The Resistance 2

Tables

[spoiler=fluff]The Empire must fall. Our mission must succeed. By destroying their key bases, we will shatter Imperial strength and liberate our people. Yet spies have infiltrated our ranks, ready for sabotage. We must unmask them. In five nights we reshape destiny or die trying. We are the Resistance!

The Resistance is a party game of social deduction. It is designed for five to ten players, lasts about 30 minutes, and has no player elimination. The Resistance is inspired by Mafia/Werewolf, yet it is unique in its core mechanics which increase the resources for informed decisions, intensify player interaction, and eliminate player elimination.

Players are either Resistance Operatives or Imperial Spies. For three to five rounds, they must depend on each other to carry out missions against the Empire. At the same time, they must try to deduce the other players’ identities and gain their trust. Each round begins with discussion. When ready, the Leader entrusts sets of Plans to a certain number of players. Everyone votes on whether or not to approve the assignment. Once an assignment passes, the chosen players secretly decide to Support or Sabotage the mission. Based on the results, the mission succeeds (Resistance win) or fails (Empire win). When a team wins three missions, they have won the game.

Welcome to The Resistance 2. The above gives a brief overview of the game. Of course, being a forum game it's going to last significantly longer than 30 minutes (probably over a month) and depending on the number of signups could well be 7 rounds long, to ensure there's sufficient information.

The Resistance is a simple, mafia style team game, with a focus on information and deductions as well as reading people's behaviours. Each round is split into multiple phases: First the leader (who changes each round) chooses people for the mission. Then, people vote to approve or reject the mission. If rejected, leadership moves around to the next person. If approved, then each person chooses to complete the mission, or if they're a spy, may choose to sabotage the mission. A sabotaged mission is a success for the spies, while no sabotage is a success for the rebels. The first team to score a majority of successes wins the game.

That's an outline of the game. Here's some more in-depth rules, for your reading pleasure.

[spoiler=rules]The game is NOC, which includes the spies (they may not communicate via PM). No communicating via direct code is allowed. That being said, the spies may want to try and drop hints about who should do what in their messages if they think it'll help, but of course should be very subtle - if they aren't, they may just sell out both themselves and a friend.

At the start of the game, each player is told they're either a rebel or a spy. Rebels know nothing more than they are rebels, spies know all the other Spies. They do NOT have outside contact with the other spies, they just know their identities. Also randomised at this point is the player order, which is essentially how leadership moves around the group.

Also announced at the start of the game will be the number of spies, the number of resistance, and the number of operatives needed on each mission (this depends only on the mission number, e.g. with 5 players there are 2 spies, 3 resistance and the missions need 2-3-2-3-3 people, that is, the first and third missions need 2 people, while the 2nd, 4th and 5th need all 3 resistance members)

At the start of each round the leader (who is known publicly) has 24 hours (this can be extended to 48 on request) to propose a team. This team MAY include themselves, but MAY choose not to (there are good reasons for why both may be good ideas).

After the team has been proposed, each person must privately vote yes or no to the proposal. After 24 hours, everyone's votes will be revealed and totalled (in other words, everyone makes the choice to vote yes/no and reveals it at the same time - so people will know how you voted). If you don't vote, your vote will be randomised. The leader does also vote, and in fact sometimes may want to vote no himself. If there is a majority decision saying yes, then the mission goes ahead. If there is no majority yes, then the vote fails and leadership passes on to the next person.

Be careful - if the resistance votes no 5 times on a single mission, then the resistance collapses due to a lack of strong leadership and the spies win! (Therefore, always vote yes on the 5th mission proposal).

Once the team has been decided, the mission moves on to the mission phase. Here, all of the chosen people for the mission must choose whether to support the mission (pass) or sabotage it (fail). This is done secretly, and who chose what is not made public - just the number of sabotages is revealed. Each operative on the mission has 24 hours to make their choice - spies may choose to sabotage or support the mission, while resistance MUST choose to support it. After 24 hours have passed, all operatives (including spies) will be assumed to support the mission.

Finally, the results of the mission are revealed, leadership passes on to the next person, and the next mission starts.

Depending on the number of players, the penultimate (or otherwise) mission may require two sabotage cards in order to fail,. If this is the case, it will be made explicitly clear from the start.

The resistance win by succeeding on over half of the missions. The spies win by sabotaging over half of the missions.

If you enjoy this game, I highly advise you buy it! Okay, this slightly infringes on advertising, but to be honest, this is a commercial game you're playing for free. The game itself is inexpensive (about $15 IIRC) and you get a set of good quality components. It's like playing Mafia IRL, but easier, quicker, with no moderator and it's more about information than reading people's faces. So if you do like the game, supporting the developers is definitely recommended.

