to get away with just spraining my ankle, but, it would really be appreciated if you could heal if for me, kind sir." He was as polite as possible, hiding his laughter. "I can help with those people you mentioned as well. I'm not terrible with a sword." Or a ladle.

(Note beforehand: I have no idea so this is probably screwed up, but whatever)

Elune

Surely it wasn't THIS bad... She'd been feeling unwell this entire time as they travelled, not knowing what was going on at all. She only realised what was happening as they entered Varthas.

As the group travelled through the town, she couldn't take it anymore. She turned around on her horse, not caring who followed her, and made straight for one part of the town she had never been to, even as a child, where she had walked through most of the town at one point or another. She had never been there before, but she had to go now.

Danyon

He'd gotten enough info. He left the inn and started taking a walk, trying to make sense of it all. When he felt composed enough, he decided to go to the church. He hadn't prayed for several weeks, and though he wasn't a very devout follower in the goddess, he still believed in her. It was his... duty? to go once in a while, at least.

Edited by JBCWK

Why don't you and I have a feast together, then?

"Umm... I.. I-I really shouldn't c-couldn't uh... I m-mean..." Her face was flushed again as she gaped at him, not sure what to say. She was in the middle of pouring water a glass of water for herself, and accidentally over poured due to her cognitive functions malfunctioning. "A-Ack! Sorry, I-I'll clean that up!" her voice squeaked again, and she mopped up the spill with a piece of her tattered tunic. It was pretty much in rags after the battle with the dragon, and the darn thing was practically flaking off. This particular piece ended up getting torn off, since it was only hanging by a few threads, anyway. Waste not, want not, Mama always said. She pretended to be immersed within her scrubbing technique when in reality, she was just trying to hide her further embarrassment. Seilynda, stop being so stupid! Don't get your hopes up! What's so great about you, anyway? You're just a clumsy little unattractive urchin! You're of age to be married, and you still look just like a child! He's just being kind to you, like he is with everyone else; don't think of this as special treatment!

"You're... already involved with them...?" The priest wondered aloud before chanting again to heal Adrian's injuries. "If that's true then I fear for your life. And as far as you all wanting to go, I don't know why you're telling me this, I'm not offering a reward, though you may want to go check in at a local guild for that since they might be, unless you're just asking for a place to stay for when you inevitably come crawling back... I mean no offense to your abilities, but they're not just some common bandits or ruffians. They're organized, they have a goal, and they're violent. I just want you to know this before you go, if you decide to go."

Hmph... "Thank you, father. We'll take that into consideration." With his foot healed, Carrion let him go so he could balance on his own again. Now she was more wondering when they'd go. "Sir" she spoke to Teis, "When were you going? I would assume immediately, but can you wait before heading out? We need to grab something to eat, desperately..."

---

Grant was honestly confused by the girl's actions, and he was almost afraid to speak up, simply watching her for a minute trying to clean up a simple mess. "Uh... Seilynda? You alright? I... think it's dry now..." He moved closer to her, his crutch giving him a hard time. He tapped her shoulder. "You alright, dear? You're acting awfully strange right now. Did I do something?" He was confused by this behavior, and he'd like to get to the bottom of it (in more ways than one, giggity).

Edited by SlaveBlade

Elune

She recognised this part of Varthas, if only a little. Miss Meiger's old cake shop was still standing, as was Mr. D's blacksmith. Everything else, however, had changed. The shops all looked different, the street had different paving, and the site of Elune's house before it was burned down was now replaced by a souvenir shop. Still, she didn't really care anymore about this place. It wasn't like anyone here would recognise her.

A little bit more, Mother... A few turns later, Elune got off her horse and tied it to a post. Her hands shaking, she slowly walked into the town cemetery.

Both

"I give you my word that I will return no worse than I am, father. There is a man that I am seeking that I believe to be involved with such a group, and he will not escape my wrath."

Teis turned to Carrion. "I was planning to leave immediately, but if you wish me to stay, I shall wait. I intend to bring this child with me," he said, indicating Ormis, "because if nothing else, he makes a good diversion."

"Well, after you... did it, you'd taken a couple of hits and passed out. I thought about taking you back but we followed Grant and the others anyway. Grant seems to have lost his leg to a dragon, I was too slow catching up. Anyway, we're in Varthas right now. Priest girl's pretty out of it, and we'll have to see how Grant's doing. How about we go to breakfast? Don't worry, after a small sale, I'll have enough for the both of us."

She remembered that she passed out in Aurelio's arms at the end.

