stuff i made

Agro

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks astel although you haven't told me much i don't already know!!!

kalathmoving_zpsa6645912.gif

in other news, more frames

now i can move on to the other 50 backlogged requests

Whoa...

I almost died from staring at that movement animation.

Is the side movement animation close armor intended to have nearly pure white (or is that gray?) shade instead of more blue on it?

Can you post a sheet of the map sprite(if you're even open to crit for it)?

I think there's something wrong with the--

And I'm stupid. I have screencap.

Yeah, the body's turned to the left a bit when walking towards us. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

That sounds like testicles.

Not counting the drums, the song starts out with a 2 part harmony(I'm assuming that's one instrument or two of the same), a lead, and a high flute thing.

For god sake man, pan and lower the volumes of the 2 harmonizing parts and the riffing flute thing. It's a nightmare D:

[spoiler=Explanation]In more technical terms, the harmony and flute are badly interfering with the lead. The lead, harmony, and flute are all playing in that same general area as far as pitch goes, so...it sounds like an undefined mess.

I mentioned panning because it would add some separation. I mean, if the harmonizing duo was like, an octave lower than it would sound okay. Lowering the volume helps too.

Like if you've ever heard Serenes Emblem's theme song like, over a year ago, I forgot to pan...anything but it didn't sound so bad. A lead brass played the melody, an generic software synth midi guitar played chords, and a barely noticeable mediocre string sample played this high riff in the background, not interrupting the lead.

If you meant for the beginning to sound like a mish mash though, then just lower the volumes of those instruments at least so they're not so much louder than the lead that plays alone afterwards.

After that when the bass kicks in, some badly sampled GBA Fire Emblem string ensemble starts playing a melody way too quietly, and keeps being rudely interrupted from the flute from before, which is still way too fackin loud.

By the way, let me do a roll call for a sec.

[spoiler=piss]-high jamming flute

-instrument that kinda sounds like a flute, playing a simpler part

-harmonizing brass duo(may or may not be 2 instruments)

-cranky strings playing a melody

-distortion guitar(using the phrase VERY loosely)

-bass guitar

-timpani

-standard drum kit

-dark drum kit's toms

FE on the GBA refuses to play more than 8 tracks. Assuming the brass duo is one track, you can't have those toms play unless you add the toms to the standard drum kit

WELL in my defense I didn't write the thing but I'll address each point accordingly

In more technical terms, the harmony and flute are badly interfering with the lead. The lead, harmony, and flute are all playing in that same general area as far as pitch goes, so...it sounds like an undefined mess.

I'll pass that on to Ken.

For god sake man, pan and lower the volumes of the 2 harmonizing parts and the riffing flute thing. It's a nightmare D:

I thiiiiink I already told you that ZSE doesn't support panning, at least not for FE7 native instruments, so unfortunately that's out of my control. The flute thing is a harp, by the way. I actually lowered the volume already, but I made the MP3 out of an older WAV because I got a little lazy and couldn't be bothered re-recording.

FE on the GBA refuses to play more than 8 tracks. Assuming the brass duo is one track, you can't have those toms play unless you add the toms to the standard drum kit

I'm not sure what you're talking about here? I never used more than one drum kit. There's three in FE7: the electrical sounding one, the standard (rock) one, and the "orchestral" one, which doesn't have toms but it has snare roll.

Oh, you're saying I can't have all the instruments because it exceeds 8 tracks? Wrong, sorry. That's easy to work around. You technically shouldn't be using any more than 7 tracks anyhow, since that will make a track cut out whenever sound effects play.

oh and this:

Yeah, the body's turned to the left a bit when walking towards us. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

I suppose it was intentional, I actually just stole the thing from an existing semi-unused map sprite.

How the fack did you get Mixcraft you wealthy bastard angry_dark_stare_meme_face_postcard-p239030377919530072en8ki_210.jpg

I'm not sure what you're talking about here? I never used more than one drum kit. There's three in FE7: the electrical sounding one, the standard (rock) one, and the "orchestral" one, which doesn't have toms but it has snare roll.

I meant that in the recording, I heard the standard drum kit, but I also heard toms, which are exclusive to the drum kit used in the one used in Nergal's battle theme unless you added the toms to the standard drum kit.

Also for future reference, FE7 has 6 drum kits (that I know of). A standard drum kit, another standard drum kit that's very similar but may or may not have some sounds the first didn't have, an orchestral drum kit, the drum kit used in nergal's battle theme, a drum kit with bongos, and a drum kit with congas and a couple sounds effects which was used for Serra's theme song(and Cath in FE6).

On another unrelated note

*reads topic*

...Agro, Anvil studio has supported instrument changes in midis for years. Repeat after me: "Edit=>Insert MIDI Event..."

Mixcraft is a music mixing/producing program. As awesome as it is, you're over-complicating things by using it to edit midi files instead of using Anvil Studio.

That is, unless Mc makes it easier to insert pitch bend events.

How the fack did you get Mixcraft you wealthy bastard

do what you want cos a pirate is free

you are a pirate

(though truth be told I could probably afford it anyhow)

*reads topic*

...Agro, Anvil studio has supported instrument changes in midis for years. Repeat after me: "Edit=>Insert MIDI Event..."

Mixcraft is a music mixing/producing program. As awesome as it is, you're over-complicating things by using it to edit midi files instead of using Anvil Studio.

That is, unless Mc makes it easier to insert pitch bend events.

Mixcraft makes it extremely easy to do just about everything. You can cut/paste tracks without actually having to make more program changes (good for reducing tracks to 7 tracks), change velocity really easily (much better for making echo notes), make loops, blah blah, blah blah... I find it much more user-friendly than Anvil, and a hell of a lot faster.

For the purposes of actual percussion instruments, FE7 has 3 drum kits. The conga/bongos are in just about all of them, there's two sets of toms (indeed, the ones used in Nergal's theme, and Rise to the Challenge, for example), then there's the main theme, which has no toms, but a drum roll and a weird cymbal thing.

• 4 months later...

armourknightstanding_zps9388a461.gifarmourknightselect_zps06ce4d5f.gif

Very slight change to the old standing frame... and take a look at the new selected one! Only 4 months late! Yaaaaay! I think I still need to knock out some colours though. It's heavily based off Dei's armour knight battle sprite, so credit goes to him for that.

edit: the sheet

armourknightsheet_zpse399d707.png

Edited by Agro

• 3 weeks later...

It was just something I started doing. You just look at whatever existing sprites there are and study what makes them tick, I guess?

also shrinking the battlesprites and drawing over them helps

• 3 weeks later...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51331815/FE5%20-%20Close%20to%20Defeat.mp3

Well, since I now use the ELF method to insert songs, I can use ye olde SPC2MIDI midis and not get in trouble with them. This is the result. Maybe one day I'll do the whole thing, but this was mainly an experiment.

Nice flowing panning on the contrabass there (even though it makes no sense from a realistic standpoint unless the basses were performing on a truck)

I know, but it IS an exact replica of the original, so... BLAME TSUJIYOKO