Note that The Resistance has no player elimination - in fact, even if a spy is known, they can direct the other spies publicly with suggestions or advice, or can keep denying the evidence, if they can think of an alternate suggestion.

This link is recommended to read before the game. In particular: The resistance should by default vote no to a mission unless they're reasonably confident in it. This is because the more rounds of voting there are, the more you can see block patterns emerging, and the more information is available. This becomes truer later in the game, when both sides are more desperate for the points. Also note, if everyone votes no for a mission, what does that mean? Well, if the spies (who hold all the information) don't want it to happen, it's probably clean. What if everyone votes yes? Well then, chances are it's got a spy on it as even the spies like it.

Here is the mission roster:

Mission 1: 4 operatives

Mission 2: 5 operatives

Mission 3: 5 operatives

Mission 4: 6 operatives*

Final Mission: 6 operatives

*Requires TWO fail cards from spies to fail - mission passes if there is only one.

There are 4 spies. Those of you good at basic arithmetic will deduce there are 7 resistance operatives

Signups (order randomised - first leader at the top):

Darros

JBCWK Snikitty

zorbees

Balcerzak Pariah

Kirsche

Radiant Kitty 13thshadow

Lightning Eclipse

Kiku-Ichimonji

SlayerX

Paperkitty

Psych

Subs:

Paraiah

Your role PMs are going out now. There are two forms:

[spoiler=role PMs]

You are a resistance operative

pic866462_t.jpg

You win if the resistance succeed on 3 missions. You lose if the spies sabotage 3 missions

You are a spy

pic866471_t.jpg

The four spies are:

W

X

Y

Z

You win if the spies successfully sabotage 3 missions. You lose if the resistance complete 3 missions

Edited by Tableskitty

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mission Proposal 1.1 by Spykitty

Team: Spykitty, JBCWK, Kiku-Ichimonji, Paperkitty

Yes: Kiku-Ichimonji

No: Spykitty, JBCWK, zorbees, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, Luka Mefeline, SlayerX, Paperkitty, Psych

Result: Yes - 1, No - 10

Proposal Fails

Mission Proposal 1.2 by JBCWK

Team: JBCWK, Balcerzak, Paperkitty, Psych

Yes: zorbees, Luka Mefeline, Kiku-Ichimonji

No: Spykitty, JBCWK, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty, Psych

Result: Yes - 3, No - 8

Proposal Fails

Mission Proposal 1.3 by zorbees

Team: Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, SlayerX

Yes: Kiku-Ichimonji

No: Spykitty, JBCWK, zorbees, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, Luka M, SlayerX, Paperkitty, Psych

Proposal Fails

Mission Proposal 1.4 by Balcerzak

Team: zorbees, Balcerzak, Luka Mefeline, SlayerX

Yes: Darros, JBCWK, zorbees, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX

No: Radiant Kitty, Luka M, Paperkitty, Psych

Result: Yes - 7, No - 4

Proposal Passes.

Mission 1

Mission 1 result

Co-operate - 4, Sabotage - 0

Mission succeeds. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 0

Mission Proposal 2.1 by Kirsche

Team: zorbees, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty

Yes: Balcerzak

No: Darros, JBCWK, zorbees, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty, Psych

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 2.2 by Radiant Kitty

Team: Darros, Kirsche, Balcerzak, Radiant Kitty, Paperkitty

Yes: JCBWK

No: Darros, zorbees, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty, Psych

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 2.3 by ClipseyKitty

Team: zorbees, Balcerzak, Radiant Kitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, Paperkitty

Yes: SlayerX, Paperkitty

No: Darros, JCBWK, zorbees, Balcerzak, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, Psych

Result: Yes - 2, No - 9

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 2.4 by Kiku-Ichimonji

Team: Snikitty, zorbees, Pariah, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX

Yes: Pariah, Radiant Kitty, Clipseykitty

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees ,Kirsche, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 2.5 by SlayerX

Team: kirsche, Snikitty, Radiant Kitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty

Proposal autopasses as the 5th proposal.