"Right...Sorry about, you know, grabbing you like that. I was just so overwhelmed." She felt a rumble in her stomach too. She hadn't eaten in well over a day. "I agree, we should get some food. And if you're concerned about money," she held up Tyalis and Queen. "I have this one covered."

--

"Anastasia...she tried to kill you. She left for Miyako and gave birth to a child."

The words of the old swordsman rung in Adano's head all those years later. "My child..." He mumbled to himself as he hobbled along the roads of Ayreh. He had arrived a day ago from Gerhelva, and was planning on looking for his child here. His shoulder armor and boots made clanking noises at every step as his lance guided him along the way.

Stopping for a few moments to catch his breath, he looked around the city. It was fairly busy at this time of day, as many people were out shopping their daily groceries. The children played in the streets as their parents bargained for the produce that was in season. He reveled in the peace that existed here, wishing he could stay longer. But his gold was not endless, and he wanted to meet his child.

Hopefully I don't run into Anastasia.

Adrian grimaced, as his ankle pulled itself and the muscles back into place during the healing. He'd never figured something so holy would be so painful, but it was over fairly quickly. He graciously took to standing, finally glad that he could be free of the pain. "Riya, next time we go down a mountain side, can we go slowly? Ha ha." It was an experience he wasn't soon to want to relive. Of course, their attention was now focused on Teis and Ormis, the latter of the two Adrian would rather leave at the town. He's just too much baggage, and a liability. We can't trust that he won't go postal on Riya halfway into our little 'trip'.

-----

"Uh, no no no, we're not bringing that brat along. He'll try and get his petty revenge on Carrion here, and we can't trust him to be civil about it for the entire time." Amera was voicing Adrian's mental concerns, and after her fight with the kid, she'd rather not have to deal with him more. She was rather put off by how he'd dealt with the situation at the inn.

Both

"Then you will not begrudge me for leaving before you. As I am intending to bring the boy with me, and I have no desire to wait, and it is only on account of this girl's request that I am still here at all. Judging from the injuries you inflicted on him, I have no doubt that you do not require my assistance in this matter. I am only after one man, you may deal with the rest on your own if you so please."

Teis spoke coldly, as he'd found himself rejecting the thought of leaving the boy behind. Truth be told, Teis was starting to like him. He was loud, and obnoxious, but there was something in the boy's eyes and speech that told of a determination that got his (Teis's) own adrenaline flowing. Teis would never admit it, but having the kid with him would give him a pretty big confidence boost.

Right as that thought passed through Teis's head, Ormis sat up, apparently having been listening to the entire conversation.

"Hey, you're not leaving me behind. I wouldn't miss this for anything!"

Ormis, in fact, had been awake from the moment Scarlet, Adrian and Amera came in. He'd almost shown it when they mentioned doing something about it earlier, but it was obvious that they wouldn't appreciate the interruption. "Besides, even if you guys leave without me, it's not like I can't travel on my own."

Teis sighed. "Alright, kid, looks like they don't want us with them. Just... try and keep your head until AFTER we get this job done. The last thing I need now is to bail your life out AGAIN."

With that, he turned on his heel and walked out, Ormis following him eagerly.

Edited by Camtech075

"You alright, dear? You're acting awfully strange right now. Did I do something?"

Seilynda yelped, practically jumped, and stood up straight. She ended up facing him, yelping again, and nearly fell backwards onto the table. Luckily, she saved herself (and breakfast) by grabbing the edge of said table, but ended up leaning backwards on it awkwardly. Oh golly, I really AM transparent! Ahh, he's too close! Did he just call me 'dear'? Does this mean I CAN get in over my head? AHHHHH, SHUT UP, HEART, YOU'RE THUMPING TOO LOUD! And you, brain, stop trying to convince me to believe in the impossible; I won't have it! "I-I'm fine! N-Nothing wrong with m-me! Nothing a-at all! It's just..." she fiddled with the piece of cloth in her hands, "I-I'm just... um.. inexplicably... embarr... assed? Um... k-kinda sorta r-really shy? U-Umm... haven't r-really felt this way b-before so I can't explain it?"

It was at this point that Carrion noticed Adrian kept calling her Riya, so she brought him closer so she could speak to him alone, "Adrian... Please, please stop using that name. It's Carrion now, got it?" And with that, she went off to go grab some food. Unfortunately for them both, Bread and some dried meat would be all they got. At least it was plentiful for how much Adrian had on him, and portable. After that, she went in Teis' direction.

