Quick question about activation rates.

Just wondered about how the game calculates the chance of activating some skills. The main site gives out the formula but makes no mention of which skills can co-activate and which cannot. I know sword skills can't activate at the same time so what exactly is the order? I know Shooting Star is first but what about Luna and Sol? (And also, what about the unused Holy and Darkness sword skills?). Are they calculated before tthe hit is calculated or would it be possible to hit a target with 0% chance of hitting if you activate a sword skill?

Also, when are critical able to activate? Is it hit before crit or the opposite? Can they activate at the same time as Shooting Star or Sol? And can continue activate with any sword skills or critical?

And is it just me or is Luna pretty useless if you have Critical? It has the same activation rate and Critical will always do more damage.

I know this is a lot of questions, but any help would be very appreciated.

I think almost every skill not a swordskill can co-activate. Not entirely sure about the order: IIRC, it's Shooting Star -> Luna -> Sol?

Crit before hit, I think. Swordskills can critical, yes. Continue can activate off everything, but it won't necessarily be another critical or swordskill. Think of it like Adept (if you've played FE9/10), but with a better activation rate.

Well, Luna ignores defense entirely. Critical doubles attack first, but then factors defense back in, Say you're using Holyn!Patty- more likely than not, Luna will be more beneficial because her attack is really bad. You can also activate both, so two chances of extra damage if you're using someone with both.

Hope that helps.

Thing is, most research about skill order only considers the combinations found ingame. For instance, if you look here (and know hiragana), you'll see they put Luna and Sol in the same instance... because no unit can have both skills in vanilla FE4. Same goes for unimplemented skills. Also, as seen there, Continue doesn't work with Astra (even though Hero weaponry does), but works with the other skills.

Critical activates independently from other skills; it's very easy to see a Luna critical if you send Holyn to the arena with a 100-kill sword. (However, you don't get a "double critical" by, say, attacking a dragon with a 100-kill bow.)

I thought Critical in FE4 only doubled damage (whereas FE5 doubled attack).

Nope. It doubles attack in FE4.