Mission 2 result

Co-operate - 4

Sabotage - 1

Mission fails. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 1

Mission Proposal 3.1 by Paperkitty

Team: zorbees, Pariah, Radiant Kitty, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip

Yes: zorbees, Radiant Kitty, Kiku-Ichimonji

No: Darros, Snikitty, Pariah, Kirsche, Clipseykitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 3.2 by arachnidsGrip

Team: Kirsche, Pariah, Radiant Kitty, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip

Yes: Kiku-Ichimonji,

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees, Kay, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip,

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 3.3 by Darros

Team: Snikitty, ClipseyKitty, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip,

Yes:

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees, Kay, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip,

Result: Yes - 0, No - 11

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 3.4 by Snikitty

Team: Snikitty, zorbees, Kay, Radiant Kitty, arachnidsGrip,

Yes: Kirsche, Radiant Kitty,

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees, Kay, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty, arachnidsGrip,

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 3.5 by zorbees

Team: zorbees, Pariah, SlayerX, Radiant Dragon, Kiku-Ichimonji

Proposal autopasses as the 5th proposal.

Mission 3 result

Co-operate - 4

Sabotage - 1

Mission fails. Score is now Resistance - 1, Spy - 2

Mission Proposal 4.1 by Kay

Team: zorbees, Kay, Kirsche, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, Paperkitty,

Yes: Kay, arachnidsGrip,

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees, Kirsche, Radiant Kitty, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty,

Proposal Fails.

Mission Proposal 4.2 by 13thshadow

Team: Snikitty, zorbees, 13thshadow, ClipseyKitty, Kiku-Ichimonji, Paperkitty,

Yes: 13thshadow, ClipseyKitty, arachnidsGrip,

No: Darros, Snikitty, zorbees, Kay, Kirsche, Kiku-Ichimonji, SlayerX, Paperkitty,

Proposal Fails.

Edited by Tableskitty

Hey guys. Jeez, I hate doing the first mission. Because there's no evidence or really anything of someone being a spy or not. So talk and stuff.

I propose, that to get as much information from failed proposals as possible, that the proposer and the four people following him on the list vote "No" for the first four proposals, while the other six vote their heart. Odds are extremely good that one of the six will also vote "No", and this gives us a large possible pool of votes from the remaining members, to add to our knowledge base.

If someone has a better proposal, though, I would certainly be happy to hear it.

I don't think we should automatically reject the 4th proposal, as I don't think being forced to accept could ever be a good thing.

Extremely good point there. I don't know how I got carried away in trying to maximize the information gain that I forgot leader 5 could very well be a spy.

Are you seeing any other worthy modifications?

Hey guys. Jeez, I hate doing the first mission. Because there's no evidence or really anything of someone being a spy or not. So talk and stuff.

You know, I would love to be in your situation. Because then nobody can complain about my selection since I'd essentially be expected to pick four random people and send them over.

I propose, that to get as much information from failed proposals as possible, that the proposer and the four people following him on the list vote "No" for the first four proposals, while the other six vote their heart. Odds are extremely good that one of the six will also vote "No", and this gives us a large possible pool of votes from the remaining members, to add to our knowledge base.

If someone has a better proposal, though, I would certainly be happy to hear it.

*finds an old note saying "Don't trust zak in Resistance"*

Okay, seriously now, I'm not sure I see how that would help. If five people fix their vote on No, a single extra No would cancel that mission. And the only reason anyone would vote No is because they'd suspect a spy to be in the selection, and they can easily express their suspicion of that spy without having to actually vote for it.

You know, I would love to be in your situation. Because then nobody can complain about my selection since I'd essentially be expected to pick four random people and send them over.

Why doesn't he just do this. He can't really have any consequences against him due to no information...

Oh, I Eat Tables:

Final Mission: 6 operatives

*Requires TWO fail cards from spies to fail - mission passes if there is only one.

Does this mean there MUST be at least two spies for this mission to fail?

Also, Sub's List, it's spelled "Pariah".

Okay, seriously now, I'm not sure I see how that would help. If five people fix their vote on No, a single extra No would cancel that mission. And the only reason anyone would vote No is because they'd suspect a spy to be in the selection, and they can easily express their suspicion of that spy without having to actually vote for it.

Did you not read the strategy links that IET included? The main reason to vote No is because you need to find more information on who is a spy and who isn't. Voting Yes incredibly early in the game is very idiotic.

Did you not read the strategy links that IET included? The main reason to vote No is because you need to find more information on who is a spy and who isn't. Voting Yes incredibly early in the game is very idiotic.

Actually the article says its more random whether to vote y/n in the first mission than way later in the game.

Oh, yeah, I understand zak's plan now. But like somebody already pointed out, the forced Nos should be for three missions, not four, since we'll be forced to accept the fifth one no matter what.