---

Aiduen awoke with a yawn and a stretch, the cold hard ground surprisingly comfortable to her. It sure beat wasting money at an inn, she thought. The sun was in full view, forcing her to shift her hat to block it accordingly, but nothing major. "Arc, get up, we slept in too long, again..." She shoved her brother quite hard to get him awake, learning from past times that anything less would leave the man unmoving. When both were up and ready to go, Arcen taking his sweet time to spite his sister, they went for the Inn at Varthas. The food there was cheap and you don't need to buy a room to get the services, so they went ahead and slept outside of town last night to be petty penny pinchers. They walked in and had their meal, listening to many of the patrons going on and on about Grant. Arcen smiled. He'd have to go talk to him at some point, but he seemed busy, and Arc wanted some food.

---

Grant was taken aback by the reaction he got, though he had to admit she was awfully cute flustered like that. "Why're you so embarrassed? I mean, damn, you just went through an ordeal like last night, taking down a reasonably large dragon, and you've got room to be embarressed? Hahahaa... I like that, that's actually quite adorable of you, you know that?" He was actually kind of envious of her, still holding the qualities of a child.

Edited by SlaveBlade

Elune

It took a few minutes of searching, but she finally found her mother's grave. She tried to compose herself, to at least say a few words, but it was tough to get it out. When she started to speak, she was almost about to cry already.

"H-Hey, Mum... It's me, El- Legretta. It's been 15 years already, and... I... I don't know, Mum. I've tried... tried to avenge you, because you shouldn't be dead, and... I just hope you're there, alright? I'm... sorry..."

The tears were starting to fall down her cheeks already. She slowly walked away from the cemetery, wiping away tears she had not cried since she was 13. She got on her horse and rode away, not caring about her next destination.

Danyon

As he approached the church, he saw them again, leaving now. With what he knew now, he had to find out more, and at the worst, he'd get into a damn good fight.

"You're the Crimson Witch, aren't you?"

Gideon

Lazarynth, finally. Gideon had seen more than enough of Shuthra to know what to expect from the heartland; it was very reassuring to be at a border castle. With any luck, something fun would pop up there, and he could break the rut he was in. Manual labor was getting repetitive...maybe he could work in a pub when he got there?

A loud growl rose from his stomach, driving the corners of his mouth further into a scowl. "Shaddup, I get it," he grumbled in the general direction of his feet.

As he trudged towards the gate, Gideon quickly picked up his feet and straightened his posture, keeping from making eye contact with either of the guards. By now, the guards in Shuthra didn't seem to notice that he was Lusian - he learned how to hide that from old man Fish when he was a kid. It mostly entailed not decrying Krians as witches, which he never did anyway, so he barely drew attention. The problem was convincing them that he wasn't there to steal. He never quite changed his look back from 'shifty guy with an axe' and it was becoming an issue.

"Hold," the guard barked at him, walking between him and the gate of the fortress. "State your business."

Gideon blinked in surprise - did they suddenly care, now that he was at the border? "Just looking for a place to sleep," he said carefully, his baritone ringing harshly in the man's ear. It was pretty clear to anyone who listened carefully that the axeman was less than happy right now, even if he didn't feel like picking fights. "I know what you're thinking, and no, I'm not here to cause trouble," Gideon added. Maybe it was a bad idea to pre-empt that, but he was sick of being accosted. "I'm just a guy with a rusty axe who's hungry and tired. There a law against that?"

The guard frowned and arched an eyebrow. Uncooperative did not begin to describe this punk. "Mind your tongue," he growled, folding his arms. "I didn't suspect you, but I'll thank you not to be so curt with me. Now, where do you hail from?"

"Indolcure," Gideon replied mechanically. He had recited this line of answers many times before. "I came here by way of Varthas."

This person didn't seem too dangerous, despite his rudeness and angry expression. "Fine," the guard said, walking out of Gideon's way. "Stay out of trouble."

About damn time, he thought to himself as he passed with a nod. Local guards pissed Gideon off. They always flaunted their power like they could arrest you at any time for any reason, and they asked a lot of stupid questions. Besides, how could they even stand guard all day? Wouldn't they get tired of it? He shook his head to clear his mental ramblings and trudged forward. Now to find a place where he could get something to eat. And if living in Lushira for seventeen years taught him anything, it was that the religious are always willing to part with a bit of food if you looked pathetic enough. Gideon's scowl melted into a knowing smirk as he began to walk towards the church at the end of the road. Nothing was more satisfying than having other people care for him out of the goodness of their hearts...

Both

Teis walked away fast, not wanting to wait for the kid. If anything else, the kid would catch up at the gate.

Ormis wasn't so sure. Teis was moving pretty fast, and Ormis had to jog to keep up. In one area, the crowd became rather thick, and he lost sight of Teis temporarily. Still jogging, he tried to locate the knight when he crashed into a huge man, probably a good 100 pounds heavier than himself (Ormis). It didn't look like he (the man) was in a good mood.

"Oh, um... sorry?"

Edited by Camtech075

"Oh, yeah... Sorry." He'd not realized it himself, force of habit after spending that time talking to Faye. Rather than piss the girl off further, though, he made a mental note to start using Carrion. His attention glazed over to a man outside the church, though. He looked rather fancy, and was decked in... Wait a second, that's the man from the inn.

"You're the Crimson Witch, aren't you?"

The look on Adrian's face was not one of surprise, fear, or terror, but simply one of dull, bored, unimpressed eyes and mouth. Either this man knows what he's getting himself into, or we're going to have to deal with a very annoying road bump.

-----

"G'bye, don't come back soon, please~" Amera was glad to see Ormis leave. He was being a prat, and an uncooperative one at that. Though, it seemed someone even more annoying had stepped into their path, and was now addressing Carrion as The Crimson Witch. She cracked her knuckles, smiling a bit. Even though she'd just fought, taking another whack at some unsuspecting tool would brighten her day. At least, it'd make her feel better after having dealt with 'the stubborn wonder' from earlier.

As Gideon weaved his way through the crowd, an exasperated groan escaped him - why did there have to be a crowd out at this time of day? If he didn't get to the church in time, they'd close down their charity services for the day and he'd have to spend the last of his money on food. And he had to hold onto it as long as possible.

Out of nowhere, some kid coming from the other end of the crowd barreled into Gideon, knocking him back a step. He was pretty small, so it didn't do much in the way of pushing Gideon back. Still, this was more than a bit inconvenient...

"Oh, um... sorry?" came the kid's voice from the ground. How fast was he going, that he knocked HIMSELF down?

Gideon folded his arms and scowled at him, narrowing his icy blue eyes. "What the hell made you think it was a good idea to charge through a crowd?" he asked, his tone incredulous. It was moronic of him. It hardly mattered who he was going after. That just wasn't a smart thing to do. "Whatever, just don't get trampled," he said as he took a step around the boy - and stopped. His eyes widened; where was the jingle? The coins in his pocket had a distinct jingle as he walked into town, and that jingle was gone. His left hand shot into his pocket. Empty. Did he...

His eyes sparked with rage and he pulled the kid up by his collar. "I hope you're proud of yourself," he hissed, glaring at the kid. "You just knocked my wallet loose!" It was true - his pocket felt empty. There wasn't a jingle. Okay, maybe he didn't have a wallet at all, but his money was still gone! "Because your dumb ass couldn't slow down, I'm gonna sleep on the street tonight!" And by now, the church was probably close to packing up its charity stuff - they didn't keep it running out here as long as they did in Lushira - so he would go hungry, too, unless this kid could compensate him.

No. It wasn't worth it to bully this kid. He got pity cash from people before; he could do it again. "Dammit, it doesn't matter," he growled, letting the kid go and sighing. "Watch where you walk from now on, alright?" With that, he began to weave his way out of the crowd. If the church wasn't still open...

Edited by Anti-Social Knight

Both

Teis saw Ormis get waylaid out of the corner of his eye. He mentally sighed, that kid was a trouble magnet. The knight was about to intervene when the man seemed to think better of it and put Ormis down. Teis sighed for real this time, and walked over. The guy looked... poor and hungry, and Teis didn't have the heart to just watch him walk away.

"Watch where you walk from now on, alright?"

Ormis would have responded, and he was already reaching for his sword, but then the guy put him down and walked away. Annoyed (as well as slightly confused), he noticed Teis walking towards the man, who was already most of the way out of the crowd in the direction of the church. Ormis was about to ask what the hell the knight was doing, but he had already caught up to the large man.

"Excuse me, sir. I don't mean to intrude, but I believe I heard you talking about going to the church? I'm afraid to tell you that they're fairly busy today, and the priest on duty is probably already flooded with requests. I'm terribly sorry about my... companion. He's... more than slightly clumsy."

((Gah, feels clunky. Just so there's no confusion, Teis is speaking to Gideon, Ormis is watching Teis.))

Edited by Camtech075